Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 08:46:27 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  STICKY: Tavor design sketch
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: STICKY: Tavor design sketch  (Read 69335 times)
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »

Polymer body evolution:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:14:08 PM by Sgt_P » Logged

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »

Pretorian,
Thanks for the persistence!
The pictures and info are great.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:25:02 PM by genStrat » Logged

Our duty: To honor, serve and protect those who protect us
pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »

Latest polymer body called Meron from Versia:

* Meron3.jpg (123.76 KB, 453x255 - viewed 20390 times.)

* meron-2.jpg (26.76 KB, 657x396 - viewed 2502 times.)

* meron_c.jpg (21.2 KB, 435x329 - viewed 1743 times.)

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »

Latest polymer body called Meron from Versia

Nice designs!
Like the Meron 3 best.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:26:07 PM by genStrat » Logged

MacKai

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »

+1 on the Meron 3 .....

Pretorian if you have time can you fill in some of the story on this variant?
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »

Pretorian if you have time can you fill in some of the story on this variant?

I'd love to see any of the history and story you feel inclined to fill in on all of the pictures as well as any other info you feel appropriate.

sgt. mac
^

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »

We need to make this a sticky, please.  There is too much info to let this slip through the cracks. 

Pretorian, thank you sir for sharing this info with us.  I have never seen this info in any gun periodical or gun encyclopedia.  If you are able to, can you elaborate any on the MTAR, X95 and CTAR models?  Perhaps stages with years or other relevant data.  Finally, can you talk about the Meron design?  Is it a totally different weapon, or is it a body kit that fits the Tavor ala' the Magal/Hezi?

* 467_tavor-mtar.jpg (10.76 KB, 300x183 - viewed 873 times.)
racky
^

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »

Interesting Progression of designs, that last FDE MERON 3, looks like it came out of the "ALIENS" movie, Thanks for the picts.
TruBrew

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »

I googled Versia Meron and found this

Is this how the weapon of the future will look? At the 2012 Eurosatory Exhibition in Paris, Israeli company Versia Military Design unveiled a new concept for a future assault rifle with a Bullpup configuration.

Based on the Israeli Tavor, the new rifle was designed as an independent enterprise. It possesses unique design, ergonomic and material characteristics, and constitutes a declaration of intents for Versia’s perception of future trends in the design of small arms.
The weapon was designed to incorporate components and functions currently available for assault rifles into a compact, futuristic unit.

Its prominent characteristics are a polymer casing intertwined with aluminum components, a 5.56 mm diameter design, and full ergonomic compatibility for left-handed and right-handed users.

The weapon includes four Picatinny rails, retractable integral bipods, multiple grip options, a cheek rest, a telescopic stock, a concealable barrel, and a flash suppresser, and also allows for the attachment of optic, silencing, and launcher measures.

Although there has been a decline in the appeal of Bullpup, and the US still has reservations about this configuration, Versia believes that there is room for development in this unique family of firearms. The company wants to elevate it to a level that can compete with weapons such as the M16 and SCAR.

http://stardefense.blogspot.com/2012/08/meron-assault-rifle.html
byoung

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »

Very cool thread!
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

Why does the bullpup design not get more attention and use. From my perspective, it has many advantages not possible in "normal" rifles of like capability. Are there practical issues with the design that make it generally undesirable or is it simply a "not invented here" attitude or something else equally irrational.

WLJ

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »

Why does the bullpup design not get more attention and use. From my perspective, it has many advantages not possible in "normal" rifles of like capability. Are there practical issues with the design that make it generally undesirable or is it simply a "not invented here" attitude or something else equally irrational.

While bullpups have their advantages they also usually have certain disadvantages such as
1) Usually harder to clear a jam, some are a PITA
2) Usually not as lefty friendly
3) Mag changes are a bit slower, some a lot slower.
4) Eject port on most designs is close to your ear thus more noise. Try shooting one without ear protection and you'll see what I mean. It bothers some but not all.
5) Related to #4, gas in face from the eject port from time to time. Varies greatly from design to design and with ammo used.
6) Tradition   
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:01 PM »

While bullpups have their advantages they also usually have certain disadvantages such as

Tradition I can believe.
Harder to clear, I'm not familiar with yet.
I can understand the possibility of being louder and more gas since everything is closer.

I have seen too many videos showing quick mag changes, particularly on the Tavor, to feel they are any slower. Ambidextrous, well, it seems more bullpups are designed to work the same left or right handed from the initial designs. Some are better then others, but being left handed, I keep coming back to bullpups. Most weapons, firearms, are designed from the right handed perspective with afterthought conversions to left handed. At least thats my perspective, biased as it is in a right handed world.

Anyway, its good to learn!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:19:24 PM by genStrat » Logged

Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »

I believe Bullpups are still the rifles/shotguns of the future. No longer are the wars fought in the jungles or the desert. They're fought from door to door where you want your silhouette as small as possible.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:50:32 PM by Snapperhead363 » Logged

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 09:54:54 PM »

...you want your silhouette as small as possible.

It would seem that is the key.
Small silhouette, small footprint, high maneuverability/control, less risk in running out of room or snagging on something. Then there is the fact that the center of gravity is closer to the holder providing greater use and advantage. I can't think of a better direction to evolve at the moment.

It would appear the Meron 3 is yet another step forward. I would upgrade to that design.
Personally, I like the evolution.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:03:13 PM by genStrat » Logged

Ntelligent-Donkey

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »

I think one of the biggest difficulties bullpups have is the trigger.  With a traditional design the trigger sits right below the action.  With a bullpup the action is well behind the trigger.  It is difficult to get a trigger like that to feel good.
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »

That's true. The only Bullpup trigger I've ever pulled that was as good or better than a conventional rifle is the DTA SRS.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
genStrat
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »

I think one of the biggest difficulties bullpups have is the trigger.  With a traditional design the trigger sits right below the action.  With a bullpup the action is well behind the trigger.  It is difficult to get a trigger like that to feel good.

Thats one even I can easily understand.
Maybe its time for one of these Bullpup Forum master fabricators to get busy and develop a match level trigger "assembly."

Yes...no...
...instant built in market.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:17:51 AM by genStrat » Logged

Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »

Somebody needs the schematic from the SRS!

pretorian
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:16 AM »

Bolt action triggers are different than semiauto. Like releasing a spring loaded firing pin vs. releasing a hammer. Jus sayin' ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length