Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2020, 02:37:35 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Repairing a headlamp - what kind of adhesive should I use?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Repairing a headlamp - what kind of adhesive should I use?  (Read 575 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: June 17, 2020, 03:30:55 PM »

So I have a blackdiamond Storm (one of the original models) that I have used for years, and it's been great. So the battery door is accessed via the back, and the entire back plate hinges off the main body to expose the batteries inside. Well in order to open the case, you have a single screw that you rotate out of the back of the lamp. The female part (nut) that the screw screws into is a metal knurled cylinder embedded into the plastic within the main housing. Well that female end has popped out of the plastic housing, and I need to either glue it (or otherwise fix it in place) back into the plastic housing. What should I use to do it? I was thinking using blue locktite, or maybe red locktite. Or even super glue.

I have included two images. You see the main access hole for the screw on the backplate, and then the corresponding cavity for the female part in the orange plastic. I have also included an image of the female nut attached to the screw post separately so you know what I'm working with.

I've thought about replacing the headlamp, but why spend $40 on something when this one has always perfectly met my needs? Especially when all I need to do is secure one component?

Any ideas?
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »

Here

* 8825EC35-A2C7-459D-AE9B-C5EBC03C1785.png (407.45 KB, 640x1136 - viewed 23 times.)

* 074D4512-782D-4ABC-A329-292FF928DB4E.png (524.82 KB, 640x1136 - viewed 28 times.)
boscoman
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:00:13 PM »

JB Weld. Otherwise buy a new one.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »

I didn't feel like going through the effort of saving the headlamp, especially when a new one has better lumen output, so I went ahead and ordered the BlackDiamond Storm 400. Hoping it's good. Plus I can just use Duct tape if I want to keep the broken one as a backup. It works fine, it's just the closing latch that's broken. Planning on taking the new one backpacking early July.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:42:30 AM by Frostburg » Logged
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 01:17:49 PM »

a lot of the plastics they use nowadays have an oil base -- most glues won't work --- alternative -- duct tape it - make a Velcro strap -- use zip ties --- all cheap and easy to do
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »

a lot of the plastics they use nowadays have an oil base -- most glues won't work --- alternative -- duct tape it - make a Velcro strap -- use zip ties --- all cheap and easy to do

Aren't almost all plastics petroleum based?  The one's that don't like to stick to glues are typically polyethylene (very waxy) and polypropylene.  Nylons, ABS, styrene, etc. should be fix-able with different adhesives.  For putting the threaded/knurled brass barrel back in, I'd clean it off good with alcohol, blow out the place it's going to sit, and push it back in with JB Weld or some other epoxy.  That should hold it well enough. 

Or, as Frostburg said, just buy a new one if you don't mind spending some dosh and getting an upgrade for your money... 

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
www.techparentz.com - Learn, Share, Teach.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »

Yeah, I decided I'm just going to replace it. I'm just going to duct tape the hinge closed as a backup light. In order to fix it, I would have to epoxy the knurled female end in place, but also have it perfectly aligned so that the male end can thread into it. And given that the female end is situated in a fairly open cavity, I would have to set it in place perfectly to get it to align right. Maybe someone with more patience and time can do it, but for a $40 headlamp, I don't. Atleast not right now.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:45:17 PM »

My new one just arrived in the mail. It looks pretty nifty. Gonna try it out tomorrow.
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »

I would have to set it in place perfectly to get it to align right. Maybe someone with more patience and time can do it, but for a $40 headlamp, I don't. Atleast not right now.

Too late, I know, but the trick to that is to just screw the barrel onto it's mating part, then lay it in with the epoxy.   Wink

Glad you got your new one!  I hope it's a good'un!

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:44:33 PM »

I would have to set it in place perfectly to get it to align right. Maybe someone with more patience and time can do it, but for a $40 headlamp, I don't. Atleast not right now.

Too late, I know, but the trick to that is to just screw the barrel onto it's mating part, then lay it in with the epoxy.   Wink

Glad you got your new one!  I hope it's a good'un!

Oh I thought of that. The problem is the risk that the male end would get affixed to the female end due to the adhesive, and then I would need to carefully work it out, risking loosening up the female end. But it's not too late because I still have it.   Cheesy
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:24 AM »

Oh I thought of that. The problem is the risk that the male end would get affixed to the female end due to the adhesive, and then I would need to carefully work it out, risking loosening up the female end. But it's not too late because I still have it.   Cheesy

You could put wax on the screw, and use a thick epoxy like PC-7 or JB Weld.  That shouldn't cause you grief by getting into everything.  Enjoy!

Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 01:35:10 AM »

I might actually do this now. So my new headlamp seems only marginally brighter than my old gen version at best, even though it's like many many years newer and it has a listed 400 lumen max rating. My old one was like 100 or 150 tops. I'm perturbed, honestly. I'd rather just fix and stick with what I know and am familiar with. But at the very least, the new one does have a better designed battery compartment latch. And to be fair, I always knew the battery latch (screw) would be the one failure point on the old headlamp. Atleast it gave me many years before it finally broke. But it can still be fixed.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length