Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2020, 05:09:55 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  AC-Unity magazines for AUG standard stock
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AC-Unity magazines for AUG standard stock  (Read 332 times)
Andygold

« on: September 14, 2020, 11:35:06 PM »

I just ordered a few of the above.  I'm hoping to have them in a week or two.  I'll put up a review once I've had a chance to play with them.

According to the company;

The AC-Unity 30rd .223/5.56x45mm window magazine for Steyr AUG. Designed to offer greater strength and impact resistance than factory AUG magazines.

Made from an advanced, German made polymer-resin/granulate that is light weight and extremely shock resistant. The body is impact resistant through a wide range of temperatures (-30C to 120C.). This polymer is exclusive to AC-Unity and gives these mags a huge edge in weight and durability.

Front and rear locking lugs and reinforcements are machined from German GD ZN 410 metal legure; this is a specific German marine grade metal-alloy that is hardened, anti-magnetic, highly anti-corrosive with great wear properties.

Carbon wire spring has a lifetime warranty against corrosion and will not degrade from use or loaded storage. These are designed for long term storage, even when fully loaded.

Low-friction anti-tilt follower and a removable floor plate for easy cleaning.

This mag is built to last using state of the art materials! AC-Unity magazines are used by Bosnian Defense Forces and other militaries in Europe and the Middle East. Not just military grade; but current military issue.

Lifetime warranty against defect, loss of spring strength or corrosion.

Specifications:

Magazine Weight (Unloaded): 4.8 Ounces
Color: Black
Capacity: 30rd
Cartridge: 5.56x45mm / .223
Condition: New
Production: Made in Bosnia and Herzegovina
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:42:37 PM by Andygold » Logged
Jack Flag

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 03:50:14 AM »

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts. I can't see a reason to pick these over Pmags (if not getting Steyr stuff). But more good options are always good. Smiley
southernfried8888
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »

For me, if they want to be competitive with PMAGs they need to add ranger plates.
Andygold

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »

Received the AC-Unity mags yesterday.  Decided to compare them to the waffle mags and PMAG AUS mags.  I've not had a chance to shoot with them, so I can only give you some specifications and my opinions...

The AC-Unity mags will easily drop free when empty.  On the other hand, with my PMAGs, I had to do some serious sanding  to get them to drop free.

AC-Unity AUG mag.  Notice there are 21 rounds in the magazine.  Rounds are used to show capacity, same as waffle.  PMAG has one coil of the magazine spring painted orange, which shows through the window.

PMAG on left, AC-Unity in the middle, waffle on the right.

Notice the metal areas for lock-up and positioning on the AC-Unity in the middle spot.  Unknown if the metal will put extra wear on the AUG's parts.  Grey areas on PMAG are due to the need to sand the mag to get it to drop free.
The waffle is the shortest of the 3 mags.  The AC-Unity is about 1/8" taller towards the back of the feed lips.  The PMAG is more than 1/4" taller than the AC-Unity.
Also, notice that the followers on the PMAG and AC-Unity take the first round on the left side, while the waffle's first round is on the right (for those of you who chamber a round from a fresh magazine - in the dark - and then remove the magazine and feel the top to ensure that the top round is now on the other side of the mag...)

The windows on the 2 window mags are about the same clarity.  My phone's flash makes the AC-unity harder to see through, but with the naked eye, they are about the same.

For those who like specifications:  for width (across the spline)  PMAG 0.97", AC-Unity 0.97 at the bottom, with it being 0.95" throughout the whole insertion depth.  Waffle 1.05" at the bottom, and 0.98" towards the top.
Front to back, all three are 2.63"
Floor Plate width:  PMAG 1.119", AC-Unity 1.120", Waffle 1.280"
Floor Plate length: PMAG 2.724", AC-Unity 2.834, Waffle 2.764

Weight of the empty magazine:  PMAG 5.27oz. (149.4g), AC-Unity 4.79oz. (135.9g), Waffle 4.34oz. (123.0g)

Springs from top to bottom; PMAG, AC-Unity, Waffle
The PMAG spring is .056" thick,  AC-Unity .048", Waffle .0475.  PMAG although the shortest, definitely provides more tension than the other two.  It has the most coils and uses the thickest wire. The AC-Unity and waffle feel about the same as each other when loading and unloading, but they both seem to have less spring tension than the PMAG.
When pulling the magazines apart, the followers in the PMAG and AC-Unity slide out without stiction.  The waffle's follower seems to stick here and there while removing and installing.  All 3 magazines have anti-tilt followers.

Again, I've not put any rounds through the AC-Unity, so I cannot comment on its function.  I can say that the two I bought both easily drop free when the mag release is pushed (Corvus Defensio extended mag release).  Both AC-Unity mags held the bolt back when the bolt was hand-cycled on an empty magazine.  Both allowed the bolt to close when the bolt release was pushed, and both chambered the first round from a fully loaded magazine.

Final thoughts (at this point in time🥴): The AC-Unity ($16.95) are a bit less expensive than the PMAGs ($18.95) if comparing MSRP, while waffles run anywhere from the low twenties to mid forties for a 30 rounder depending upon vendor and sale pricing.  I realize that there are some people who will use nothing but waffle mags in their standard-stocked AUGs.  With that said,  if you don't mind aftermarket and have the choice of the PMAG or the AC-Unity, at this point in time I'm leaning towards the latter, as I won't have to spend an hour sanding the AC-Unity to get it to the point where it will drop free.  They come drop free in my particular rifle whereas PMAGs need to be sanded heavily to get them to drop.  Obviously, only time will tell as to how these new magazines perform, wear, and last.  I'm going to keep mine fully loaded long term and see if that has any negative effect.  Now I just need to get to the range for the most important thing, to see how they actually work Grin
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:30:22 PM by Andygold » Logged
ttarp

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »

Nice write up so far, I appreciate the thoroughness.
Skinny06

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:41:41 AM »

Thanks for the ongoing review.

I knew pmags existed for the standard, but have always preferred waffles. Nice to know there is another option that fits without need of being massaged.

I like the metal plates on the AC unity, but would have concerns about wear over time on the rifle parts that lock up.

On your extended mag release, are those parts not changed out?
Andygold

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:25:50 PM »

To add:

All 3 magazines will accept 31 rounds.

In an HSGI Taco, with it adjusted for a waffle (adjusted in that there is enough retention to hold the loaded mag if the taco is turned upside down, and gently shaken a few times before the magazine falls completely out)....

The waffle slips out the easiest.  The PMAG is retained better.  The AC-Unity mag had the best retention in the taco by far, but still can be removed without a struggle, or hangup.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:37:43 PM by Andygold » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length