Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 08:01:14 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Let's see those blades!!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Let's see those blades!!  (Read 897 times)
Lonewolf McQuade

« on: August 08, 2020, 10:38:09 PM »

Benchmade Arvensis

* 20190501_175055.jpg (3470.89 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 56 times.)
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »

Benchmade Contego (with a G45)

* 20200316_190223.jpg (4888.3 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 49 times.)
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »

Buck w/Sig P938

* 20190611_092013.jpg (3876.22 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 49 times.)
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »

This is the bullpup forum so... Ontario Combat bayonet  mounted on Tavor SAR

* Screenshot_20200808-224907_Gallery.jpg (132.92 KB, 1560x720 - viewed 45 times.)
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 02:25:53 AM »

Here's the batch I'm making, now.  This is my first foray into knife making, having finished my belt grinder build (Jeremy Schmidt's design) a couple of months ago.  My 12 year old son designed the lower, hidden-tang knife.  My six will get black canvas micarta scales, and my son wants a wood handle on his (though I think that maybe an antler tine might look really cool).

The second picture is of the 7 knifes stacked up.  Considering that these were all cut from old, rusty leaf springs, I'm pretty danged happy with how flat they are!  Smiley  I like the look of the rust pits, and left them on my knives, but I may grind them all out, after all, since it looks like the scales won't sit cleanly against the pits.

* 20200808_155756.jpg (449.93 KB, 1152x864 - viewed 50 times.)

* 20200808_163146.jpg (443.51 KB, 1815x902 - viewed 48 times.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:29:04 AM by Plinker » Logged

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
www.techparentz.com - Learn, Share, Teach.
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 03:23:37 AM »

Impressive @Plinker  Shocked !!!! I'm digging it! Can't wait to see the finished product. It be cool if you throw some pics up through the process , now through completion. I like the antler idea
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:25:34 AM by Lonewolf McQuade » Logged
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »

Thanks, Lonewolf McQuade!  I didn't make progress on the blades because I tweaked my grinder in (it's been a struggle with the belts wanting to track to one side or the other).  It should now run true, which will make knife-making much easier!  I'll post pics next weekend.

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 07:57:49 PM »

Thanks, Lonewolf McQuade!  I didn't make progress on the blades because I tweaked my grinder in (it's been a struggle with the belts wanting to track to one side or the other).  It should now run true, which will make knife-making much easier!  I'll post pics next weekend.

Excellent! Looking forward to it
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 12:24:22 AM »

S&W

* 20200810_002216.jpg (3979.51 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 50 times.)
Zolkalf

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 02:24:29 PM »

ESSE 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APSsf_NIQD0

* ESSE 5 (2).jpg (587.47 KB, 1037x1383 - viewed 47 times.)

* esse 5.jpg (491.79 KB, 1037x1383 - viewed 47 times.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:32:41 PM by RebellionOnIce » Logged

Track the liars down and then remove their crowns!
Zolkalf on PubG
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 03:47:25 PM »

That's a bad a $$ knife!! 👍
Zolkalf

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 03:59:28 PM »

Yeah, it's a Brute for sure.
That one I hadn't manage to lose yet. For some reason I lose pocket knives lol. I really want an Infedel but am worried to pay $300 or 400 bucks and lose it in a few months time so for my EDC it's a Gerber multitool and has served me well.

Track the liars down and then remove their crowns!
Zolkalf on PubG
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 07:26:05 PM »

Yeah, it's a Brute for sure.
That one I hadn't manage to lose yet. For some reason I lose pocket knives lol. I really want an Infedel but am worried to pay $300 or 400 bucks and lose it in a few months time so for my EDC it's a Gerber multitool and has served me well.

I hear that! Lol Although,  I find myself double & triple checking my pocket or belt  constantly when carrying the expensive knives
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 08:11:51 PM »

Sorry, we've had a few weeks of 100+ temps and a couple of weeks of fires, here in Korruptifornia, but I was able to make progress this weekend on not just the knives, but a couple of tools, as well.

