Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 10:29:58 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: 2014 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits                                              25 - 27 April, 2014                               Indiana Convention Center  -  Indianapolis, IN                              600 exihibitors, covering over 400,000 sq ft                                Seminars, dinners, and the Annual Meeting of Members                              BulllpupForum.com will be in attendance.  See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . .
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  16.5" FDE Left Handed Tavor Conversion
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 16.5" FDE Left Handed Tavor Conversion  (Read 1865 times)
Odin01

« on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

Yesterday I pick up 2x LH bolts from Sgt_P.  Luckily Sgt_P live close enough to meet up.  Saved me on shipping.  Jon.. Thanks again.

So last night I decide to sit down and install the LH bolt.  It only took me 1.5 hrs and I am in no way a gun smith.  I am pretty sure, others on the board could do it in half the time.  I was happy I got the rifle back together and working.  With not extra parts left over.  I hate when that happens.  Also, the LH bolts come with a barrel wrench.  It was life saver, I don't know how others are able to turn the barrel bolt without it.  Even with the wrench it took some torque.

The conversion wasn't too bad, but I pretty much has to disasembly the entire Tavor to do.  Only thing I didn't touch was the trigger and trigger pack.
I was actually planning on just changing out the bolt and trying to run the Tavor with the charging handle on the left side.  To see if it would work for me.  Not sure if it was mistake on my part, but the charging handle keep jamming up the bolt carrier to the point where it required force to get it out.  After switching over the charging handle the issue went away.  Looks like to me the LH conversion requires the charging handle switched too.  Has any one been able to just change the bolt out??

Here are the tools I used for the job.

1) Good set of Allen wrenhes

2) Good set of Roll pin punches (I have had cheap ones bend or break on me)

- Recommend the ones from Grace USA

3) Hammer (used a brass one)

4) Barrel wrench

5) Good lube for the bolt and carrier

The manual was very detail and great resource.  Also, this site was huge help and made the job easier then flipping between pages.  

http://www.ltwerner.com/tavor.ltwerner/howtoprocedures.phtml?id=10  

I am not going to go thru step by step the conversion process since the manual and site above do such a good job.  I am just going show some pics and discuss some issues/concerns I discovers.

Here is the a pic of new LH bolt all packed up. Always nice to have extra

Here is pic of the LH and RH bolt

Here are pics of completed LH Tavor:

Here is pic of deflector plate switched over.  Quick note, the plate is actually in 2 parts.  It needs to be lifted and slid off.  Don't try to force it off.

Here is pic of the bolt carrier.  One issue I see is, now the bolt carrer pin is exposed, just paranoid it might pop out.  Probably won't happen.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:14:32 PM by Odin01 » Logged
PSYCHOinMe

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »

You can run the charging handle left side or right side regardless of which bolt you have. I had mine charging in the left hand configuration with a right hand bolt until I recently received the left hand bolt. Sounds like you forgot to switch the general pin to the other side.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:09:35 PM by PSYCHOinMe » Logged
Rick53

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »

Do you an interest in selling the right handed bolt and one of the wrenches? If not I will just get one Monday from IWI US. On Monday
Odin01

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »

So the general pin controls which side the charging handle goes on.  I changed the general pin like the manual said.  Thanks for the info.

You can run the charging handle left side or right side regardless of which bolt you have. I had mine charging in the left hand configuration with a right hand bolt until I recently received the left hand bolt. Sounds like you forgot to switch the general pin to the other side.
Odin01

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »

Thanks for the offer, but was planning on keeping the RH bolt.

Do you an interest in selling the right handed bolt and one of the wrenches? If not I will just get one Monday from IWI US. On Monday
Sgt_P
Administrator
Bullpup Fanatic

SEMPER FIDELIS

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

Good job Odin01!!

A couple of notes.  I'm slowing getting through the pre-orders on BullpupArmory.com.  I'll send each person an email as I'm preparing to ship the LH bolts (or the 5.56 mags).

The 9mm kits are still a few weeks out...

------------------

Also, BullpupArmory.com will be carrying Right Handed Bolts in the near future.  And barrel wrenches, and fore-grip rails, etc, etc...

"Retreat, hell we just got here!" 
Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)
xpdchief

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »

Good job Odin01!!

A couple of notes.  I'm slowing getting through the pre-orders on BullpupArmory.com.  I'll send each person an email as I'm preparing to ship the LH bolts (or the 5.56 mags).

------------------

Also, BullpupArmory.com will be carrying Right Handed Bolts in the near future.  And barrel wrenches, and fore-grip rails, etc, etc...

Thanks for the update Jon!

Respectfully submitted,
Brian
Odin01

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »

Sgt_P.. Thanks again.  Looking forward to the 9mm kits.

Good job Odin01!!

------------------

Radionicist

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »

Odin01, thou thanks for the post! I frequently referred to it, and to the link you supplied, while converting my Tavor to left-hand operation. The conversion took me about an hour, but I took time to clean the rifle while I had it apart, so it took longer. I think I could convert it back very quickly, now that I know how everything fits together.

Odin01

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »

Glad this thread helped.  I know that web site was huge help to me too.

I didn't clean the entire rifle during the conversion, but I did take the time to clean and lube the bolt and carrier.

Odin01, thou thanks for the post! I frequently referred to it, and to the link you supplied, while converting my Tavor to left-hand operation. The conversion took me about an hour, but I took time to clean the rifle while I had it apart, so it took longer. I think I could convert it back very quickly, now that I know how everything fits together.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length