Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 01:51:10 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Getting Started...
| |-+  Bullpup Design, Definition, History
| | |-+  308W Bullpup?
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: 308W / 7.62x51
Tavor   -1 (33.3%)
MDR-X   -1 (33.3%)
other   -1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Author Topic: 308W Bullpup?  (Read 747 times)
Sid Post

« on: February 20, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »

If this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it point me in the right direction!   Wink

I have a DPMS G2 but, I'm finding it is a bit bulky and clumsy to carry around my farm when doing chores.  This has me thinking about a bullpup.

What are the practical differences between the Tavor and DT MDR-X?  I know DT has a bad reputation among many but, there is an MDR-X within driving distance of me and is at MSRP so, no bad price gouging either.  To be honest I haven't found any TAVORs within driving distance.  I am a little predisposed to go with a Tavor for better aftermarket support and the X95 has a good track record.

What else may I be overlooking like moving muzzle blast closer to my ear or similar things?  A 16" AR-10 is pretty fierce but, it is an extra few inches forward from a bullpup.  Any mag issue to be aware of?  What else am I possibly overlooking in my 308W bullpup search?

TIA,
Sid
Sputnik90

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »

You might take a look at the Kel-Tec RFB and K&M Armsí M17S308 (http://kmarms.com/M17S308.html).  Both are excellent, 8-lb rifles. 
I donít actually own any 308 bullpups, but my .223 M-17 is tough, reliable, and shoots like a dream; I recommend you take a serious look at K&M.

Mr.Tucker

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »

I'd go with the T7, for all the reasons you mentioned above. Good industry support, and it's IWI. A .308 battle rifle as a bullpup just sounds awesome.

Given the current political climate and looming restrictions on Semi-Autos....have you considered getting a practical bolt gun in .308, or a scout rifle? They're very handy and functional as well, and not nearly as expensive to buy and feed.
Sid Post

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:30:41 AM »

Who is behind K&M Arms?  I used to live in Tucson and wonder if the people behind this company are some I had issues with in the past or if they are some that treated me well.  Thanks!
Sid Post

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »

Given the current political climate and looming restrictions on Semi-Autos....have you considered getting a practical bolt gun in .308, or a scout rifle? They're very handy and functional as well, and not nearly as expensive to buy and feed.

I have shoulder issues that affect cycling a bolt action rifle quickly.  I need rapid fire for feral hogs and dogs chasing nursing cows and killing chickens.

Regarding politics, I don't think Biden can get a gun confiscation program through Congress and the Supreme Court.  I also don't think he can get a $200 NFA style tax on firearms and magazines as it will disenfranchise people of modest means along with a lot of people in his political base which would push back against such a move to put firearms only in the hands of the rich like machine guns, subguns, short barrel rifle and shotguns, etc. today.
Desert Kraut

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »

Who is behind K&M Arms?  I used to live in Tucson and wonder if the people behind this company are some I had issues with in the past or if they are some that treated me well.  Thanks!
Ken McAlister out of Chandler, AZ did the design on the M17S. It is his version of the old Bushmaster version. I have the 5.56 version of the the bullpup and have had no issues.

Go to K&M site on this forum and find out about the .308 version. I don't know who or what issues you have with other gun manufacturers. Do your research and decide.
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »

Fair enough, and I agree, the usual in roads for gun control legislation have allot of obstacles getting through Congress...but, banning the importation of firearms is within his control through foreign policy changes and executive orders, which would only jack up the prices on items like the T7 even more. Unless I have it wrong here (totally possible), Iím pretty sure the T7 is imported, then final assembly occurs in the States.

As for the bolt guns, Iím sorry to hear about your condition. I really enjoy the Gunsite, but a .308 bullpup would be a monster, and sounds perfect for Hog control. Iíd get a T7 before you canít.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:00:13 PM by Mr.Tucker » Logged
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »

As far as blast issues, Iíve owned a Surefire Warden for some time and it works great. It comes in two versions, one is direct thread, the other can attach/detach quickly on a Surefire SOCOM series muzzle device. Very handy device that doesnít require a tax stamp to own, and solves exactly what you described as an issue
odinforever2000

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 05:57:41 PM »

Eh.. I have 2 of the 4 308 Bullpups (RFB and MDR) on the Market.. Both have their quirks..

Without having shot the T7,

They all do about the same in accuracy (around 1.5moa with the right match ammo)
All kinda depends on what else you want in your rifle:

If you must have a rifle that takes SR25/AR10 Mags..That will cut the 4 down to 3..
Of the 3..
The MDR is the most flexible in caliber. But you'll pay for it.
The T7 weights a bit more than a 308 MDR(X)..But it has the same niceties (Ar style mag release) and Nicer upgrade triggers (I don't like the default MDRX trigger over my RFB trigger)..
The  K&M 308 has not ambi features if you need to go to the wrong side Tongue But it starts off with a match trigger and is the lightest of all of them.

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length