Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 01:12:10 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Gun Safes
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gun Safes  (Read 3374 times)
scooterdude

« on: January 02, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »

Guys I know this is off topic but safety is everyone's concern. I'm considering purchaing a safe called the Sentry Home Defense center. Does anyone have info/advise/experience with this safe?

I know it is small but I don't owna lot of guns (yet)  Wink. But this is strictly for quick access for home defense.

Here is a review link... tell me whatch think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSxFI_dL37o
Snapperhead363
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »

Scooter dude, I'm on my 3rd safe. They keep getting bigger and bigger! Sentry makes a good cheap safe. I always buy safes by Liberty. The best advice I can give you is if you have the room buy a safe that you think there's no way you'll ever fill it! Trust me you will!

NRA Life Member   Bullpup Fanatic Glock Armorer  Owner of Homeland Guns.1-740-820-GUNS
Ronmar

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:43 PM »

I saw one at Wallmart:)

I do not know if I would classify this as a "safe" by my deffinition. I would term a safe as something that will take too long to access in any given unattended period in the time allowed a criminal untill the alarm and other goodies summons my neighbors.  It also needs to be something too well attached or to heavy to be removed to a more secure location in that same time period.  Like the guy in the video, I agree that longer term storage would more safely be accomplished elsewhere. 

I think I would more appropriatly classify this as a ready locker to allow fast quiet acces when needed, but keep secure from casual access by curious younguns...

Actually I was intrigued by the design.  The door appears to be heavier than most, perhaps 12GA sheet, and the door hardware appears pretty robust. It feels solid! Most safes th this size i have seen appear flimsy/locker like and not very secure(something I could pop in 10 seconds with a good prybar).  It was locked so I was unable to gauge how thick the body steel is, or exactly what type of lock/latch mechanism it employs so I could gauge how difficult it would be to spring with a prybar.  Unfortunatly the only detail I would be interested in, that the rather longwinded video showed was that it only has two attach points on the back corner. But that now gives me a place to look next time I am there to see how thick the body steel is.  No attach points on the bottom is just stupid IMO.  The interior components seem to dedicate this box to one rifle and pistol and some basic accessories.  Reconfiguring it to store more than this would require custom internal fixtures.  And it is not very big.  With the height of my optic equipped firearms, I could only fit one in diagonally as shown as all are in excess of 10" tall.  If it had more than a single axis attachpoint, I would like it more, but for what it is, I don't totally dislike it. Way faster than spinning a dial or fumbling with a key...

As always my .02...
scooterdude

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »

Thanks for the input. I agree that the safe is not ideal for longtem storage and my plans are for a more robust safe for longterm storage of other firearms and valuables. My interrest is purely for quick access for home defense purposes while keeping my endlessly curious son (Dennis the Menace lives!) away from my home defense guns.
Unfortunatly all this has come about due to an issue we recently had at my home. We live on a farm and my wife is a stay at home mother. A few weeks ago we had 3 shady characters drive up our driveway.
Our drive way is easliy 1/4 mile long so we are well off the main road. The 3 men tried to force the door of our home while my wife was in the house! As they drove up the driveway she quickly let our 3 large dogs in the house to protect her. Their imposing size and barking scared them away. The frightening part is that the men did not even attempt to aproach the house until they saw her looking out the window!
She called the police and they came but we are both getting CCWs now.
olouttt7

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:05:17 AM »

I am surfing the web in search of a new gun safe. It should be something cheap yet high quality, something like https://secretstorages.com/best-gun-safe-under-1000/ . I have two curious kids in the house, so the safe should be kid-proof. I think that kids should be taught to respect guns and handle them safely, and that they should be given opportunies to see/touch/handle/try the guns so they don't become tempting, forbidden fruit. But my kids are just 5 and 6 years old, I prefer to wait a few years prior to allowing them ever touch a gun.
Hivedr.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:50 PM »

I am surfing the web in search of a new gun safe. It should be something cheap yet high quality, something like https://secretstorages.com/best-gun-safe-under-1000/ . I have two curious kids in the house, so the safe should be kid-proof. I think that kids should be taught to respect guns and handle them safely, and that they should be given opportunies to see/touch/handle/try the guns so they don't become tempting, forbidden fruit. But my kids are just 5 and 6 years old, I prefer to wait a few years prior to allowing them ever touch a gun.

