Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:41:09 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  New owner w/ questions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New owner w/ questions  (Read 404 times)
SWOH

« on: October 16, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »

I just got an A3M1 and was wondering a few things, starting with the 3X optic - mine has a "donut and dot" reticle, not a donut w/ crosshairs.  Is this new?  I assume the scope is 3X since it's stamped right on the mount, not a mistake, as I thought the 1.5X had this type reticle too.

Next question is will the screws fastening the short receiver side rail seat flush if I remove it and reinstall them minus rail or are there screws available that will seat flush (don't know length, diameter/type or thread pitch) to fill the hole?

Last, is the mannox-treated barrel actually inferior to the older discontinued CL barrels w/ respect to accuracy, or is this just someone looking for a reason to complain?

Oh, also want to know if lens covers are available for the factory scope?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:35:24 PM by SWOH » Logged
pigpin

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:18 PM »

The 1.5 scope also has the doughnut of dab but it does not on my rifle anyway have a DOT or cross hair just a circle. Sure what you're talking about on the rail? The barrel on the old CL that was milspec. Chrome lining does cause and actually is less accurate then a  nitrate Barrel. PJ anthem has most part when they are available on the lens covers he hasn't had those for quite a while. What I use would be the rubber bikini scope covers. They have enough stretch you can put them over in and the front and it covers the caps very well
lockon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:01:29 PM »

I would call steyr about the reticle being wrong possibly. Itís a little odd. I canít help on the side screws sorry. I have the CL barrels and I can say that they are quite accurate-I have experience the new barrels on a friends AUG and the performance is similar given the factory ammo we were using. No go on lense caps though I did see a thread before of someone trying to get the Austrian ones. So one should be able to 3D print some I would think.

Hope you enjoy your new AUG.
SWOH

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 02:55:06 PM »

Thanks, gentlemen.  I am getting to like the rifle the more I handle it, just having picked it up yesterday.  I naturally seem to want to grab the charging handle palm up and the trigger is far better than expected, though my 2020 sear just came.  My only complaint thus is Steyr should've reprofiled the edges of the safety w/o having the owner to DIY, which I did, as it is an obvious flaw.  It will probably be a month or so until I can visit the range, but I have a new M14 coming, so I can make it a productive visit.
THX1138

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 03:15:48 PM »

The latest shipments of 1.5x and 3x scopes do not have crosshairs. I was told earlier this year that going forward scopes would be donut without crosshairs.
southernfried8888

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »

...  My only complaint thus is Steyr should've reprofiled the edges of the safety w/o having the owner to DIY, which I did, as it is an obvious flaw.  ...

New AUGs require a blood sacrifice to go from safe to fire.
SWOH

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 05:10:39 PM »

The latest shipments of 1.5x and 3x scopes do not have crosshairs. I was told earlier this year that going forward scopes would be donut without crosshairs.

I guess that they didn't have a justification for this like research showing better/faster target acquisition that they mentioned?  I dislike apparently random (cost-driven?) changes that don't have a rationale that makes me think things are improving and I know I would rather have crosshairs until proven better.
SWOH

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 12:12:48 AM »

2020 TSM was an easy ten minute job I actually did on the porcelain throne - nothing s***ty about it.  Better than reading an old magazine.
SWOH

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »

Butler Creek bikini covers work.  Receiver screws are M6 - 1.0 x 4mm (most likely, as 6mm are too long), so you will have to grind the latter down to fit.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length