Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2017, 01:33:03 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits       -       27 through 30, April, 2017       -       Atlanta, Georgia

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  STICKY: Tavor design sketch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: STICKY: Tavor design sketch  (Read 54516 times)
JCS

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »

Pretorian,

Todah rabah.  VERY interesting.
NoShelter

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »

I think one of the biggest difficulties bullpups have is the trigger.  With a traditional design the trigger sits right below the action.  With a bullpup the action is well behind the trigger.  It is difficult to get a trigger like that to feel good.

Thats one even I can easily understand.
Maybe its time for one of these Bullpup Forum master fabricators to get busy and develop a match level trigger "assembly."

Yes...no...
...instant built in market.

I'm planning on yanking out the extra reset spring, and then going to town on the hammer pack with qtips and metal polish.

I'm hoping that will make a slight difference until we get some match grade stuff on the market.
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »

This from the December 2012 Military Channel series "Combat Countdown" (episode 9 first aired Dec 19, 2012), the Tavor was listed as the number 7 out of 10 most revolutionary war machines. It was stacked up against all categories of military hardware including an anti-missile system, tanks, helicopter/aircraft and an aircraft carrier. The winner was the M2 Bradley. The Tavor was the only small arm on the list.

...a deceptively small contributor in the company of giants and a great historical note for the Tavor's résumé.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:10:33 PM by genStrat » Logged

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »

A simple short video from Versia Military Design on the Tavor CTAR 21:

<a href="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/VnNvOApstZM?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/VnNvOApstZM?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:02:06 PM by genStrat » Logged

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
WraithsOfWrath

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »

Dude that was awesome Cheesy
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

These photos . . . are amazing
sgt. mac
^

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »

Pretorian, we need more info!  Inquiring minds want to know.   Grin
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »

Please let me organise all the info and pictures. I want to double check my info before posting unbased BS.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
MacKai

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »

Thank Pretorian... for posting the info AND double checking it
joel

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »

wow... I just love all the info Pretorian... thanks for all this. I find the design just as enthralling as the blasting.
dawg180
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »

Why does the bullpup design not get more attention and use. From my perspective, it has many advantages not possible in "normal" rifles of like capability. Are there practical issues with the design that make it generally undesirable or is it simply a "not invented here" attitude or something else equally irrational.

As far as military adoption as a service rifle, it is simply "corporate inertia."  Remember, the guys who make the training and procurement decisions went through basic training and indoctrination typical 30 years behind the present.  In addition, adopting a new rifle is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE undertaking.  You aren't just adopting a rifle and fielding it, you have to stock parts, repair tools, specialized accessories, train every single soldier on it, and also train maintenance and logistics on it, plus inevitably end up discovering quirks or having the troubleshoot issues once adopted. 

In regards to say a new 5.56 Bullpup vs. the current incarnation of the M-4/M-16 in the USA, you simply don't gain anything really beyond shorter length, but it costs a hell of a lot of time, money, resources, and the inevitable risk of something not actually working right when it is adopted, all to just throw a 5.56 round downrange in the end.

That being said, bullpups have been adopted by several counties (Britain, France, Austria, Australia, Israel, Singapore, and a host of smaller nations who purchased the designs made by those countries) so they are making inroads as time goes on. The XM21 20mm greande launcher is also a bullpup and has been in limited service in the U.S. for a few years.
gunnut165

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »

Very cool thanks for sharing.
Rivron5
New Posting Member

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »

Great info- Thanks so much for sharing. Exciting future for the Bullpup Design.
davidp1911

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2013, 02:45:27 AM »

Awesome post and photo sketches.  It's amazing to see the evolution of the TAVOR resulting in what we have today.  Looking forward to see the next incarnation in the near future.
Grevlin

"Fly birdies! fly!"

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »

Brand new member.

This thread is one of the things that convinced me to buy a Tavor very soon, and join the forum.

The design steps are fantastic, and the logic simple and sound. It's clearly designed by people who have to literally defend their lives on a daily basis.  

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:20:31 AM by Grevlin » Logged
rpedro

IDF16 Perfectionist

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:34 PM »

Wow... Stumbled across this thread... Very cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Draughn101

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »

Pretorian, thanks for all the information!  Really cool thread.  Do you work for IWI, or is this personal research?  

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:03:59 PM by Draughn101 » Logged
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »

I do not work for IWI. The Tavor project has been a passion of mine for more than a decade.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
Draughn101

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

I do not work for IWI. The Tavor project has been a passion of mine for more than a decade.

I completely understand that.  About eight years ago I went through Intelligence Analyst school for the US Army and my graduation research was about the advantages of this weapon over the M-4.  I've been obsessed with it ever since.  After graduating from college I was managing a gun store and finally got a chance to buy one.  It was better than I expected and completely amazing to finally get my hands on it after 8 years of admiration.  I had a chance to shoot the L98, or one of its variants, on my deployment to Afghanistan, and I've shot the aug, but I don't feel like the compare to the tavor. 

I recently applied to IWI for a marketing and sales assistant position opening, so I'm hoping all that obsession will finally pay off. 

Thanks again for all the pictures!

JP

I feel it..

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

I believe Bullpups are still the rifles/shotguns of the future. No longer are the wars fought in the jungles or the desert. They're fought from door to door where you want your silhouette as small as possible.

Totally agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length