Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 02:08:56 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Holosun battery lifetime question
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Holosun battery lifetime question  (Read 217 times)
Andygold

« on: November 19, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »

I just picked up a Holosun green dot sight.  The info on it says that it has a 50,000 hour battery life expectancy.  I'm curious as to how they figure that.  Is it 50K of standby (optic switched to the "ON" position, but LED is off).  Or, is it 50K hours with the LED lit up?  If it's the first option, then that means I can leave it on, sitting in standby, and it should be good for almost 6 years.

If it's the latter option, counting only LED ON-TIME,  then for a typical 8 hour work day with the optic getting jostled around in a car...5 days a week, and then shut completely off for non-work hours (8 hours a day x 5 days a week x 52weeks = 2,080 hours a year.  50,000 hours / 2,080 hours = 24 years).  Now I fully realize that the battery is not going to last 24 years (I'd probably still change it yearly), but getting back to the original question...how is that 50K hours figured? Smiley
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:12:14 PM »

I have had a Holosun 503c on an AR-15 on auto-dim that's been in and out of my safe since 2012. I have not changed the battery and it still works like day 1.
Andygold

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:52:56 PM »

I have had a Holosun 503c on an AR-15 on auto-dim that's been in and out of my safe since 2012. I have not changed the battery and it still works like day 1.

Doesn't the C model have a solar cell that bypasses the use of the battery?  Although I guess while it's in the safe, it's solely running on battery power.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »

Doesn't the C model have a solar cell that bypasses the use of the battery?  Although I guess while it's in the safe, it's solely running on battery power.

Yes and yes. The solar does power it (though I don't know what percentage is powered by the solar cell) but the fact that it's been in pitch black for a vast majority of that time is revealing.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »

It's a calculation based on energy draw vs. energy capacity.  I think they use a mid/low setting for the energy draw and from there it's just a case of running the equation.  I have quite a few Holosun green dot optics and all of them have the solar panel.  I think it's probably the best option possible for someone who doesn't have a government or corporation backing them (and likewise won't be using it in an "over the beach" scenario).

Like Whiskey9Lima, I've had mine for several years and never replaced the batteries.  Now that I think about it, it might be a good Christmas gift for all my powered optics...new batteries...just in case the Grinch comes around.

Kurt
WhamBam

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 12:43:55 PM »

Jesus. That's lasted longer than my watch battery--Citizen Ecodrive. Props to Holosun.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length