Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 09:36:38 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Sight Height over bore
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sight Height over bore  (Read 279 times)
ReaperLily

« on: September 13, 2020, 10:10:34 PM »

Does anyone know what is the precise sight height over bore on a X95 with a Meprolight RDS?

I tried to measure it and get 3.5 to 4" but looking for the precise measurement.
BillyG

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »

Get a pencil and tape measure. Find a sturdy vertical flat surface, like a wall. Make a small mark shoulder-ish high on the wall with a pencil. Mount rifle and center muzzle/flash hider over mark. Look/aim through optic keeping the rifle parallel to the ground (muzzle flat against wall). Take pencil and mark center of dot/crosshair. Then measure distance between marks on wall. There's your HOB, not somebody else's.

If you want to get technical:

1. Measure the bolt diameter and divide it in half.
2. Measure the optic's (glass/tube) diameter and divide it in half.
3. Measure the distance from the top of the bolt in the rifle to the bottom of the scope on the rifle.
4. Add the numbers found in the in steps 1-3

There are other ways...but the wall method is quick, down and dirty.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:17:45 PM by BillyG » Logged
ReaperLily

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »

Thanks Billy G.  I appreciate the directions!
ReaperLily

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »

I Put the X95 on some cardboard and used a carpenters square to measure the distance from the middle of the sight to the middle of the barrel.  I marked with a pencil each with the help of the carpenter tool I was able to get a good mark straight form the end of the barrel to the middle of the sight. 

Then I used a digital caliber to measure the distance.  The distance came to 3.81"

Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »

The height over bore is important to trajectory. However, with this gun it's not that critical. Using 3.5" or 3.75" (obviously depending on the optic) is close enough. HOB only really starts to be important with longer shots. Think past 300 yards.

Based on the reported accuracy of the X95, 2-3MOA, and it's intent to be a close battle rifle, measuring the HOB within .25" is more than close enough.

If you want to shoot further than 300 yards, consider a different rifle.

For the record, BillyG's method is going to give you the best results. The ReaperLily method has some parallax issues. Maybe not dramatic as far as this measurement is concerned, but enough to negate that second decimal point of precision.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length