Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 01:05:12 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  State of the Current MDRXSE 5.56?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: State of the Current MDRXSE 5.56?  (Read 343 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »

Hey everyone,

So I was at a LGS the other day, and they had an MDRX on display, and I had the chance to handle and dry fire it. It felt real good in my hands, trigger was crisp enough.

So I have been contemplating buying an AUGA3M1 due to its proven reliability. I had earlier written off the MDR due to all the issues they were having, weak polymer. But from what I've heard, the MDRX has had its issues worked out. Is this really the case?

I'm specifically thinking about the MDRX SE 5.56. How reliable or durable is it? How's the field stripping? How does it compare side by side to an AUG or AR, when considering durability or reliability of functioning?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:52:22 AM by Frostburg » Logged
LazyEngineer

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:11:43 AM »

Just my opinion here of course, but at its heart, it's a .308 chassy firearm downgraded to fire 5.56.  Meaning you are carrying around more mass and bulk than you really have to.   The MDRX is a heavy gun.  To me, its appeal and differentiation shines brightest in the 6.5 CM variant.  Well... one that is ~1.5 MOA at least, which mine isn't doing right now, but that's another topic.

If I were to run a 5.56 Bullpup today and it were between an MDRx or an AUG....  tough to say.  The MDR manages recoil much better than the AUG does, and the forward eject feature is nice.  AUGs weight more than they should, and recoil a LOT more than they shold for a 5.56.  If you are going to go side-eject... eh, a wash; with a slight lean towards the AUG, if it were me; but don't think MDRx would be a bad call.

One nice thing about the MDRX is you can can convert it to a heavy caliber later, if you ever want to. Which is kind of spiffy.

Also, in my experience, the reliabily of the AUG is a little overstated. And the reliability of the modern MDRx is grossly understated.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:38:07 PM by LazyEngineer » Logged
davidm

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 11:34:56 AM »

Just my opinion here of coure, but at its heart, it's a .308 chassy firearm downgraded to fire 5.56.  Meaning you are carrying around more mass and bulk than you really have to.   The MDRX is a heavy gun.  

One nice thing about the MDRX is you can can convert it to a heavy caliber later, if you ever want to. Which is kind of spiffy.

I think this is it in a nutshell. The MRDX is a 308 gun than can be easily converted to run 5.56, 300BO, or 6.5 Creedmore.  

Weight wise, it's heavy when you compare it to a lightweight AR15 or a Kel-Tec RDB (which definitely is a lightweight), but it's not terrible. The Tavor is about the same weight, as is the Aug. Most bullpups are fairly heavy. However, they balance their weight rearward so you don't feel it as much as out front.

The conversion mechanics are well thought out. The gun field strips very easily. Desert Tech has some good videos on Youtube describing field stripping and conversions. Forgotten Weapons also has an MDR video.

Can't comment on reliability as I just got mine.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:39:16 AM by davidm » Logged
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:08:26 PM »

So far, I have ~300 suppressed rounds though my MDRx FE with zero issues.  The trigger feels better, though I was happy with the original MDR trigger, and the rifle just works.  Yes, it is a little heavier, but with that comes options that other bullpups lack, or if they can be changed to a different caliber, it's often .300BO and is a laborious process.  With my one MDRx and appropriate conversion kits I can do anything from home defense/shooting sports to hunting most game in America (bears excepted). 

Kurt
FrozenIceman

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »

Just ran my mdrx with a 5.56 FE conversion kit over the weekend and it worked great.  Estimate is 1.5 moa groups at 200 yards, probably better with a less bad shooter.

No rifle failures outside of user error not inserting a 10 round magazine all the way.

Platform is solid, caliber conversion takes about 5 minutes when you know what to do.  Only real special tool needed is a torque wrench for the barrel collar bolts.

The MDR splits into an upper and lower like an AR with two captive pins and a third fron pin can be left in and rotate the upper like an AR.

Bolt carrier group comes out nice and easily and doesn't take and special tools to remove the bolt head and firing pin.

Piston in the gas block comes out easy (armorer mallet and punch) recommended to push the piston forward after you remove the barrel.

Recoil wise it is nice and mellow, helped by the Compensator that comes standard.

Between the MDRx and aug I would I would give the edge to the MDRx for its multi cal, accuracy, rail space, much better trigger, ability to mount a bipod for range trips, free floating handguard, and ambidextrous everything.

Aug is about .3 pounds lighter than the MDRx SE version however.
WIndstorm

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 04:30:05 PM »

an MDRX doesn't have the charging handle stop working when dropped in some really goopy mud  Wink

ultimately, go with what will make you happiest, but if you live in a relatively free state (unlike where I am in MD... 20" barrels are the only reason I get any fun) it's worth noting the micron kit exists that can bring down the MDRX to even shorter than the shortest AUG variant, and still retains excellent performance.

Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »

Looks like the MDRX is meeting expectations in performance and reliability. The AUG, however, has decades of proven performance. I think for me, this comes down to confidence. Either purchase is a solid financial and long term investment (esp. in today's market), so I am going to think about all those inane concerns, at such a price tag. I do like the fact that the AUG is is so proven. This will be a rifle that I will probably have for the duration of my life, so that's something I want to think about. The MDR isn't proven yet. But I'm getting the feeling that it's in the same ballpark, quality and construction-wise. So far, I havn't heard too much to be wary, atleast with the newest generation rifles. But my interest is only starting to re-spark, in terms of the MDR.
FrozenIceman

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:13:49 PM »

If it helps, the MDRx (as well as MDR) now has a lifetime transferable warranty (no registration required) if there are ever any problems or failures.  I do not know the Aug warranty policy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:18:02 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 07:06:09 PM »

I've had both the AUG and MDRx and either one would be a fine addition.  My concern with the AUG is Steyr's track record of production, parts availability, responsiveness to the US market, and the biggie, they're a foreign company that is ultimately governed by the social dynamics of their home country.  Granted, DT is a small company and you can level the production and parts availability issues at them as well, but they are responsive to the US market and barring legislation that would force them to cease production, they're in a state that is relatively gun friendly, the principals are shooters and want to see their product do well on the domestic market.  Steyr USA may want the same, but I'm not so sure of their overlords in Austria.

Kurt
MgoBlue

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »

I bought an A3 M1 with the chrome lined bbl (AUG Mags) from Pete and have added parts from Corvus Defensio, Manticore Arms, GHW, Ratworx to get it to be the AUG that I wanted. The biggest shortfall imo is, its the worst suppressor host I own but I knew it going in. More than once I've contemplated putting the regular gas plug back in and taking the can off, but its still on. I have a 60gr hunting load that shoots MOA all day (and sometimes better) from the bench, it's darn near a perfect coyote hunting rifle, I'll own it until my last breath.

Very recently I picked up an FDE .223 Wylde FE MDRX (which I have NOT had the opportunity to shoot yet). I read the weight comment all the time and yes they're both chunky, but with slings, carrying them is a non-issue, not to mention the rearward weight is very easy to manage recoil (on the AUG and I surmise the same will be true for the MDRX). The trigger of the MDRX kicks the s*** out the AUG even with the updated sear. I'm confident that it will run w/o issue BUT the bbl is f***ing THIN and with a can on the end I'll be curious how it does once it heats up.

So, the original question, which one, well the AUG is a proven battle rifle and its an AUG, what more is there to say other than it will ONLY ever be a .223 Wylde. If you remotely think you'd kick yourself for never getting one, you have your answer. On the other hand, if the ability to change calibers from within one platform and a MUCH better trigger, you only have one choice; MDRX. I went with the .223 Wylde first as that's the ammo I'm most flush with but I will eventually add another caliber for deer hunting. I'm REALLY hoping they release a 6 ARC but if that won't happen, I'd probably go 6.5 Creedmore with an ES Tactical bbl.

Best answer; BOTH😃👍.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 11:55:45 PM »

Honestly, it's kind of neck and neck in terms of my decision. I think my only option is to rent both at the range to try. Spend a day, with both of them. See how they feel and field strip. I've actually stripped down an AUG before, so I know how smooth that is. Its parts kind of glide over one another.  Hmm. It's also a fairly clean shooter, iirc.

How much soot do you find inside an MDRX after a day at the range?
WIndstorm

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 01:02:32 AM »

Honestly, it's kind of neck and neck in terms of my decision. I think my only option is to rent both at the range to try. Spend a day, with both of them. See how they feel and field strip. I've actually stripped down an AUG before, so I know how smooth that is. Its parts kind of glide over one another.  Hmm. It's also a fairly clean shooter, iirc.

Can’t speak for the SE, but properly gassed my .308 20” runs very clean. If I wasn’t a stickler about it I probably wouldn’t even have to tumble my brass. I’d imagine that should remain the same with a longer barreled SE correctly gassed.

While I was making a cheeky reference to the inrange mud tests before, after thinking about my experiences with both platforms, two things that do jump out at me: the Aug is generally not very forgiving if you get anything where it shouldn’t be, with even seemingly inconsequential dust causing occasional FTFs or charging handle issues, while the MDRX on the same range and same day had no such issues. The second is something that none of us hopes to ever have happen, but in terms of catastrophic malfunction, the MDRX is actually likely to survive a major overpressure event thanks to some strategically placed blow-out plugs and chamber vent, while what I have seen of Augs suffering the same is a sad tale of cracked polymer and totaled gun.

Magazine availability is another but very minimal consideration, last I checked they don’t make 60rd drum or coffin mags for the AUG  Grin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:33:10 AM by WIndstorm » Logged
LazyEngineer

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:58 AM »

If it helps, the MDRx (as well as MDR) now has a lifetime transferable warranty (no registration required) if there are ever any problems or failures.  I do not know the Aug warranty policy.

Welll.... My MDRx is new, and shooting about 3-4 MOA.  So far, they are kinda crawfishing on the warranty thing; but we're still working through it, so possible they may help come through one way or another. 

The AUG warranty technically isn't as good on paper, but when I asked them about accuracy issues, the sent me a shipping label and a test target back after some of their tweaking. 