"Cheap but high quality"? In safes you get what you pay for, so cheap will be equal it's lack of build quality...cheap. Buy once cry once when it comes to safes.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:36 AM »

"Cheap but high quality"? In safes you get what you pay for, so cheap will be equal it's lack of build quality...cheap. Buy once cry once when it comes to safes.

Absolutely!  I saw this first hand when I examined the safes at the place where I bought mine; the competitions' safes were of uniformly lower quality, price point to price point, than the brand I bought. 

Also...if you decide to get a safe, don't get the digital lock, go old school and you'll have a lock that will last the life of the safe rather than something that will likely need replacing at the worst possible moment.

Kurt
EWTHeckman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:30 AM »

Here is why I will never buy a Sentry safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33T4GOtB-U
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »

again - like kfeltenberger states - stay away from electronic dials.  Sentry safes are ok to keep your kids out, but a good pry bar effort can probably defeat it.  Walmart had one on sale a few months back with a dial lock that I picked up - maybe 12 to 14 gauge steel - very disappointed - only had bolts on one side of door.  I had to re-enforce it with cement board and basically use it for my 22's and ammo.

I did pick up a Sentry during a Christmas sale - maybe 16 or 18 gauge steel -  but I wanted a very light one to mount in my truck when I travel to stop any attempt at a smash and grab - will hold 4 or 5 rifles
guns4activists
New Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 09:58:59 AM »

If you can spend the money, I would go with the Vaultek VT10i. It has multiple ways of opening it up and, since you mainly want one for home defense, it has the biometrics so in a pinch it will just pop open for you. If money is a concern, Sentry is decent but I have seen them popped open before. I like using the GunVault NanoVault as well but I, generally, use it for travel. It is compact though so that makes it easy to hide within your home. Here are some other options you can compare if those suggestions are not to your liking: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-gun-safes/
Bullpup777

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »

I've read that Cannon Gun Safes are excellent and priced right.  Does anyone have experience with them? 
dntam

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 02:32:23 AM »

Gun safes aren’t really that secure. If you want a real safe you want a TL rated safe. It won’t be cheap. Most “safes” are classified as residential security containers and can be opened with common power tools.

If you go cheap just get something to keep the kids out, hide or camouflage it, insure the contents, finally for fun a pepper spray booby trap will also help.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:39:27 AM by dntam » Logged
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »

Gun safes aren’t really that secure. If you want a real safe you want a TL rated safe. It won’t be cheap. Most “safes” are classified as residential security containers and can be opened with common power tools.

If you go cheap just get something to keep the kids out, hide or camouflage it, insure the contents, finally for fun a pepper spray booby trap will also help.

If a thief has time, nothing is secure.  For the vast majority of people, however, a quality gun safe is going to be plenty secure.

Kurt
pyroxide

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »

Any safe that you can buy can be opened within 10 minutes using a grinder on the side of the "safe."  I would much prefer concealed in-wall storage.
I suppose that if you could find a way to conceal a large safe behind a false wall or snugly surrounded by concrete basement walls (better make sure your sump pump has some sort of backup) that would be acceptable.

If you can't do any of that, all you're paying for is weight. A gun cabinet is all most gun owners would ever need. If somebody wants what's inside, it will likely require the same amount of time. You're better off spending that extra money you would spend on a safe on perimeter sensors and security cameras around your property.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »

Having a safe is more than just causing an burglar some inconvenience.  Depending on how your homeowner's policy is written, you could recognize a premium discount if you keep valuables in it.  And regarding the grinder...if they're going to come that well equipped for a basic smash and grab, then I doubt having something behind a wall will stop them...they'll probably have sledgehammers.

Kurt
Heathsrow
^

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »

I have and like the Secureit Agile Model 52! It is really good quality and able to be secured to the floor as well as moved if necessary fairly easily!

For my pistols, I have a few Gunboxes locates throughout the house in key locations!! Really nice as well (gunbox.com)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:55:23 PM by Heathsrow » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length