Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 01:00:45 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Any Sub MOA options?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Any Sub MOA options?  (Read 4664 times)
FrozenIceman

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:45 AM »

DT had a blog post that claimed 1 to 2 moa, the paperwork for the rifle I believe says 1.5 moa.

I believe the guy reporting sub moa was using an after market es SS Barrel, when I called them they said that they can get 25% better accuracy over stock

It sounds like yor are middle of the pack with your mdrx
LazyEngineer

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 04:42:01 AM »

Finally grouped the mdrx 16Ē 308. I dunno who was reporting sub moa, or if I just got one with a s*** collar, but letís rundown the rig. Running PA GLx 2.5-10, and FGMM 168gr SMK, will try some different loads later, but best 5 shot group @100 I was able to get was 1.5Ē. Sorry I forgot to take pics, Iíll get back out with some 175grs and some other loads an get pics. Granted Iím not the best shot of all time, but Iím also not complete dog s*** either.  However, for reference, I was able to get better groups with a T7 which to me is rather disappointing. Could it have just been a bad day? Sure. Time will tell. For recoil this is absolutely a super soft 308, on par with a SCAR IMO just a different pattern.

1.5 MOA is their stated spec.  And I'd be very happy if mine did that.  I'm getting 2-4 MOA with my 6.5 CM MDR.  Here's what it does with factory match ammo.   I've tried numerous different loads, and this is typical.

Suffice it to say, I'm not too happy right now.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 07:10:44 AM »

Finally grouped the mdrx 16Ē 308. I dunno who was reporting sub moa, or if I just got one with a s*** collar, but letís rundown the rig. Running PA GLx 2.5-10, and FGMM 168gr SMK, will try some different loads later, but best 5 shot group @100 I was able to get was 1.5Ē. Sorry I forgot to take pics, Iíll get back out with some 175grs and some other loads an get pics. Granted Iím not the best shot of all time, but Iím also not complete dog s*** either.  However, for reference, I was able to get better groups with a T7 which to me is rather disappointing. Could it have just been a bad day? Sure. Time will tell. For recoil this is absolutely a super soft 308, on par with a SCAR IMO just a different pattern.

Better than 1.5" with a T7?  How many groups did you have to fire to find one 5 shot group that was that small?  I'm not being a smart@ss, but given the documented accuracy shortcomings of the T7, I find that rather incredulous. 

Kurt
WIndstorm

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 07:29:27 AM »

@lazyEngineer yeah, that definitely doesnít seem at all right compared with what Iíve seen out of three MDR/X in .308 and 6.5, I would definitely call DT and see if they can help set things right.

If you want to keep tinkering yourself, my suggestion would be to see if there is any minor play in the barrel extension with everything torqued up, if there is you might be able to add some thin shim material to tighten things up (similar to shimming an AR barrel extension for accuracy)

The other suggestion would be to rent a high speed camera for a day, and take some shots from a locked down lead sled with the handguard off to see whatís going on with barrel harmonics.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »

@lazyEngineer yeah, that definitely doesnít seem at all right compared with what Iíve seen out of three MDR/X in .308 and 6.5, I would definitely call DT and see if they can help set things right.

If you want to keep tinkering yourself, my suggestion would be to see if there is any minor play in the barrel extension with everything torqued up, if there is you might be able to add some thin shim material to tighten things up (similar to shimming an AR barrel extension for accuracy)

The other suggestion would be to rent a high speed camera for a day, and take some shots from a locked down lead sled with the handguard off to see whatís going on with barrel harmonics.

