Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:21:31 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  STICKY:Tavor DIY projects, modifications,aftermarket parts & upgrades MEGATHREAD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: STICKY:Tavor DIY projects, modifications,aftermarket parts & upgrades MEGATHREAD  (Read 188351 times)
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »

The pin can be pushed by hand with a punch or allen wrench. You don't even need a hammer. It's smaller than 1/8", I think I used a 3/32 allen wrench.

I shot mine some more today without the extra spring and had no issues. I am intentionally not cleaning the trigger pack to see how long it lasts before I see failures to reset. Maybe some guns are just a little bit different and don't work as well witout the spring. I was shooing with 2 other Tavor owners today and we removed the spring in one of their guns at the range and they loved the improvement and had no issues.

At least it is easy enough and free to try it. You can always go back.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »

That's a good one Pretorian!

I had a thread about the trigger pack extension spring removal to have a lighter trigger. Link below. My average trigger pull weight is 8lbs 2.5oz according to my digital scale. With the spring in the same pack I got 10lbs 3oz. You can easily see the spring in the two packs in the picture. Stock on the right, spring removed on the left.

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2558.0

Future products and ideas will be shared here as well. Hopefully this becomes a sticky!

So could a lighter spring be used? Or isn't that an Option?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 10:59:40 PM »

Of course a lighter sring could be used to bridge the gap between the two free options (spring or no spring) but someone would have to calculate the current spring rate and order one that was lighter. I use Lee Spring for many spring applications. They have spring engineers that can help you pick something too. The problem is that you have to buy a minimum quantity.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
PapaJoeTx

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »

ive used Ace hardware!  Wink
PapaJoeTx

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

What about a quadrail similar to the one in the picture?

It may only work on the 18s though...

* 20130423_075841.jpg (2149.68 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 1270 times.)

* 20130423_075853.jpg (2140.88 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 878 times.)
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »

PapaJoeTx,

Keep an eye out. There just may be something announced in the coming weeks.  Wink

richm2004

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

PapaJoeTx,

Keep an eye out. There just may be something announced in the coming weeks.  Wink

NICE...that would give a nice place to put a rail mounted tape switch!
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »

PapaJoeTx,

I have already worked that into the design.

richm2004

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »

PapaJoeTx,

Make sure you match the Tavor's FDE color Wink
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »

PapaJoeTx,

Make sure you match the Tavor's FDE color Wink

That is something I haven't addressed yet but will. Have to have parts before I can finish them.

joel

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »

okay. The free floating barrel mod I heard mentioned... who knows how to do it or what parts I should look at?

Pretorian? Gear Head? Any ideas? I know the charging handle is a part of the problem?

Or maybe I should just wait for an x95 US version?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »

I modded mine but haven't had a chance to test it yet so I wasn't going to post it. But since you asked...

If you look in the front of your gun (don't be stupid and unload it first!) above the barrel just inside the upper handguard is an upside down "U" shaped piece. Your forearm screws thread into it on both sides. There is yet another "U" inside of that part that is held in with a roll pin that you can see as well. I pulled that whole thing out of mine, knocked the roll pin out and slide the inside part out of the main part. When it's all put back together nothing touches the barrel. At least nothing related to that part. The charging handle I don't think really effects the barrel when it is in it's locked forward position.

Removing that "inside U" did two things for me. One as I mentioned removed pressure on the barrel from the forend. The other is it doesn't let heat transfer to the handguard screws directly anymore. Those little things can get hot and let you know when you touch them! After I removed that I could push against the forearm and pull agianst the barrel and make the forearm flex over. So I know that it could have been applying pressure to the barrel. During normal handling I don't expect that little bit of play to be any kind of issue at all.

