Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 02:13:53 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  BLK-LBL bipod handguard
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: BLK-LBL bipod handguard  (Read 1101 times)
WIndstorm

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »

i know i commented on the weight previously but after some more reflection i do think it's heavy in the wrong places. they could've spent some more time thinking it over. there's still a good bit of metal on it for no good reason. take a page out of daniel defense's book when it comes to handguard designs. and as for the bipod, they should've made it all aluminum instead of carbon fiber. i'd gladly have a heavier bipod as opposed to a heavier handguard as it stands now. a few minutes in MS paint and i've come up with a better version. this will probably be lighter, even with aluminum legs.

as it stands i'd rather have the normal handguard and a wilcox steady grip bipod. that's a solid aluminum grip pod made for a SOCOM contract. only 6 oz and it can take something like 5000 lbs of weight, it's freakin indestructible.

As someone with an engineering background, I can already see big problems with that re design. While some of the aluminum might not look functional, remember that because the whole thing is free-floated, it needs some of that material to maintain rigidity. If it didnít have that material, you could get all sorts of unpleasant effects like the barrel contacting the interior of the ring during firing from combined bipod flex and barrel harmonics. You would also experience zero shift of attached objects under load. Also worth noting that because of the position of the bipod legs, there is no material assisting with that rigidity in the lower sides of the handguard.

Everything is a spring in some way, shape or form, itís just a question of making it not spring when you donít want it to.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 03:23:02 PM »

if you didn't love the mdr at its crappiest, you don't deserve the mdrx at its coolest Tongue

my hard earned money disagrees.... Cool
WIndstorm

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »

if you didn't love the mdr at its crappiest, you don't deserve the mdrx at its coolest Tongue

I think we can try and be welcoming. The more people fall in love with it, the more development and aftermarket support it gets which is great for all of us!

Personally Iíd love to see a barrel manufacturer like X-caliber start doing Pre-fits like they do for ARs and bolt actions, and for DT to sell extra bolts for machining to work with odd calibers that donít use the .223 or .308 case head dimensions.

@dbpfu what barrel and optic are on yours in the pics? Looks nice.
theaccountemail

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »

As someone with an engineering background, I can already see big problems with that re design. While some of the aluminum might not look functional, remember that because the whole thing is free-floated, it needs some of that material to maintain rigidity. If it didnít have that material, you could get all sorts of unpleasant effects like the barrel contacting the interior of the ring during firing from combined bipod flex and barrel harmonics. You would also experience zero shift of attached objects under load. Also worth noting that because of the position of the bipod legs, there is no material assisting with that rigidity in the lower sides of the handguard.

Everything is a spring in some way, shape or form, itís just a question of making it not spring when you donít want it to.
there's still metal on the bottom of the handguard, it's not all bipod. the only area i think it would be worth saving metal is the space between the screws under the gas block, so here's a picture of that area filled in. i also made the gas block hole just a smidge shorter so there's more metal above those screws too. that should be plenty.
as for the top rail, there isn't much metal connecting that area to begin with, and opening it up more for gas adjustments would be preferable. the lucky irishman handguard is similarly open in that area and nobody has any complaints.

* blk lbl bipod mdr extended.png (71.4 KB, 414x234 - viewed 29 times.)

* blk lbl bipod mdr.png (113.92 KB, 787x316 - viewed 35 times.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:01:55 PM by theaccountemail » Logged
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 05:46:35 PM »

I think we can try and be welcoming.

over your head on this one...over maybe over mine if you were directing at 'disgruntled bpfcom'...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:49:37 PM by HBeretta » Logged
WIndstorm

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 04:24:27 PM »

was a reply to the idea of being exclusionist simply because some people were skeptical of a rifle with a rock initial launch. I personally think the skepticism was entirely justified, but at least the end of that period has left us with one hell of a rifle instead of a "forgotten weapons" entry 20 years from now with only a handful of examples.

it seems like the interest in the MDR/X has outpaced DT's capacity to produce it, which can only be a good thing for the company, and I know I'm working on some aftermarket stuff along with a few other folks who frequent the board.

back on the subject of the thread, just got an email that mine is in shipment, can't wait!
MgoBlue

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »

was a reply to the idea of being exclusionist simply because some people were skeptical of a rifle with a rock initial launch. I personally think the skepticism was entirely justified, but at least the end of that period has left us with one hell of a rifle instead of a "forgotten weapons" entry 20 years from now with only a handful of examples.

it seems like the interest in the MDR/X has outpaced DT's capacity to produce it, which can only be a good thing for the company, and I know I'm working on some aftermarket stuff along with a few other folks who frequent the board.

back on the subject of the thread, just got an email that mine is in shipment, can't wait!

Looking foward to what you're designing for us! Would you mind saying when you ordered? A co-worker of mine ordered his from the factory about 15 weeks ago and hasn't heard anything yet.
WIndstorm

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 01:10:49 AM »

The mantis handguard I ordered day of release, but because I ordered FDE it had some lead time. The MDRX itself was sometime early last year, since the 20Ē barrel release made it actually legal in MD (bulls*** 29Ē OAL restrictions, even for tax stamped SBRs..... Angry )

Had it for a little while, and been working on some trigger and grip ideas, plus monopod option since precision work is my personal favorite form of sport shooting.

Need to get a faster twist rate .308 barrel though, 1:10 just isnít quite enough to stabilize some of the subsonic loads I want to tinker with
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 11:03:45 AM »

Cross-posting (sort of) from the other thread: Bench shooting with the BLK LBL was comfortable, next step in a couple of weeks is to see if it's still fun to run-'n-gun with it at practical competition.  I might make it a point to wear/not wear gloves to see how well it deals with heat and the gas block rail section
MgoBlue

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »

The mantis handguard I ordered day of release, but because I ordered FDE it had some lead time. The MDRX itself was sometime early last year, since the 20Ē barrel release made it actually legal in MD (bulls*** 29Ē OAL restrictions, even for tax stamped SBRs..... Angry )

Had it for a little while, and been working on some trigger and grip ideas, plus monopod option since precision work is my personal favorite form of sport shooting.

Need to get a faster twist rate .308 barrel though, 1:10 just isnít quite enough to stabilize some of the subsonic loads I want to tinker with

OK thanks. Looking foward to the results of your tinkering👍.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length