Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:52:10 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: 2015 SHOT Show                                              20-23 January, 2015                               Las Vegas, NV                              The firearms industry convention and show...                              ...will be covered by BullpupForum.com!                              Check back here for all the Bullpup action from SHOT Show 2015!               

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
Brownells . . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . . . . . . . FFL123.com . . . carhartt . . . K & M Arms
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor
| | |-+  Scar 16 vs IWI Tavor?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Scar 16 vs IWI Tavor?  (Read 12107 times)
new2bullpups

« on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »

Hello all,

New to the forum and new to bullpups, in general.

Looking for your advice: I have a SCAR 16 and I have been thinking about selling it to get a IWI Tavor, instead.

Any thoughts on whether I should do it?

It will be used only for range time, and I have always loved the look of the bullpup design.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and comments!
new2bullpups
richm2004

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

I suggest that you keep the SCAR and buy the Tavor.  You can always make up for the money spent...opportunities to purchase....those might soon become non-existant.
new2bullpups

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »

Darn you and your sound reasoning, richm2004!  Grin

Thank you for the input, sir.
blaster1

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »

I am with RichM on this one.  Keep the SCAR, because it is a great rifle and not likely to depreciate much if any given the recent FN price increase.  Buy the IWI Tavor just because you can. Smiley
johnny9
Bullpup Fanatic

jack of all trades,master of none!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »

both great things to play with at the range,and help defend our country if the situation arose ...tavor and the scar "tavor #1 for me"would go well under a long coat to help guard our schools at every entrance and the kids couldnt see it under the gaurds coat..they would no its there,and love and respect the man standing guard like a friend they grew up with..it should also have a finger print grip id so only the man assigned that weapon can fire it.
happy happy happy...si en tistic stuff right there.. Cool

get r done
Tillikum

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:00:54 AM »

Both, unquestionably. Both excellent tools that allow good people to stave off evil.

And they are fun to shoot!
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »

Both evil things that make good people do bad things.

Obvious troll is obvious.

When it comes to the SCAR versus the Tavor, they're both on the "future" side of firearms so its a solid comparison.

I have to confess I wanted a SCAR before I wanted a Tavor, but the SCAR rifles in Canada are prohibited on account of FN not sharing trade secrets with the mounties.

The Tavor's advantage is in its bullpup design, while the SCAR can accommodate a few more diverse setups.

The big difference for me, is the non-reciprocating charging handle on the Tavor. I don't like the idea of something hammering back and forth on my rifle when I shoot from unconventional positions, even if I can choose what part of the rifle its on.
Dave_I

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »

I think a bird (and one that is in danger of becoming extinct in our parts) may be worth two that have not landed yet in this case.  I'd keep the SCAR and save up for the Tavor if you can swing both, or at least make sure the Tavor is a sure thing before even thinking of selling it.  I'm holding on tight to my ACR; I'd never sell it anyway, however if I was thinking about it for the Tavor I'd be rethinking that right about now.

If you CAN swing it for both, I think they can fit different needs.  The Tavor is obviously going to be great for close-quarters stuff and is more compact, the SCAR is folding and lightweight and a pretty cool rifle that has a pretty proven track record.  It is an awesome gun in its own right.  Unless you can only afford one and you know the Tavor will better fit your needs, or you just do not like the SCAR, then I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a good reason to sell the SCAR to be honest.  If one DOES fit your needs significantly better than the other, and both end up being at your disposal, then I would let that guide your decision.  With Dianne Feinstein going nuts I'd think things through before dumping anything at the moment.

-Cheers
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »

Dave, how do you like your ACR?

I have an opportunity to trade my Tikka T3 Tactical in .223 plus a Vortex Viper PST for an ACR enhanced.

I know I like my Tikka, but I've only briefly handled the ACR

Dave_I

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »

I have an opportunity to trade my Tikka T3 Tactical in .223 plus a Vortex Viper PST for an ACR enhanced.

Personally, I love it.  It is not as light as the SCAR (which I've only handled, not shot) or the AR, however it is sturdy, accurate, a lot of fun to shoot, it would be nice if the conversions were more prevalent however they are being made aftermarket, and overall it is a really, really nice gun.  It is a great design that seems to have the bugs worked out and aftermarket stuff seems to FINALLY be coming out.  After playing around with it, it can do pretty much everything I wanted the Tavor for.  However, I'm still getting the Tavor if at all possible.  Wink  But it fits me.  I only have the Basic, however I put some Magpul rail pieces on it pretty much just in case and actually prefer the Basic rail to the Enhanced and with the Magpul poly rail pieces it is plenty versatile enough for me (I thought it was a little lighter that way too, however don't quote me on that).  I'd like to get a folding stock, but I really do not miss it, it would just make it slightly smaller to carry/store.  Plus, I like things more compact (part of the appeal of the Tavor).  It also looks pretty sexy, not that it is important but I like the looks and non-reciprocating handle over the SCAR.  Personal preference, they're both pretty awesome.