So far: MDRx has a better paper warranty, but in practice...we're still working through it.  A little to early to judge; so we'll just put that at :Stand By For Updates for now.

Steyr has a spotty warranty on paper, but stands behind it when actually called about issues. 

As to accuracy.   Well.. I see lots of people claim decent accuracy.  Though few groups are posted supporting that.   so far, this is pretty typical of my MDRx (so far). 

Like I said, we're still working through it, so I don't think we're done.  But I will say this, if we CAN't fix this; I'm probably going to sell this gun off.

kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 08:26:52 AM »

Honestly, it's kind of neck and neck in terms of my decision. I think my only option is to rent both at the range to try. Spend a day, with both of them. See how they feel and field strip. I've actually stripped down an AUG before, so I know how smooth that is. Its parts kind of glide over one another.  Hmm. It's also a fairly clean shooter, iirc.

So far, mine has been exceptionally clean, even shooting suppressed.  The next time I go to the range, I'll let you know and maybe you can day trip up to the York area and give my MDRx a test.

Kurt
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »

So far, mine has been exceptionally clean, even shooting suppressed.  The next time I go to the range, I'll let you know and maybe you can day trip up to the York area and give my MDRx a test.

I would certainly be very happy to do so. Thanks!
FrozenIceman

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:17 AM »

Ya, Lazy Engineer your MDRx grouping performance is abnormally bad.  I don't think I have even heard anyone claim their performance (even without verification) above 2.5 moa before yours.  But there are now plenty of profesional reviews, especially on youtube, with their groupings.

What you do have is the official DT blog post by Coldbore claiming 1 to 2 moa.  You can try leveraging that post on their website to show abnormal performance.

But ya, as far as groupings go, not many have lead sleds for good moa performance testing.  That applies to most shooters I think.  I saw a new review by the Who_Tee_Who youtube personality do a test with a lead sled last week that was good (he also tried out the mantis in a second video).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:03:44 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
LazyEngineer

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »

Ya, Lazy Engineer your MDRx grouping performance is abnormally bad.  I don't think I have even heard anyone claim their performance (even without verification) above 2.5 moa before yours.  But there are now plenty of proffesional reviews, especially on youtube, with their groupings.

What you do have is the official DT blog post by Coldbore claiming 1 to 2 moa.  You can try leveraging that post on their website to show abnormal performance.

But ya, as far as groupings go, not many have lead sleds for good moa performance testing.  That applies to most shooters I think.  I saw a new review by the Who_Tee_Who youtube personality do a test with a lead sled last week that was good (he also tried out the mantis in a second video).

Hey thanks for the note.  It sounds like they are looking to send me a label and an RMA to take a look at it.  Not confirmed, but could be worse.   I can only imagine what it must belike in the gun industry right now. Their voice-mail box is full. And apparently they have a recall on their SRS firing pins right now, which no doubt is always fun.
FrozenIceman

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »

That is good to hear!  Once you get to DT's CS they are pretty good, especially when you get a direct email rather than the CS dump box.

I didn't have any issues with my rifle performance wise, but was missing the support tool and had some scuffed up barrel bolts,and thr complaint barrel tore up the rifle bag a bit (compliant barrels were shipped seperate from the receiver when I bought mine).  They sent me a whole new MDRx bag, bolts,and rifle support kit in a week for free.

They will get you sorted.
davidm

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:35 PM »

Looks like the MDRX is meeting expectations in performance and reliability. The AUG, however, has decades of proven performance. I think for me, this comes down to confidence. Either purchase is a solid financial and long term investment (esp. in today's market), so I am going to think about all those inane concerns, at such a price tag. I do like the fact that the AUG is is so proven. This will be a rifle that I will probably have for the duration of my life, so that's something I want to think about. The MDR isn't proven yet. But I'm getting the feeling that it's in the same ballpark, quality and construction-wise. So far, I havn't heard too much to be wary, atleast with the newest generation rifles. But my interest is only starting to re-spark, in terms of the MDR.
Along that line of thinking, another bullpup to consider is the IWI X95.  It's military fielded like the Aug and pretty bulletproof. It's a more modern design than the Aug with better ergonomics in controls and things like QD attachment points, etc.

Like the MDR, it also has caliber conversions. In the X95 it's 9mm and 300BO along with the 5.56. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:54:42 PM by davidm » Logged
MgoBlue

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:40 PM »

Ya, Lazy Engineer your MDRx grouping performance is abnormally bad.  I don't think I have even heard anyone claim their performance (even without verification) above 2.5 moa before yours.  But there are now plenty of proffesional reviews, especially on youtube, with their groupings.

Hey thanks for the note.  It sounds like they are looking to send me a label and an RMA to take a look at it.  Not confirmed, but could be worse.   I can only imagine what it must belike in the gun industry right now. Their voice-mail box is full. And apparently they have a recall on their SRS firing pins right now, which no doubt is always fun.

I hope you get it sorted out satisfactorily because I wouldnt be pleased with those groups either. Also I don't think Jeff (ColdBoreMiracle) would find your results acceptable.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length