Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:14:22 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  X95 barrel/handguard removal Q
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 barrel/handguard removal Q  (Read 249 times)
AllenInWV
New Posting Member

« on: October 13, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »

So in my haste to get my newly purchased X95 suppressor-ready, I may have made it impossible to take the handguard off. A Rocksetted SilencerCo ASR flash hider is CLEARLY bigger round than the hole in the handguard, which the IWI barrel removal video seems to make clear must pass through.

After staring at it for 15 minutes, a thought occurred to me. I only need to slide the handguard forward enough to allow the charging handle rod to clear the barrel nut. Once that happens, I SHOULD be able to remove the barrel assembly, right?

* KOFmGkc - Imgur.jpg (91.7 KB, 893x499 - viewed 36 times.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:46:53 PM by AllenInWV » Logged
l2a3

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »

Sorry, I disagree with your assessment. 

I removed the pistol grip and side fastening screw (pg. 67 in manual) to release the handguard assembly. I believe that front opening of the handguard will prevent you from tipping the handguard enough to allow you to remove the operating rod.  You can move the saddle out of alignment to allow the operating rod to move forward beyond the saddle.
There is not be enough room to move the operating rod out around the handguard without bending it because of the size of the handguard. That is my experience trying to remove the “new” operating rod without removing the handguard off the barrel. (The handguard front opening was against the flash hider jam nut, and the rear of the handguard tipped away from the barrel and rotated to different angles.)
I could not remove the operating rod without possibly bending it. Maybe someone more willing to accept bending the operating rod could figure out a way to do it.
Zolkalf

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 05:57:34 PM »

When I got my barrel cut and pinned to 14.5 my Gunsmith called me and asked if I was absolutely sure I wanted to do this as there were a couple issues, I told him to continue.

The first issue was he was having a hard time getting the charging handle in due to the new break diameter and the shorter barrel.

On the next phone call the Gunsmith told me he was able to get the charging handle in but had to use like a weird angle and twist to get it to go in. The other issue was now that the rifle was put together that the fore end would permanently be attached to the barrel as it will not slide off the front or rear.

I told him it wasn't a big deal as I still had the OEM fore end and rail and if I wanted to go back to stock I could buy a new a 16 or 18 inch barrel and closet the 14.5 if I wanted to change it up.

In saying all that I think what you want to do is what I had done but in reverse. So yeah, I would think that if you can get your charging handle out your good with the rest, but your fore end will be permantetly attached to your barrel. For me that wasn't a big issue.

* break.jpg (310.17 KB, 692x922 - viewed 29 times.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:10:07 PM by Zolkalf » Logged

Track the liars down and then remove their crowns!
Zolkalf on PubG
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 02:15:06 AM »

It can be done, but it might take some work. However, once off, it's easy enough to enlarge the hole in the end of the forearm. Also, if you can't get the forearm forward enough to remove the cocking rod (proper term), just cut it off. Then buy a new one, enlarge the hole and slide it on. They're not expensive.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
BellatorInvictus
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 01:18:07 PM »

You could always just SBR it--then you don't have to perm the flash hider. It only took like 30 days for my eForm 1 (via trust) to clear about a year ago. You're going to be on the NFA already anyway with the suppressor.

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length