Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:55:42 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Scary X95 malfunction - what could have caused it?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Scary X95 malfunction - what could have caused it?  (Read 1288 times)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »

False...the spring is there to prevent slam fires...but yes...if the spring is not there...he needs it.
voip-ninja

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »

I have received the new firing pin and spring from IWI and put my rifle back together after thoroughly cleaning it.

I've discovered that cleaning the chamber on the X95 is pretty difficult due to the configuration but it's pretty clean now. The gun was dirty but not filthy. I can't say it's impossible that dirtiness from running a mag suppressed didn't cause the malfunction.

I don't have a headspace gauge and they are difficult to get right now so might have a local gunsmith check headspace for me.

I am speculating right now that it's possible that what happened with my malfunction is the following;

1. Fired a round
2. Weapon didn't go fully into battery causing the next round FTF
3. I cycled the weapon but didn't fully actuate the charging handle resulting in a round that wasn't chambered properly.
4. When the weapon was partially disassembled and the charging handle removed the weapon went into battery.
5. Weapon goes into battery and now is able to be discharged.

If this is correct then the only question is was #1 caused by bad ammo, dirty chamber, or a part failure of some kind. I've inspected the chamber per IWI recommendation and find no protrusions or other reasons that a round would not chamber correctly.

boscoman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 09:04:23 PM »

I hate to break this to everyone but this type of malfunction is only too common. 98% of the time it is nothing more than a bad round, rifle or pistol. Mortar the round out & keep shooting. It doesn't require tearing the firearm apart and dissecting it.

The worst I have ever seen was a steel case 308 round that required a rod & hammer to get out. Still it was the round & not the rifle. The few times I have seen the rifle to be the cause was when the person had used a boat load of steel case ammo & lacquered up the chamber. A good cleaning & no more issues. Past that I have seen a few ARs that needed  buffer & spring "tuning" because of FTF / FTE issues (bolt wouldn't go all the way forward, or lock back properly).

So take the rifle out, go shooting & relax. For starters the rifle is not made to be babied. As IWI will tell you in the armorers class it is a combat rifle. Treat it as such. If it happens again mortar the round, take a good look at it & if it doesn't happen again, all good.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
voip-ninja

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »

I hate to break this to everyone but this type of malfunction is only too common. 98% of the time it is nothing more than a bad round, rifle or pistol. Mortar the round out & keep shooting. It doesn't require tearing the firearm apart and dissecting it.

The worst I have ever seen was a steel case 308 round that required a rod & hammer to get out. Still it was the round & not the rifle. The few times I have seen the rifle to be the cause was when the person had used a boat load of steel case ammo & lacquered up the chamber. A good cleaning & no more issues. Past that I have seen a few ARs that needed  buffer & spring "tuning" because of FTF / FTE issues (bolt wouldn't go all the way forward, or lock back properly).

So take the rifle out, go shooting & relax. For starters the rifle is not made to be babied. As IWI will tell you in the armorers class it is a combat rifle. Treat it as such. If it happens again mortar the round, take a good look at it & if it doesn't happen again, all good.

All of my training classes have been taken with mid-tier ARs and I've never experienced a failure like this even with many thousands of rounds sent down range. At most I've had to strip mags, pull bolts and charging handles and fish rounds out of the lower due to a weapon that wasn't properly lubricated inducing double feed.

I'm fine with proper instruction of how to clear the jam so that is appreciated. I don't know that my nearby ranges, all of which are indoor affairs are going to be okay with me mortaring the rifle there so this still poses a bit of a problem if it happens again.

I would expect something like this if I was shooting complete garbage ammo but Federal stuff is usually pretty reliable.

Anyways unless I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours round trip the only way I'm going to be able to function check this weapon is to take it to indoor range, so I will do so and discuss with RSO when I get there what is going on.

I will then update the thread.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:57:52 PM by voip-ninja » Logged
jrttac
New Posting Member

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »

I ordered a firing pin with the fp spring fom Brownells and since the dimensions are exactly the same as my original fp(mine has no fp spring), I was able to install the spring and proceeded to do dryfires. If I ride the cocking handle forward the hammer doesn't reset which without the spring it will . I noticed also that the new dummy round didn't have an indentation. After removing the fp spring I noticed that it got deformed from the dozen or so dryfires that I did. I asked my gunstore and I was reassured that the Tavor X95 that I have came without that firing pin spring. In passing I should mention that the round that will be chambered after firing will always have a very light indentation on its primer.
voip-ninja

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »

I guess the military issues version doesn't have the spring or didn't have the spring.

The military version also came with a different charging handle than the one that shipped to the North American market until they came out with a modified Gen 4 version of this handle.

The IDF version of the handle allowed more force to be applied to clear out jammed rounds so I see why IWI eventually reintroduced it into the NA market.

I would switch mine out to the Gen 4 handle but I have a pinned muzzle device so it would be a job for a gunsmith to remove the muzzle device, install the Gen 4 handle and then reinstall the muzzle device. Not sure if it's worth the cost at that point.
boscoman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »

The worst I have ever seen was a steel case 308 round that required a rod & hammer to get out. Still it was the round & not the rifle. The few times I have seen the rifle to be the cause was when the person had used a boat load of steel case ammo & lacquered up the chamber. A good cleaning & no more issues. Past that I have seen a few ARs that needed  buffer & spring "tuning" because of FTF / FTE issues (bolt wouldn't go all the way forward, or lock back properly).

All of my training classes have been taken with mid-tier ARs and I've never experienced a failure like this even with many thousands of rounds sent down range. At most I've had to strip mags, pull bolts and charging handles and fish rounds out of the lower due to a weapon that wasn't properly lubricated inducing double feed.

I'm fine with proper instruction of how to clear the jam so that is appreciated. I don't know that my nearby ranges, all of which are indoor affairs are going to be okay with me mortaring the rifle there so this still poses a bit of a problem if it happens again.

I would expect something like this if I was shooting complete garbage ammo but Federal stuff is usually pretty reliable.

Anyways unless I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours round trip the only way I'm going to be able to function check this weapon is to take it to indoor range, so I will do so and discuss with RSO when I get there what is going on.

I will then update the thread.

As an armorer at a gun store I get the pleasure of seeing all types of malfunctions & errors on the part of gun owners. They are just machines that can & do fail & can sometimes be fed with defective "fuel" no matter the maker.

I would go test fire & not mention to the RSO that I had a single stuck round & am now test firing. If it doesn't happen again all you have done is bring extra scrutiny to your self that you really don't need.

If it does repeat itself then I would approach the RSO, tell him I have a stuck round & ask if I can mortar it. I haven't been told no yet.

Just my 2 cents.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
First Bullpup
New Posting Member

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »

The kind of jam that you had can be explained by a deformed neck on the case. This happened to other rifles of mine with some reloads that had numerous deformed necks.
voip-ninja

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »

OK finally had time today to function check this weapon at a nearby indoor range.

I brought three different magazines and two boxes of American Eagle M193 ammunition.

Rifle worked perfectly, no malfunctions, bolt locked back properly on all magazines.

So, cause of malfunction unknown but defective round seems most likely.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length