Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:27:56 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  STICKY:Tavor DIY projects, modifications,aftermarket parts & upgrades MEGATHREAD
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: STICKY:Tavor DIY projects, modifications,aftermarket parts & upgrades MEGATHREAD  (Read 188355 times)
PSYCHOinMe

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »

You seem to be good at figuring things out. Now try to figure out how to resize your pics so we don't need a 50" computer screen to view them.
I came up with a mod for the magwell.the problem my mod attempts to solve is that I noticed while doing mag changes that the tavor seemed to be very picky about magazine position during insertion. If the magazine isn't almost perfectly aligned the channel in the rear of the well would push the magazine forward against the front of the magwell either making the magazine go all cockeyed or causing the front of the mag to jam against the front of the well. This mostly happened when I attempted to insert the mag at a slight side to side angle. So this is my solution I opened the rear channel up in the shape of a V so that if a mag is inserted slightly at an angle the opening will allow the magazine rib in the back of the mag to fall in the channel thus allowing the magazine to continue to be inserted into the magwell
tools need are a dremel/or air grinder with pointed carbide cutters, medium sized hand file,small hand files about 5.5",air blow gun,120grit sandpaper
Zombhntr

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:10 AM »

If you choose to do the mod I would say maybe don't open the V quite so wide. I followed a factory line provided by the chamfer in the magwell and it seems to be more than necessary.this magwell modification seems to really ease the somewhat finicky nature of the magwell as I have observed it. Maybe you don't have the same issues I did but I have always kinda rolled mags into the magwell of my AR15's and my tavor would reject this technique sometimes to the point I dropped the mag a couple times and I feel that when tired,worn out,or jacked up on adrenaline this modification will help make those less than perfect mag changes work a little better.here's a pic of the finished product with a magazine inserted.I also noticed in one of the pics my V wasn't quite symmetrical I assure you that I corrected it shortly after taking the pic  thanks for reading

* 2013-06-27_02-27-19_642.jpg (1021.07 KB, 3264x1836 - viewed 950 times.)

* 2013-06-27_02-30-12_185.jpg (983.28 KB, 3264x1836 - viewed 657 times.)

When the shtf I've got a pooper scooper
Zombhntr

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2013, 03:43:10 AM »

Im sorry I don't have a computer and make all my posts from a smart phone that is sadly smarter than I am if that is a problem feel free not to read my post thanks

pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »

@Zombhntr
Great job!!!
We need more people like you in this thread.
Does this mod help also with mag drop free or has nothing to do with that?

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Zombhntr

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2013, 05:33:34 AM »

Hey pretorian im glad you like it I've grown to respect your opinion on all things tavor.to answer your question it really wasn't geared towards drop free mostly to ease insertion of a mag. I personally don't worry so much about drop free mag as im a grip and strip fella myself.I would shy away from opening up the main body of the magwell too much for fear of making it too loose with some mags in some severe cases it could lead to functionality issues where the feed lips contact the bolt during operation(I've seen it on ak's with poorly cut magwell)  but I havnt studied bolt to mag clearances yet enough to know weather its a nonissue or a major concern. Its scary cutting on a rifle that's brand new and cost 2k I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to do it

Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »

Zombhntr, good job. Looks like there is plenty of meat back there to do this. I may have to give it a try some day.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
reapur

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »

You seem to be good at figuring things out. Now try to figure out how to resize your pics so we don't need a 50" computer screen to view them.

if you use firefox, use this extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-zoom/
Takes the irritation out of large pics, plus lets you zoom in and out.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2013, 12:20:50 AM »

Free floating the barrel is something I am very interested. And yes the handgaurd gets pretty warm

I'd be more interested in a free floated barrel if IWI release barrel blanks and/or extensions for aftermarket barrels.

The first step towards free floating your barrel.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eP4Pp1Ddqoc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eP4Pp1Ddqoc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

These Black Rain flash hiders are the best looking flash hiders for the Tavor! Websites sell them for $99 to $109 plus shipping.I can sell these to members for $70 plus $5 shipping.Just send me a pm if you want one!

* BR 001.JPG (293.06 KB, 858x644 - viewed 750 times.)

* BR 002.JPG (226.03 KB, 858x644 - viewed 634 times.)

* BR 004.JPG (229 KB, 858x644 - viewed 1068 times.)

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Zombhntr

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »

Holy evil blackness im in love  Evil

genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »

These Black Rain flash hiders are the best looking flash hiders for the Tavor!

How do they stackup against the stock stock flash suppressor and others?

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »

These Black Rain flash hiders are the best looking flash hiders for the Tavor!

How do they stackup against the stock stock flash suppressor and others?

This is what I want to know. They look mean as hell, but do they do a better job of suppressing the flash?

Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »

I think they work good.There's YouTube videos with Black Rain ARs shooting with the brake on.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
edcurtis

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2013, 03:10:22 AM »

The first step towards free floating your barrel.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eP4Pp1Ddqoc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eP4Pp1Ddqoc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

I'm sure it's already been posted before, but my searching is weak.  What is the purpose of the "U"?  Does the barrel not get hot enough to melt it?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »

Ed,

Pretorian says the U spacer is there for the IDF models to help stabilize the front sight. So for the flat top models it serves no purpose since the front sight is on the rail. I don't know what type of material it is. Some kind of rubber because it is flexible. Maybe a Viton type material to resist the heat and not melt?

More discussion can be found here;

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=3383.0

Fjallhrafn

Dracarys

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »

I hate those Black Rain things.

Dumbest thing ever. Unless your objective is to have a muzzle device that can double a bit for a roto-zip.

"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."
edcurtis

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2013, 02:40:26 AM »

Dumbest thing ever. Unless your objective is to have a muzzle device that can double a bit for a roto-zip.

I think that I'd hurt myself with it.  Too sharp.  Tongue
Fjallhrafn

Dracarys

« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »

I think that I'd hurt myself with it.  Too sharp.  Tongue

They are too sharp. I once made the mistake of attempting to catch one of their rifles when one slipped from someone's hands at five feet... next time it happens, I'm not going to do a damned thing, except stomp on the gun after it hits the ground. Damned thing tore a great big chunk of flesh out of my hand.

"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."
NoShelter

« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »

This is my super-amateur foam battery holder. Please note I did this in about 5 minutes. It's quick and dirty, but it works great.

Started with a EVA foam (yoga block).

Cut out the rough shape of the storage compartment in the buttstock of the Tavor.

Did some quick-fitting with an exacto knife.

Use a drill to put holes to hold the batteries.

Placed 4 batteries for my Aimpoint PRO in the buttstock.

I chose not to store batteries inside the handgrip because in the field it is a gigantic pain in the ass to get in there.

* TavorFoam1.jpg (1069.89 KB, 2593x1877 - viewed 399 times.)

* TavorFoam2.jpg (611.7 KB, 1797x1345 - viewed 432 times.)

* TavorFoam3.jpg (982.98 KB, 2049x1549 - viewed 483 times.)
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »

That is some good combat engineering there NoShelter!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length