Like I said though, I haven't been able to shoot a group to see if accuracy has improved. I'm still searching for an answer to that problem. I will check the muzzle crown after I test this mod. I don't want to try 2 things at once.

buddybaja
^

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 11:38:25 PM »

Yes those screws get WARM lol. Whats wrong with accuracy?
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 02:28:52 AM »

The charging handle I don't think really effects the barrel when it is in it's locked forward position.
The handguard touches the charging handle assembly=>The charging handle assembly toches the barrel =The handguard touches the barrel.
I'll take pictures later and post modded charging handle assembly that does not touch the barrel.
This step is needed, in addition to what you have allready done, to truely free float the handguard.
You will also need locking nuts for the handguard screws if you will remove the both  "U"s.

Edit: Pictures Attached.

* IMG_2643.JPG (147.99 KB, 648x484 - viewed 1371 times.)

* IMG_2644.JPG (149.22 KB, 648x484 - viewed 1091 times.)

* IMG_2641.JPG (150.36 KB, 648x484 - viewed 1016 times.)

* IMG_2640.JPG (131.85 KB, 648x484 - viewed 982 times.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:02:10 AM by pretorian » Logged

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »

Pretorian,

I haven't looked real closely but when the handle is in it's full forward position locked does the end of that "finger" still touch that barrel band thing?

Also, I only removed the insert to that U shaped part that has the threaded holes so I don't need additional nuts.

I see what was done to the charging handle so that it doesn't use that barrel band at all. Seems simple enough. Now if I only knew somebody that makes charging handles...  chin scratching

pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »

I haven't looked real closely but when the handle is in it's full forward position locked does the end of that "finger" still touch that barrel band thing?
It does...
Now if I only knew somebody that makes charging handles...  chin scratching
Grin Grin Grin
While at it you, could build a free  floating hand guard that has charging handles on both sides and replaces both top and bottom original hand guards.

Let me know if you are interested , I have a design in mind...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:23:57 AM by pretorian » Logged

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »

Any chance of getting a video for this process? (when appropriate, pretorian)

It would also be nice to understand the risk/benefit of the change. I know its in process, but as more is known please (pretty please) share.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:50:55 AM by genStrat » Logged

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

I had already thought about a replacement upper that would put the handle straight out instead of angled up but not had time to look into it. Too busy working on my lower handguard. I'll email you and see if I can incorporate your designed upper into my lower or something. Call it the Pretorian-Head or Gearian design lol!

Don't worry genStrat, this board is where I post what I know. Nowhere else. I just don't want to post until I have answers to questions that I'm sure will be asked.

pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Any chance of getting a video for this process?

It would also be nice to understand the risk/benefit of the change. I know its in process, but as more is known please (pretty please) share.

There is no risk. Totally reversible. You remove the sight stabilizer( "U"), and use an old style charging handle.
Benefit: free floated hand guard.
Risk: Some stuck cases that you can clear with  new style charging handle, you might have to "mortar" with the old style charging handle.
I will gladly make a video, but I see no point before anyone has the needed parts(GearHead, SEF,etc.. Are you listening?  Wink) to make the conversion.

* front sight stabilizer.JPG (25.31 KB, 645x526 - viewed 710 times.)

* Charging handle second gen.JPG (17.26 KB, 886x581 - viewed 699 times.)

* Free Floating.JPG (43.89 KB, 512x759 - viewed 879 times.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:48:25 AM by pretorian » Logged

Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:33 AM »

The charging handle I don't think really effects the barrel when it is in it's locked forward position.
The handguard touches the charging handle assembly=>The charging handle assembly toches the barrel =The handguard touches the barrel.
I'll take pictures later and post modded charging handle assembly that does not touch the barrel.
This step is needed, in addition to what you have allready done, to truely free float the handguard.
You will also need locking nuts for the handguard screws if you will remove the both  "U"s.

Edit: Pictures Attached.

I bet this could be a fairly easy DIY project now that I've thought about it. The barrel comes out easily enough. I could simply remove the barrel band the charging handle pushed against and pin the charging handle so it doesn't pivot anymore. Then you could remove the flat spring that's under it that locks it forward since now the bolt carrier would be what is holding it forward.

You would be saving weight as a bonus!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length