Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2020, 03:55:53 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Braced 9mm pistol for wife
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Braced 9mm pistol for wife  (Read 669 times)
Andygold

« on: July 03, 2020, 01:58:37 PM »

My AUG and AR15 are too much rifle for my wife (she's barely 5 feet tall).  Too long, too heavy, too much recoil (yes, I know it's only a .223).
She likes my PS90 due to all it brings to the battle.  With that said, I'm much faster getting multiple accurate shots on target(s) with the PS90 compared to my rifles... Making the PS90 my go to home defense gun.

So, with all the above, I figured maybe I'd  get her a braced 9mm pistol.  I'm assuming it would be lighter, shorter, and "possibly" have less recoil than a typical .223 (I realize some of the 9's have more recoil).

I've not fired any braced pistols yet, but was looking for some info on where to start my search.  I'm considering the Scorpion EVO 3 S1 or S2, the Stribog A3 (roller delayed), or on the really inexpensive end, the Extar EP9. All 3 are compact and relatives light weight.  I was hoping to keep it under a grand, but if there's something that fits the bill for a little more, I'd  go for it.  HK UMP I think it's only in .45.  SP5 is to expensive, as are the Zenith's.  MPX may be doable.

Any thoughts
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »

With a 9mm PCC/pistol, you have a lot of reciprocating mass unless it's one of the CMMG radially locked guns.  Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, just get another PS90.  She obviously likes it, and for home defense and ranges out to what would be considered "reasonable" for self defense, it would be ideal.  Plus, should there be a confrontation, you can swap mags and only have to worry about grabbing the one with the Punisher stickers instead of the Hello Kitty stickers. ;-)

Kidding aside, have to talked to her about this and asked what she wants?  It might be more than the budget, perhaps you can liquidate something in the safe or trade for the difference?

Kurt
Zolkalf

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »

How far does she want to shoot? For 50 yards and in I'd suggest a Glock 17 in a MCK Roni chassis. 2/33 round Glock mags and a nice red dot.

Track the liars down and then remove their crowns!
Zolkalf on PubG
mpd3285
^

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »

I've got a Extar EP9 and it's a great gun for the money. If you already have 9mm Glock mags you can simplify you life without having to get into other types of mags. Throw a Olight Baldr Pro Green Laser on the bottom and Holosun or Sig Optic on the top and you are done for under $700. When looking through the optic, split the difference between the red dot and green laser projection and theres your holdover point of impact.  Lightweight, easy to use.  I've got a ATI MKE HK clone, but this is alot lighter and much easier to clean.  It's not a roller gun, but well worth the price.

* 20200703_161738.jpg (4061.13 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 76 times.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:20:09 AM by mpd3285 » Logged

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »

I have both the scorpion carbine and the scorpion micro love them both --- I also have a  the Stribog A1 and also like that - about 300 dollars cheaper than the micro -- waiting on the A3.

9mm is a good home defense round. problem is all the pistols with side folding braces  are in 9 and departments are going back to 9's -- 9 ammo will be going up in price

looks at a berretta storm carbine -- comes in 9 and 40 and you can pick one up used for under $600 and the 40 will take down anyone.  I did not think it had that much recoil and used it for hunting deer.

the PS90 is nice but I wouldn't buy one -- better ammo choices out there ---- IMHO -- I think I would rather have a 22lr and shoot some stinger rounds over the PS90.  You can practice all day with regular 22 ammo and then load up with stingers for at home
FS2000OD
^

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 06:45:26 PM »

With a 9mm PCC/pistol, you have a lot of reciprocating mass unless it's one of the CMMG radially locked guns.  Rather than try to reinvent the wheel, just get another PS90.  She obviously likes it, and for home defense and ranges out to what would be considered "reasonable" for self defense, it would be ideal.  Plus, should there be a confrontation, you can swap mags and only have to worry about grabbing the one with the Punisher stickers instead of the Hello Kitty stickers. ;-)

Kidding aside, have to talked to her about this and asked what she wants?  It might be more than the budget, perhaps you can liquidate something in the safe or trade for the difference?

