Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 12:06:12 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: The 3rd Annual  BULLPUP CONVENTION                                              27 - 28 September, 2014                               Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY                              Saturday Manufacturers Showcase and Live Shoot                                Sunday The Bullpup Challenge                              See you there!!                

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  TAVOR or ?????
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TAVOR or ?????  (Read 1826 times)
Zohar368

« on: March 24, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »

In the unfortunate event that I am unable to find and buy a TAR-21 what other bullpup designs do people enjoy owning? I was looking into maybe the Kel-Tec RFB (I like the fact that its chambered to .308/7.62) or the FS2000 (I wouldnt have to change kit/setup)

Anyways all input is appreciated 

Factors that I am primarily concerned with:
(1) Reliability 
(2) Accuracy
(3) Ammo Availability and Cost
(4) Ease of Maintenance
HybridKid

Molon Labe!!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »

.308 will be more expensive with the RFB. 
Reliability and accuracy I don't know how the RFB is compared to the Tavor. 

Thanks and Be Safe.
wfcwfc

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »

FS2000
Or
AUG A3
Singu1arity

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »

Aug a3 is the only .223 bullpup I would consider.
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »

Another vote for either the AUG A3 or FS2000. If you already have AR mags you'll have to get an AUG A3 with the NATO stock.The AUG is iconic but I do like the front ejection of the FS. To add a vertical grip to the FS you'd have to buy the FN railed forearm which runs $160 and the AUG already has it.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
CODFan

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »

Other than both being Bullpups, the RFB and Tavor are very different. I own both.

RFB is a much heavier rifle which is good to assist with the recoil of the .308

I can give you my comments on your criteria.

(1)   Reliability  
Tavor eats everything all day long. Never had a single issue.
RFB have had some feeding issues with the FAL Mags even those from DSA. No major issues with the Gen 2 RFB. Just need to set the gas adjustment properly for the ammo. This can be a PITA if changing ammo types frequently.

(2)   Accuracy
Tavor it is a battle rifle.
RFB reasonable accuracy. You can for sure get better true target rifles a .308 but IMO nothing beats the RFB as a bush style hunting rifle.

(3)   Ammo Availability and Cost
Tavor you can use bulk  .223/5.56
RFB New Quality .308 is expensive (I use 168gr Hornady AMAX for Target).Picked up some bulk steel cased surplus to see how that goes for plinking.

(4)   Ease of Maintenance
Tavor nothing better designed for ease of maintenance. Made to be easily field striped.
RFB more complicated, but not unreasonable to strip and do a basic clean. Need to be careful with the captive pins. More complicated when it comes time to clean the gas system valve.

My 2-cents for what it is worth.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:00:24 PM by CODFan » Logged

Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners. And necessity has made us allies. Those whom nature hath so joined together, let no man put asunder. What unites us is far greater than what divides us. 1961. Address to Canadian Parliament    John F. Kennedy
starscream

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »

If you've ever held an AUG and an FS2000, you'd know that the AUG is REALLY heavy on the front end. (that is compared to the FS2000)

I was going to buy the FS2000 in the event I couldn't get a Tavor.
limamike55

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »

AUG.
roaddog359

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »

I have a FS2000 and the  Tavor is  on order.  I think I will like the Tavor more.
FullAssault

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:26 PM »

FS2000
Or
AUG A3

+1 on both. Start with the AUG

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
-Samuel Adams
PapaJoeTx

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »

Na! You need an M14 Rogue!

And I just happen to have one of mine for sale Smiley

* 2013-02-19_14-54-14_265.jpg (1913.83 KB, 3264x1840 - viewed 190 times.)
WraithsOfWrath

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:19:36 AM »

How do you like that juggerbrake?
sentinel

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:23:16 AM »

I've been very pleased with my FS2000...not a single problem. no experience with the AUG. That said...I hope I can get my Tavor before Maryland screws it up for us
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:09:12 AM by sentinel » Logged
NoShelter

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »

The AUG is a very distant second, but its what I would choose.
Dave_I

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »

In the unfortunate event that I am unable to find and buy a TAR-21 what other bullpup designs do people enjoy owning?

Well, what's your timeline?  I know some areas in particular are at-risk.  However, if you want a Tavor, I would probably try and contact a distributor to see about any possible notifications.
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2457.0

Amchar, Atlantic, Bangers, Bill Hicks, camfour, CDNN, Cope's, Davidson's, Ellett Brothers, Hick's, JSC, KGI, Lipsey's, OMB, Rat Worx, Ron Shirk's, RSR and Zanders are the distributors listed in that thread.  Melissa from Copes posts here and you can email/PM her and ask to be notified if/when they have any Tavors in-stock.  Atlantic has an email notification; just click the model you want, add to cart, then if it's out of stock (it is), you can sign up for an email notification for that model:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/search/?searchword=tavor&option=com_search

If you just want a bullpup carbine and cannot afford to wait, then I can see your desire to pick a Plan B and roll with it.  If not, I would at least try to get on some waiting list.  It really should just be a matter of time.  Best of luck however you decide to go.

-Cheers
PapaJoeTx

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »

Very cool using it with a bipod, get the other model if you are using it for a standing postion though,  it actually pushes the barrell down a slight bit
Zohar368

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

In the unfortunate event that I am unable to find and buy a TAR-21 what other bullpup designs do people enjoy owning?

Well, what's your timeline?  I know some areas in particular are at-risk.  However, if you want a Tavor, I would probably try and contact a distributor to see about any possible notifications.
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2457.0

Amchar, Atlantic, Bangers, Bill Hicks, camfour, CDNN, Cope's, Davidson's, Ellett Brothers, Hick's, JSC, KGI, Lipsey's, OMB, Rat Worx, Ron Shirk's, RSR and Zanders are the distributors listed in that thread.  Melissa from Copes posts here and you can email/PM her and ask to be notified if/when they have any Tavors in-stock.  Atlantic has an email notification; just click the model you want, add to cart, then if it's out of stock (it is), you can sign up for an email notification for that model:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/search/?searchword=tavor&option=com_search

If you just want a bullpup carbine and cannot afford to wait, then I can see your desire to pick a Plan B and roll with it.  If not, I would at least try to get on some waiting list.  It really should just be a matter of time.  Best of luck however you decide to go.

-Cheers

I appreciate everyone's responses and they've given me much to ponder. I'm in no rush but a bit of a planner and always like having a Plan B,C and D. I contacted Melissa at Copes and have been placed on the wait list as well as the notification lists of several of the distributors. Thanks again for your input
Type5

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 11:18:07 AM »

Check out "Military Arms Channel" on YouTube and watch the bullpup tests - if you have not already seen them...
Zohar368

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »

Check out "Military Arms Channel" on YouTube and watch the bullpup tests - if you have not already seen them...

Already hooked on the series! Thanks though!
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length