I started drilling holes in the knife handles, but they had hardened enough (either from the minor forging I did to flatten the spring steel, or from throwing them onto what was probably damp crushed granite) that my drill bits squealed and dulled quickly.  I decided to throw them back into my heat treating oven and anneal them.  In addition to that, I had bought a batch of lathe bits several years ago for a benchtop lathe that I've had for ages.  Some of the bits are too large for my lathe (IMHO), so I decided to throw them into the oven and soften them, too.

Annealing the steel allowed me to soften the handles enough to drill them (to lighten them, and boy did that make a difference!) and build a plunge line guide with the lathe bits.  I still need to re-quench the steel to harden it, but I can tell you that it was no small feat to cut the threads into one side!  The steel drilled easily enough, but threading was another matter, and the steel wanted to bind up on the tap.  I broke my first tap, even being super careful, and the steel got noticeably warm even with tap oil and being careful with my second attempt.  I think I'll buy future guides!

I also learned the importance of really thinking about and laying out the knife design completely, even what's under the scales.  As you can see, my holes are not even close to symmetrical, and are a bit of an embarrassment.  But hey, I'm just starting this journey, and mistakes will happen, right?

I had really liked my little skinners, but the shape and feel of the knife at the bottom appeals to me the most, so I'm going to keep that one and give the others away to a couple of guys that gave me the spring steel to make them, and to each of my best friends who have been very supportive of this process (assuming that the final results aren't completely embarrassments).

I also built a bevel/grinding fixture that I'll use to get my grinds done properly, and I made a steel etching device to etch the logo I designed (representing the Cascade mountain range) and cut on my new Cricut vinyl cutter. 

I've been having some fun, I tell you!

* 20200914_162148.jpg (349.47 KB, 1100x864 - viewed 22 times.)

* 20200905_161053.jpg (230.79 KB, 788x829 - viewed 20 times.)

Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »

Sorry, we've had a few weeks of 100+ temps and a couple of weeks of fires, here in Korruptifornia, but I was able to make progress this weekend on not just the knives, but a couple of tools, as well.

I started drilling holes in the knife handles, but they had hardened enough (either from the minor forging I did to flatten the spring steel, or from throwing them onto what was probably damp crushed granite) that my drill bits squealed and dulled quickly.  I decided to throw them back into my heat treating oven and anneal them.  In addition to that, I had bought a batch of lathe bits several years ago for a benchtop lathe that I've had for ages.  Some of the bits are too large for my lathe (IMHO), so I decided to throw them into the oven and soften them, too.

Annealing the steel allowed me to soften the handles enough to drill them (to lighten them, and boy did that make a difference!) and build a plunge line guide with the lathe bits.  I still need to re-quench the steel to harden it, but I can tell you that it was no small feat to cut the threads into one side!  The steel drilled easily enough, but threading was another matter, and the steel wanted to bind up on the tap.  I broke my first tap, even being super careful, and the steel got noticeably warm even with tap oil and being careful with my second attempt.  I think I'll buy future guides!

I also learned the importance of really thinking about and laying out the knife design completely, even what's under the scales.  As you can see, my holes are not even close to symmetrical, and are a bit of an embarrassment.  But hey, I'm just starting this journey, and mistakes will happen, right?

I had really liked my little skinners, but the shape and feel of the knife at the bottom appeals to me the most, so I'm going to keep that one and give the others away to a couple of guys that gave me the spring steel to make them, and to each of my best friends who have been very supportive of this process (assuming that the final results aren't completely embarrassments).

I also built a bevel/grinding fixture that I'll use to get my grinds done properly, and I made a steel etching device to etch the logo I designed (representing the Cascade mountain range) and cut on my new Cricut vinyl cutter. 

I've been having some fun, I tell you!

Always a learning curve when going down a new  path. I think you've done quite well,  very impressive!!!!
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 02:28:58 PM »

Thanks, Lonewolf McQuade.  I'm looking forward to getting much better, and putting out blades I can really be proud of!

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length