Just to add to this, H&K style roller lock guns will also have soft recoil compared to pure blowback guns.  Just food for thought.

-FN-H FS2000 Tactical OD (Upgraded+Eotech 512/G33)
-FN-H PS90 Standard LE (Just a sling/Optic, Form 1 next)
-Steyr AUG A3 OD (Upgraded+9mm 6th Gen Kit+24" HBAR w/bipod)
-Kel Tec RDB Black (Just an optic/sights/AFG)
-EAA Appeal (.22 WMR, TRS-25)
-HTA Hi-Point 995TS (sights/AFG/sling)
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »

I built this little fella on Christmas Day. Very small, light & easy to manage. Sharps 9mm receiver, SB tactical brace, 9mm upper & mil spec lower parts kit from Palmetto (when affordable), EoTec holographic, Magpul BUS

* 20191225_164449.jpg (5098.08 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 38 times.)

* Screenshot_20191228-135506.jpg (724.75 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 39 times.)
photog22740
^

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »

My AUG and AR15 are too much rifle for my wife (she's barely 5 feet tall).  Too long, too heavy, too much recoil (yes, I know it's only a .223).
She likes my PS90 due to all it brings to the battle.  With that said, I'm much faster getting multiple accurate shots on target(s) with the PS90 compared to my rifles... Making the PS90 my go to home defense gun.

So, with all the above, I figured maybe I'd  get her a braced 9mm pistol.  I'm assuming it would be lighter, shorter, and "possibly" have less recoil than a typical .223 (I realize some of the 9's have more recoil).

I've not fired any braced pistols yet, but was looking for some info on where to start my search.  I'm considering the Scorpion EVO 3 S1 or S2, the Stribog A3 (roller delayed), or on the really inexpensive end, the Extar EP9. All 3 are compact and relatives light weight.  I was hoping to keep it under a grand, but if there's something that fits the bill for a little more, I'd  go for it.  HK UMP I think it's only in .45.  SP5 is to expensive, as are the Zenith's.  MPX may be doable.

Any thoughts

Either another PS90 or a CZ Scorpion.  Both fit the role you describe very well in my opinion.  Extremely handy, low recoil, excellent reliability.  And, both are just plain cool!
Zolkalf

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »

I just picked up my Brigade AR9 last week. 9 inch barrel, I passed on the 5 inch and now my Glocks have a big brother. The LRBHO works great and when I get the Echo Trigger  it's going to be a blast as the bolt and the rest of the rifle are designed for binary.

For the wife I think any of these packages would work, just depends what she likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtfgvUnmj4A
 blasting

Disclaimer:
Brigade no longer offers the Echo Edition of the Pistol. I contacted them and they told me that was only for a limited time. However, I could  buy the trigger separate and drop it in with no modifications and it would be the same.

* Brigade AR9.jpg (527.96 KB, 1037x1383 - viewed 31 times.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:22:47 PM by RebellionOnIce » Logged

Zolkalf on PubG
Lonewolf McQuade

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »

I just picked up my Brigade AR9 last week. 9 inch barrel, I passed on the 5 inch and now my Glocks have a big brother. The LRBHO works great and when I get the Echo Trigger  it's going to be a blast as the bolt and the rest of the rifle are designed for binary.

For the wife I think any of these packages would work, just depends what she likes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtfgvUnmj4A
 blasting

Disclaimer:
Brigade no longer offers the Echo Edition of the Pistol. I contacted them and they told me that was only for a limited time. However, I could  buy the trigger separate and drop it in with no modifications and it would be the same.

Nice rig! What optic you got mounted on it?
Zolkalf

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »

Nice rig! What optic you got mounted on it?

Vortex UH-1 Gen 1

Zolkalf on PubG
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length