Ok, I'll give them a call.  I tried their on-line webform, but that hasn't gone anywhere so far.  I'm encouraged that others consider this atypical.  I will say, with that 20" barrel, one doesn't have to put much pressure on it, to bend the whole thing.  You can see the gas-block pic rail dip, just from a little hand-pressure on the end of the barrel.   Am I supposed to do more than the books 80 in-lb of torque or something?  The screws holding the trunion to the reciever doen't seem loose or obviously amiss.  So I
m not sure what the deal is.  My barrel extension isn't obviously loose.  And doesn't seem to open up  when the barrel heats up ( I once had an Alexander Arms Grendel barrel extension come loose on the barrel when it got hot, causing groups to open way up; and then tighten back up when it cooled down.  Took me a while to figure that one out!)
Echoproxy

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2021, 01:12:34 AM »

Better than 1.5" with a T7?  How many groups did you have to fire to find one 5 shot group that was that small?  I'm not being a smart@ss, but given the documented accuracy shortcomings of the T7, I find that rather incredulous. 

RIGHT, man I was super surprised with the accuracy of my T7. Specifically Winchester Match 168gr is the load that I could get to shoot slightly under 1.5Ē 5 shot groups @ 100, only the first group for a string of fire because the barrel heats up quickly. No other load I tried would do that. Thatís why I was so disappointed that I wasnít able to get the MDRX to perform superior because by all rights it should stomp the T7. But again I only tried FGMM 168gr in the mdrx so far, so like I was saying could have been a bad day or just not a favorable cartridge for this rifle. Sorry I know ďpics or it didnít happenĒ so I canít validate it, but Iím not trying to s*** on anything, or make wild claims. I personally enjoy the mdrx better over all, just what my experiences have been so far.
odinforever2000

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 03:02:20 PM »

I've only put 5 rounds of Fed gmmk through my MdrX (The other 5 I had left went through the Rfb).
No rest but it was from a bench @ 100yrds

Got 1.8 moa with a 5 shot group (Similar to the American Marksman review on the Mdr)..Sadly I don't have anymore to shoot and can't find any..
The other 4 rounds on the paper are Hsm 168gr. I shot 10 rounds of that and still got around 3moa.Neither rifle particularly liked that ammo..

I did find some Superperformace Match 168 Eld I might shoot that this week.

* shot_1610922046050.jpg (137.75 KB, 1051x1182 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:04:36 PM by odinforever2000 » Logged

May God stand between you and harm......in all the empty places you must walk -Ancient egyptian blessing
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 10:56:22 AM »

Bringing this back from the dead because I do have an Aimpoint 6x magnifier on the way along with the BLK LBL bipod so I'll try to get that barrel tested this spring

Update: I went to the range with the bipod-handguard and then realized I didn't do my homework properly.  2 MOA dot x 6x magnifier = 12 MOA dot  investigate

Going to swap my red dot out with the EOTech I've got and try again...

* 3x-Magnification-Red-Dot-vs-Holographic.jpg (11.21 KB - downloaded 12 times.)
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 07:31:11 PM »

Much better.  This was some casual zero confirmation in the rain so that I could get ready for run-'n-gun stuff next weekend - didn't go nuts trying to shoot full groups, but I think the similarity between these two says something at least.

This is just with my stock 2019 MDR barrel, using IWI 5.56mm M193 ammo.  I guess there's another data point for 1.5 MOA

Custom barrel groups I think I can try to do next time I get around to it - would rather bring that one with a muzzle brake, when it's not raining

* IMG_20210411_172553_onFireAbhi.jpg (2923.44 KB, 4032x2272 - viewed 7 times.)
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 07:44:39 PM »

Update: I went to the range with the bipod-handguard and then realized I didn't do my homework properly.  2 MOA dot x 6x magnifier = 12 MOA dot  investigate

Are you sure?  The target would also be magnified 6x so it would essentially be a wash since the magnifier is magnifying everything you see by a similar amount.

Kurt
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 08:05:43 PM »

Are you sure?  The target would also be magnified 6x so it would essentially be a wash since the magnifier is magnifying everything you see by a similar amount.

Either way, the EOTech was a huge help with a much more precise dot (with more granular brightness adjustment!) than the old LED image from my Steiner
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length