Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:20:09 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  STICKY:Tavor DIY projects, modifications,aftermarket parts & upgrades MEGATHREAD
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: STICKY:Tavor DIY projects, modifications,aftermarket parts & upgrades MEGATHREAD  (Read 188348 times)
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

Bingo!

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »

Ok I will have to try this and take pictures. Already did the "U" thing.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

Lots of pictures and notes for us knuckleheads.

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »

Lots of pictures and notes for us knuckleheads.
I have 4622 tavor pictures ... you want them all? Evil

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »

Only those that are appropriate along with those that have local color, flora and fauna...

Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »

Only those that are appropriate along with those that have local color, flora and fauna...

Or any with hot women in them!

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »

Didn't I say that?

Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »

Didn't I say that?

You did but more eloquently. I'm a little rougher around the edges...

Lu-Wa

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »

Lu-Wa, did you drill holes in the barrel? You call it the closest to integral as you could do, so I was curious if your gun still functions normally without the suppressor or not. I live in the same state as you, but unfortunately not very close, as I would love to check it out. Definitely keep us up to date when you get the chance to test it more.

No holes drilled, so everything is good to go if you want to remove it.
Lu-Wa

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »

Been thinking about an integral suppressor (or, as much of one as you can get on a Tavor) and came up with this. Only 6 1/4 in long, with about 3 1/8 in OAL added. It sounds great with standard velocity ammo, and when using light loads it is insanely quiet. Not going to make any dB claims without a real meter though. Enjoy!

Not to get ahead of the game, but what about something similar in 9mm for the conversion kit?
I would have interest in both (5.56 and 9mm.)

I'd have to get a hold of a 9mm conversion kit to test it, but making a 9mm version wouldn't be very difficult at all. I would just have to see what the demand for one would be, but it is definitely an option.
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »

I'd have to get a hold of a 9mm conversion kit to test it, but making a 9mm version wouldn't be very difficult at all. I would just have to see what the demand for one would be, but it is definitely an option.

What's the schedule for release? (5.56)
How long would it take to get the 9mm done from the time you get a conversion kit?

You might notice, there is some interest.
I like the size...small.
A video might lend an idea as to the functional aspects.

richm2004

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »

Lu-Wa, did you drill holes in the barrel? You call it the closest to integral as you could do, so I was curious if your gun still functions normally without the suppressor or not. I live in the same state as you, but unfortunately not very close, as I would love to check it out. Definitely keep us up to date when you get the chance to test it more.

No holes drilled, so everything is good to go if you want to remove it.

Is it a take apart can?  Monocore?  SS or Aluminum baffles?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

I have bought suppressors that were not as quiet as others just because they were all stainless and take apart.

Just sayin'

richm2004

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »

I dont think Aluminum would be a good choice for 556/223 so more than likely its steel.  One could size the suppressor bore for 9mm...that way its multi use....just not optimized for 223/556 use.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »

Definitely not. I was thinking of the 9mm version.

A take apart can for 556 would be a challenge but it's been done. It needs to be stainless or inconel.

joel

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »

just wanted to say thanks a ton, Gear Head and Pretorian. I'm not having any issues with the mechanics, and a few pictures is all I need, but if you think this is the kind of stuff that needs a gun smith, say so. I wouldn't know better on that account. I nearly took a dremel to a sear until I read not to do so on here. ;-)

Altogether, this sounds like the most awesome platform... the trigger mods are encouraging (even despite some issues with resets noted), and now freeing up the barrel doesn't sound as bad as I feared too.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »

just wanted to say thanks a ton, Gear Head and Pretorian. I'm not having any issues with the mechanics, and a few pictures is all I need, but if you think this is the kind of stuff that needs a gun smith, say so. I wouldn't know better on that account. I nearly took a dremel to a sear until I read not to do so on here. ;-)

Altogether, this sounds like the most awesome platform... the trigger mods are encouraging (even despite some issues with resets noted), and now freeing up the barrel doesn't sound as bad as I feared too.

Don't butcher your trigger parts with a dremel! I'm studying the trigger pack when I get time and Pretorian is a wealth of knowledge. As soon as there is a DIY trigger job it will posted here.

Lu-Wa

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:05 AM »

Update on the suppressor.

The prototype was made with aluminum and SS, I forget the grades. The production model will be Titanium (grade 5 for the tubing and 7 for the end caps) throughout, except the baffles which would be stainless. Now, I can do Inconel, but of course the price would reflect the cost that Inconel mandates. I might try to do some work with Inconel and offer two versions: one with SS and the other with Inconel.

As far as ETA until it is ready for sale. We are in the process of getting quotes on Titanium from one of the local guys that CNCs our lowers, and once we figure out how much it's going to run, then we can start getting a batch manufactured. Once we get the Ti versions done, I can post up the new weights and a price quote.

Also, I think I've got a good dB reader tracked down. Once I can get my hands on that, I'll be able to post up the performance for you guys. Depending on how well it stacks up on paper, changes may be made to achieve better numbers if it is necessary, but I'm fairly confident that it will hold up.

I'm trying to think of anything else, but I think that is where we are at the moment. Thanks for all the questions guys. If you have anything else you want to know, post it up here or PM and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: I saw someone asked about a video. I can upload one if you guys would like. Of course a video can't really convey how well it performs, but I can get one up so everyone can check it out.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:40:50 AM by Lu-Wa » Logged
richm2004

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

Will it be take apart and is the baffle mono core?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »

Update on the suppressor.

The prototype was made with aluminum and SS, I forget the grades. The production model will be Titanium (grade 5 for the tubing and 7 for the end caps) throughout, except the baffles which would be stainless. Now, I can do Inconel, but of course the price would reflect the cost that Inconel mandates. I might try to do some work with Inconel and offer two versions: one with SS and the other with Inconel.

As far as ETA until it is ready for sale. We are in the process of getting quotes on Titanium from one of the local guys that CNCs our lowers, and once we figure out how much it's going to run, then we can start getting a batch manufactured. Once we get the Ti versions done, I can post up the new weights and a price quote.

Also, I think I've got a good dB reader tracked down. Once I can get my hands on that, I'll be able to post up the performance for you guys. Depending on how well it stacks up on paper, changes may be made to achieve better numbers if it is necessary, but I'm fairly confident that it will hold up.

I'm trying to think of anything else, but I think that is where we are at the moment. Thanks for all the questions guys. If you have anything else you want to know, post it up here or PM and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: I saw someone asked about a video. I can upload one if you guys would like. Of course a video can't really convey how well it performs, but I can get one up so everyone can check it out.

You may want to research using titanium for suppressor construction some more. While it is a nice material is doesn't do well with the heat like stainless or inconel does. There are very vew titanium suppresors out there for a reason. Most of the ones that are out there are designed for bolt action guns where the rate of fire is slow.

There is excellent suppressor discussion over on silencertalk.com. Many industry professionals hang out there as well. There is a whole section for making your own and silencer design.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length