I can't really comment on the Tikka T3 Tactical over the ACR.  Shooting irons, the ACR fired well and I got it pretty accurate.  I just got my GRSC 1-6x mounted and hope to get it sighted in this weekend (weather/time/family permitting), so I can give you an update after that.  I also want to put a nice two-stage trigger in it, however stock has been totally fine with me so far, no complaints just wondering how much better a Geiselle or the like would be.  But so far it's been great.  I really like it.  It is a nice and vastly underrated rifle.

-Cheers
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:48:29 AM by Dave_I » Logged
z3ro

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »

Keep the Scar. I have a Scar 17s and wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. A few days ago on gun broker a Scar 17s sold for $4000. Crazy. Also while there is uncertainty if we will even get out hands on a Tavor because of today's issues. I'm hoping this group buy process will be sped up.
new2bullpups

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »

Many thanks for the responses, all.

Great community you all have here, and I'm glad to be a part of it!

With all the sage advice provided, I will be keeping my SCAR.  Having had a Tantal and SGL 31-84, the reciprocating bolt goes largely unnoticed by me, personally.  I love the low recoil impulse of the SCAR, but I do feel badly for those seated at benches to my left and right when at the range with the SCAR... the PWS muzzlebrake is quite loud.

As previously stated, I love the idea of the bullpup design, and I rejoiced when I learned that the Tavor SAR would be available in the US.

Quick question for those fortunate enough to already own a Tavor: I can't help but wonder if a dedicated trigger guard should have been included in the design of the Tavor.  I know that the Tavor TAR-21 has been placed into actual service, and I understand that it has reportedly withstood such real-combat rigors admirably.  My question is, has anyone had any problems with the "open trigger guard" design? I make it a habit never to keep my finger on the trigger, unless prepared to fire, but is it possible that a foreign object (or another digit on the shooting hand) could get wedged in the grip and cause a ND?

Many thanks!
new2bullpups
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:27:40 AM by new2bullpups » Logged
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

Quick question for those fortunate enough to already own a Tavor: I can't help but wonder if a dedicated trigger guard should have been included in the design of the Tavor.  I know that the Tavor TAR-21 has been placed into actual service, and I understand that it has reportedly withstood such real-combat rigors admirably.  My question is, has anyone had any problems with the "open trigger guard" design? I make it a habit never to keep my finger on the trigger, unless prepared to fire, but is it possible that a foreign object (or another digit on the shooting hand) could get wedged in the grip and cause a ND?

The short answer to this is no.

Because the Tavor has a relatively heavy military trigger, ND's have never been a problem for me. Its designed so that you can hang the rifle by its trigger without it firing. There is a very convenient indexing point that encourages you to keep your index out of the trigger guard/handle.

Personally one of the benefits of that open guard for Canadians has been the ability to wear mittens and still operate the firearm!  Grin
Dave_I

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »

Personally one of the benefits of that open guard for Canadians has been the ability to wear mittens and still operate the firearm!  Grin
Living in Wisconsin, and being stupid enough to go shooting with my dad and nephew in some of the coldest days of winter when we were desperate enough to plink off a few rounds, I can appreciate that!

-Cheers
new2bullpups

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »

Quick question for those fortunate enough to already own a Tavor: I can't help but wonder if a dedicated trigger guard should have been included in the design of the Tavor.  I know that the Tavor TAR-21 has been placed into actual service, and I understand that it has reportedly withstood such real-combat rigors admirably.  My question is, has anyone had any problems with the "open trigger guard" design? I make it a habit never to keep my finger on the trigger, unless prepared to fire, but is it possible that a foreign object (or another digit on the shooting hand) could get wedged in the grip and cause a ND?

The short answer to this is no.

Because the Tavor has a relatively heavy military trigger, ND's have never been a problem for me. Its designed so that you can hang the rifle by its trigger without it firing. There is a very convenient indexing point that encourages you to keep your index out of the trigger guard/handle.

Personally one of the benefits of that open guard for Canadians has been the ability to wear mittens and still operate the firearm!  Grin

Thanks very much for the input, TV-PP & Dave_I!

Don't have much occasion to deploy our tactical woolen mittens.

But what with December 21 upon us, and the supposed shift in earth's axis (or the melting of the polar icecaps, or the flocks of winged monkeys that will descend from the sky), you and Dave_I may soon be enjoying a tropical climate, while I may soon be living amidst the permafrost, right?!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:26:46 AM by new2bullpups » Logged
NoShelter

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »

Do you have any vids on your tikka? I'm considering a t3 tac after my tavor.
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

Sorry man, I wish I did! But I don't do videos on guns until I feel I'm really qualified to speak about them. (Which is why I haven't done a video on the IWI Jericho yet)

And I just don't love the Tikka the same way I love the Tavor.  Cheesy
Dave_I

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »

And I just don't love the Tikka the same way I love the Tavor.  Cheesy
Probably because it's not an ACR.  Wink  Just kidding.

-Cheers
Savior4116

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »

I'll take both. In all honestly I would prefer the SCAR 16......JUST BECAUSE ITS A PROVEN PLATFORM. I can't wait to post a review. Hurry IWI, the clock is ticking.
TV-PressPass

Tavor TAR-21 Shooter

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »

Lol I know that maybe the "SAR" isn't a proven platform, but the TAR21 saw plenty of combat in Operation Cast Lead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length