Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2020, 06:37:44 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  9mm Versus 5.56 OAL Question
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 9mm Versus 5.56 OAL Question  (Read 174 times)
QB Too

« on: May 12, 2020, 10:19:08 PM »

The 9mm has a 17" barrel and OAL is listed as 26.125".  The 5.56 with a 16.5" barrel is also listed as OAL of 26.125".  What is different on the 9mm that makes it the same OAL yet it has a barrel that is .5 inch longer?  Something that is driving me crazy...LOL.

Also, is a factory 9mm exactly the same as converting the 5.56 to 9mm with the kit?
xdmikey

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:23:38 AM »

I would imagine the factory 9mm is the same as the one you did a barrel swap n yourself.

As far as your other question I have no idea but will enjoy the answer.
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:56:29 PM »

This is a guess, but I'll bet lunch I'm right...

The .223Win cartridge is about 1" longer than a 9mm.  Because of this, I'm betting the chamber for the 9mm barrel sits just a tad further back in the rifle. Barrel length is measured from the closed breech face to the muzzle (or the end of a pinned and welded muzzle device). So, if I'm right, the barrel length is longer, but because it sits further back, the OAL is the same.

Anyone want to take my bet?

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
QB Too

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:00:54 PM »

Not betting against you because I think you're absolutely correct.  WOW, thanks for your insight on this, I've  been wondering for some time.
DubageL

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:00:38 AM »

Yes, the “barrel length” is measured from the breach face bolt closed to the end of the threaded barrel muzzle face. The flash hider is not included unless it has been permanently affixed.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length