Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 02:31:24 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Magazine Reports - Positive And Negative
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Magazine Reports - Positive And Negative  (Read 389 times)
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: March 14, 2021, 11:42:04 AM »

Since LazyEngineer was asking about mags in a recent thread and there have been recurring questions and comments about which mags work well, work passably, and have issues with the MDR/MDRx, I thought it would be a good idea to start a separate thread just for magazine discussion and pin it to the top of the topic list for easy reference.

If you have experience with a magazine and want to contribute, I'd suggest including the following information:

1.  MDR or MDRx
2.  Forward Eject or Side Eject
3.  Magazine Brand
4.  Magazine Capacity
5.  Production code (if any)
6.  Reliable/Unreliable
7.  Comments

From this we can build a knowledgebase that should be helpful to both new and old owners.

Kurt
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 11:05:55 AM »

From left to right:

MSAR XM-30, Lancer L5-AWM 30 rnd, Magpul MOE Gen 2

1.  MDRx
2.  Forward Eject
3.  Magazine Brand - MSAR XM-30 (out of production)
4.  Magazine Capacity:  30 rounds
5.  Production code (if any):  04/13
6.  Reliable/Unreliable:  Reliable
7.  Comments:  Magazine is easily inserted into the mag well, drops free when release is pushed (any of the three).  Other than the body being slightly larger than the other two, the ribs provide a very positive grip surface that makes up for the extra size.  Of the three, it is feels the most secure in the hand (subjective opinion) and has the best blend of usable and grippable texturing.  No issues in either MDRx or several ARs.

1.  MDRx
2.  Forward Eject
3.  Magazine Brand:  Lancer L5 AWF (currently in production)
5.  Production code (if any):  10/19
7.  Comments:  Magazine is easily inserted into the mag well, drops free when release is pushed (any of the three).  This magazine is between the MSAR and Magpul options in terms of body size, it's slightly larger than the PMag (by feel), and demonstrably smaller than the MSAR XM-30.  However, subjectively, it has the best grip surface if only the sides are being gripped.  If you grip it and use the front and rear spines, it could use more texturing (subjective opinion) as the XM-30 is easily the best textured of the three and in cold or wet conditions would provide a superior gripping surface.

1.  MDRx
2.  Forward Eject
3.  Magazine Brand:  Magpul MOE Pmag Gen2
5.  Production code (if any):  8/18 (magazine shipped with MDRx in early 2020)
7.  Comments:  Magazine is easily inserted into the mag well, drops free when release is pushed (any of the three).  Magazine is the slimmest (subjective observation) and feels the slimmest in the hand.  While it does have a rough texture (more like a 1/35th scale tank model with molded on non-skid), and vestigial ribbing, this was (again, subjective opinion) the slickest of the three magazines and lacked the texturing that the other two mags offered and in cold or wet conditions would more difficult to grip/manipulate should an issue arise.  That said, when comparing three items there always has to be a good, better, and best, and while this would fall into the "good" category, it is still a superior product and offers a better grip purchase than the prior USGI aluminum and supposedly "high end" HK steel magazines.

Conclusion:

All three magazines are good to go and each has their plusses and minuses.  The MSAR is my favored for two reasons, both subjective:  First, it fits my hand better when I'm drawing it from its pouch and second, it makes the MDRx look just a bit more futuristic!  The downsides of the MSAR mag is that it is physically larger than than the others and may reduce mag pouch capacity due to this.

The Lancer L5 is in the sweet spot between the two; decent texturing for a positive grip purchase, but still slim enough to fit in USGI dimensioned pouches.  It is, however, more expensive.  For two L5s you could almost get three MOE Pmags.

Finally, the PMag.  It works.  I'm not a fan of the abbreviated texturing on it,. but if that became a life and death issue than it's likely that my decision-making process has failed horribly and whether I can grip it or not is likely not a major concern at the moment...probably plugging the new holes in my body would have higher priority!  The biggest benefit of the MOE Pmag (subjective opinion) is that it is inexpensive and can compete directly with USGI and other aluminum magazines.  As said before, you can purchase 3 for a bit more (give or take) than 2 Lancer L5s. 

You won't go wrong with any of these three.

Kurt
FrozenIceman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:20:06 PM »

1.  MDRx
2.  Forward Eject, 7.62, 20" barrel
3.  Magazine Brand - Pmag Gen 3
4.  Magazine Capacity:  10 rounds
5.  Production code (if any):  TBD
6.  Reliable/Unreliable:  Reliable
7.  Comments:  Magazine is easily inserted into the mag well, drops free when release is pushed.  Works well, however due to its small size/weight it can be slid in partly and be retained by the mag catch, not in the proper detent.  The result is failure to chamber first round with bolt release.  Corrective action is pushing the mag in farther to feed and rechamber.

1.  MDRx
2.  Forward Eject, .223, 20" barrel
3.  Magazine Brand - Pmag Gen 3
4.  Magazine Capacity:  10 rounds
5.  Production code (if any):  TBD
6.  Reliable/Unreliable:  Reliable
7.  Comments:  Magazine is easily inserted into the mag well, drops free when release is pushed.  Works well, however due to its small size/weight it can be slid in partly and be retained by the mag catch, not in the proper detent.  The result is failure to chamber first round with bolt release.  Corrective action is pushing the mag in farther to feed and rechamber.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:23:52 PM by FrozenIceman » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length