Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 04:07:08 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: 2015 SHOT Show                                              20-23 January, 2015                               Las Vegas, NV                              The firearms industry convention and trade-show...                              ...will be covered by BullpupForum.com!                              Check back here for all the Bullpup action from SHOT Show 2015!               

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms . . . J Bunting Machine
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  Tavor Color - FDE or Black?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tavor Color - FDE or Black?  (Read 7109 times)
richm2004

« on: January 18, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »

What color are you folks getting.  I picked black...but now I'm considering changing to FDE after looking at all the Shot Show 2013 videos.  Any positives or negative regarding FDE?

Regarding the FDE...is the IDF or any other TAVOR wielding force using FDE or is the FDE US only?
sudonix

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

i went with the FDE.  It was a tough choice as they both look very nice.  i already have a black rifle and thought it would be nice to have something different... as if the Tavor isn't different enough.
thearmenian

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »

I had trouble warming up to the FDE model untill I saw the videos as well. I prefer FDE for the SCAR over the black model, but prefer the black Tavor over FDE.

In reality, the FDE model would suit my needs better in my geographical location. It's hot and dry here, foliage is only green here in the spring, the rest of the year its tan/brown. Its also easier to handle a non-black firearm (after its been sitting on a table in the sun) at the range.

Mine was an easy decision, since the IDF model only comes in black.

There are pictures floating around showing forces using  OD green Tavors...that would be my choice if it was available.
Jeep297

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »

I thought the FDE version looked the best in person. It almost made me change my mind on getting the IDF version but I decided I'd rather have the closest I can get to what is standard issue over there. Hopefully I can add a FDE version down the road.
Dave_I

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »

Not sure this will help, however . . .

I went with the FDE for aesthetics and I do not have anything in that color.  I also researched it and generally speaking, FDE will blend in better than black since most things in nature are not completely black.  There are lots of forum posts on the Internet about how in the field non-black colors blend in better with most backgrounds, and in the dark if you use night vision black shows up remarkably well.  Also, if you need it for concealing purposes, camouflage works by breaking up the picture, so different colors would help break up the outline and make it harder to see.  Also, obviously different colors/patterns will blend better for different environments (e.g. desert, snow, foliage, rocky, marine environments, etc.).

Now, none of that actually applies to me, or likely most of us.  Unless, y'know, you lose your Tavor out in a field or something, or you're legit Spec Ops, it's probably going to the range, to your gun safe, maybe hunting, and I think Police Officers have to get them in black (saw that somewhere).  I had no job-specific criteria, so I just went with whatever I thought looked better or felt a stronger pull toward.  For me, the slight preference went toward the FDE flattop.  Once I'm shooting it, it could probably be hot pink with purple polka dots for all I'd ever notice it.  O.k., that might get some strange looks at the range, and Patriot Brown would have been cool, but you get the idea.  Any of the usual pics for color would have been fine.  My ACR is in black, and they did not offer the Tavor in hot pink (condolences to my daughter, she'd have loved that), so FDE it was.

-Cheers
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »

I basically got FDE because I don't have any puppies in that color.

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
z3ro

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »

Ordered FDE to match my Scar 17. I have family in AZ. FDE retains less heat than black. Especially in the desert.
FullAssault

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »

I had a hard time making my mind up but I went with black 18" bbl.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
-Samuel Adams
loong13

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

I went with FDE to match my FNX-45 in FDE, so it was easy pick for me.
AZG

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

Another FDE here. Got the 18" flattop. stupid me doesnt have any mags at all. so far behind the curve. Sad
jmftexas

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

I went with FDE........why?  Because I already have a black one on pre-order with Copes. 
Steinbrenner

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »

I went with the 18" FDE, it will look great next to my SIG556 SBR in OD Green.... Cool
Odin01

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »

I wanted the FDE but I am lefty and the LH model only comes in black.
wfcwfc
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »

I went with black, because picking FDE would be racist.
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »

chin scratching

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
new2bullpups

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »

In all honesty, I'd be happy with either... I just hope they are released before any restrictive legislation is enacted, be it Federal or State, that would prohibit ownership.

Could you imagine the agony of finally getting one, only to have it outlawed, shortly after taking possession of it?  Embarrassed
WraithsOfWrath

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

Went with black because all of my firearms are black. And after seeing Presspass's paint job, I doubt I will keep it black for long.

And chances are if I'm fighting an opposition that is using night vision, it probably won't matter much what color my rifle is.. Wink

But I would be happy if it was polka dot pink If there was a guarantee that I'd be getting it!
Dave_I

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »

Went with black because all of my firearms are black. And after seeing Presspass's paint job, I doubt I will keep it black for long.

And chances are if I'm fighting an opposition that is using night vision, it probably won't matter much what color my rifle is.. Wink

Sure, you say that now.  Tongue  But if I was really sort of grasping for reasons to choose one over the other, it's a difference.  I'm not saying it's all that important.

But I would be happy if it was polka dot pink If there was a guarantee that I'd be getting it!

If you have a daughter, just think how much she'd love it!  You could always paint it, but it would be so unique!

-Cheers
new2bullpups

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »

If you have a daughter, just think how much she'd love it!  You could always paint it, but it would be so unique!

-Cheers

In addition, no one would be able to accuse you of owning an "evil, black rifle"!
WraithsOfWrath

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »

Haha... When my daughter grows up she might be able to talk me into it lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length