Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 02:38:51 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Magazines
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Magazines  (Read 2689 times)
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »

I'd contact Lancer first thing tomorrow about this.  I attended several NRA instructor classes with one of their sponsored shooters and that was a topic that came up when comparing them to Pmags.  His comment was that they shouldn't expand even when loaded to capacity and allowed to sit for months.  YMMV.  But either way, contact them and at the very least have them replace the mags.

Kurt
haaaake

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »

Yeah I don't really understand why people see metal feed lips as an advantage over a fully polymer Pmag. A pmag would have to have something crack to have any meaningful failure. The material they use doesn't every really lose it's form. You can put a pmag in boiling water and it will still retain it's shape. They are also extremely resilient to drops compared to metal mags.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 06:19:26 PM »

Pmags don't live up to the hype.  They're good, better than the USGI mags, but they aren't infallible.  There have been a lot of side by side tests where the Pmag doesn't come out looking that great.

Kurt
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 06:34:58 PM »

For what it's worth, I've left a note describing the issue with them, which I hope they're familar with.  Or maybe I hope they're not familiar with it and it's enough for replacement?  We'll see.
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reach out! Lancer L5 AWMs have built a long standing reputation in the industry as one of the most durable and reliable magazines on the market.

Our Steel feed lips attached in such a way, that you would most likely destroy the magazine before the lips come off. Do they physically feel like they are coming loose?

Any magazine that is dropped on a hard surface will usually dispense 1 or 2 rounds, this is common amongst any rifle magazine, especially those that are no longer fully loaded. When the magazine contacts a hard surface the ammo stack begins to depress inside the magazine body. As the ammo stack begins to return upward, the lack of pressure will sometimes permit a round or two to eject. This again is something common amongst rifle magazines when dropped on surfaces like cement.

In regards to rounds ejecting after inserting the magazine, this only takes place when the base of the magazine is struck on an open bolt. The same process occurs as before, but now inside the rifle. To ensure a proper lock-up every time, we recommend using a deliberate “push-pull” loading method taught by many of the world’s leading tactical firearms instructors including Gunsite Academy, Larry Vickers, Travis Haley, and many others. This method ensures that the magazine seats properly, positively engages the magazine catch, and does not spit rounds into the chamber as is common when slapping the bottom of the magazine.

Cool I guess.  I didn't think I was necessarily slapping the magazine in during drills, but I can try to work a deliberate push-pull into an open bolt from now on and see how it goes.
WIndstorm

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »

First time poster as I recently got my MDRx. The promag 40s work well with a little fitting. As with any promag magazines the quality control isn't 100%, and some of them do have weak springs. Once you test and fit though, they'll be as bulletproof as pmags. Definitely better than a drum to carry around!

edit: should specify this was the promag .308 40rd, no reason not to use pmags for 5.56
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:27:52 PM by WIndstorm » Logged
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »

PMAG 40s have been doing well for me on the MDR, even with +5 base pads added to them!

The Lancers have honestly just been sitting in the safe and not really getting as much use as I'd hoped...might trade them for some more PMAGs to be honest.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »

Oddly, after a years long fight with MSAR (before they went under for the final time), I got the XM-30 mags they owed me.  These are similar in look to AUG mags and are translucent amber in color.  So far, they're absolutely rock solid and give the MDRx an even more exotic look.  When David Fortier tested them about 10 years back (damn...has it really been that long?), he found that they scored very favorably against both the PMAG and Lancer.  I just hope that Sleepy Joe the Thief doesn't get in and have the NFA rejiggered to include high cap mags as he's threatened.  I really don't have $200 for each one...let alone a spare $200 for anything!

Kurt
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »

Those things must be like a time capsule of fun by now.  Would love to see a pic of them in the MDRX!
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2020, 08:04:49 PM »

I'll take a pic and post it tonight or tomorrow.

Kurt
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 07:32:07 PM »

As requested...this is my MDRx with suppressor handguard and OSS Gen 5 suppressor, MSAR XM-30 magazine, and optic/magnifier.

Kurt
Disgruntled Bpfcom User

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »

Oh geez.  You've got the OSS suppressor system on there too for maximum cool.

Pretty nice setup!  I think those mags look better on the FDE MDR than they would on a black one.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 08:40:23 PM »

Thanks!  When you pick it up, it's heavy, but once you have it balanced and on your shoulder, the "felt" weight seems to go way down. 

Kurt
Iceman2733

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reach out! Lancer L5 AWMs have built a long standing reputation in the industry as one of the most durable and reliable magazines on the market.

Our Steel feed lips attached in such a way, that you would most likely destroy the magazine before the lips come off. Do they physically feel like they are coming loose?

Any magazine that is dropped on a hard surface will usually dispense 1 or 2 rounds, this is common amongst any rifle magazine, especially those that are no longer fully loaded. When the magazine contacts a hard surface the ammo stack begins to depress inside the magazine body. As the ammo stack begins to return upward, the lack of pressure will sometimes permit a round or two to eject. This again is something common amongst rifle magazines when dropped on surfaces like cement.

In regards to rounds ejecting after inserting the magazine, this only takes place when the base of the magazine is struck on an open bolt. The same process occurs as before, but now inside the rifle. To ensure a proper lock-up every time, we recommend using a deliberate “push-pull” loading method taught by many of the world’s leading tactical firearms instructors including Gunsite Academy, Larry Vickers, Travis Haley, and many others. This method ensures that the magazine seats properly, positively engages the magazine catch, and does not spit rounds into the chamber as is common when slapping the bottom of the magazine.

Cool I guess.  I didn't think I was necessarily slapping the magazine in during drills, but I can try to work a deliberate push-pull into an open bolt from now on and see how it goes.

honestly this is a B/S response from them, I have used pmags and usgi for comp 3-gun and never had the issues you were discussing ever be a problem.  In all the time I can only think of a few times I have dropped a mag on the run and either kicked it while dropping or dropped on hard surface and 1-2 rounds would come out.  So they want you to train on slowing reloads and using push pull which is fine if you are saving the ammo in the mag however if you are empty while do you want to waste time pulling the mag out. It just sounds like some BS and giving off big names to make you feel like you are doing it wrong

Here is 2 links for Travis where he shows letting the mags fly out of the.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZuvHvlWpfo   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQOtfvQ6Tko
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length