Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2020, 02:28:13 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  AUG Ergonomic Improvement Concepts Take 2 - Working Post
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: AUG Ergonomic Improvement Concepts Take 2 - Working Post  (Read 7316 times)
Corrigan

« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2020, 02:22:09 PM »

Wow. That was an excellent run down on the nuances of mold development. Seems like any company that would tackle and AUG update would have to go through a similar process, and I wonder how much incentive there is to do so.
I think whoever winds up developing this into a finalized product is going to have a somewhat easier time of it, because you're working backwards from a product that already is injection molded, plus now that this info is out there, it's fairly simple to say "Okay, here's things to keep in mind: *rattle off list of things from the video*".

Also, since you've got that aluminum internal bit for the recoil springs, I would suspect that would help simplify some the internal geometry of the stock and make it easier to mold.

Apparently they're pumping out test samples through these molds at around 60 seconds per set of halves, so even with the trade off of having a ton of material in the handgrip, it's still a quick process compared to machining.
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2020, 02:26:13 PM »

Yeah. My ears perked up when he talked about thermal expansion and contraction as the part cools, and welding the halves together with sacrificial material. I can draw the final stock no problem, but without experimenting with how those factors affect the design, Iíll have no idea where to add or take away material to facilitate final assembly to match the CAD drawing. Cool process though. Iím intrigued
mig1nc

« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »

Aaaaaaaand....version 3 of that design. Added a small tab extension at the 12 o'clock to rest your thumb on.

I love this design. If I were living my dream, I would say to license Kinetic Development Group's side-lock design so you could make it QD from the M-Lok slots on the Corvus rail.

I do agree with the poster about needing m-lok slots are 1 and 2 oclock. That's one of the most popular places to mount a light or switch.
mig1nc

« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2020, 08:49:35 AM »

Check out what the airsofters have come up with: https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_Cowlnj4l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Here's his facebook page, lots of great stuff being done: https://www.facebook.com/Rhesus-Custom-Airsoft-work-Youtuber-1816031022002484/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:56:01 AM by mig1nc » Logged
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »

So, based on industry feedback (or the lack thereof), continuation of the AUG concepts as far as creating a new stock is concerned seems like a labor in futility. Here's why:

Is it worth it? Based on feedback from several sources, manufacturers are hesitant to jump on this since the cost to produce the stock balanced against popularity of the AUG compared to it's competition isn't exactly motivating. Return on investment to put these bad boys into production is a huge risk on a weapon that has more of a Cult following in the US rather than mass utilization from a local, state or federal government/LE department. Bottom line, the stock would cost too much to make initially, with a slow return. Smaller companies whose sole income is from commercial sales can't afford the risk, and bigger companies that can afford the risk are not interested, or at least, they haven't responded to any inquiries.

Is the design accurate? Given that I've spent dozens of hours drawing this stock using a caliper to make assumptions on the internal dimensions needed to take parts, I know there are imperfections in the drawings that may or may not hinder use with existing AUG receivers.  I'm happy to continue drawing and working the design, but unless I can get test models 3d Printed at low cost, or get schematics from Steyr, any "final" design I try and pitch will have errors that industry will need to correct on the back end.

Are the other devices/accessories worth it? Yes. Absolutely. Most of the feedback and enthusiasm on these concepts have been for attachments and devices for the AUG. I have a few contacts that have expressed interest in these. They are easy to print, test and iterate to a final design. Way easier than an entire stock.

Going forward, Focus will be on accessories and fore-ends. The stock is tabled for now.

TEASER/SPOILER ALERT:

All that work wasn't for nothing though!!!!! I learned allot from all the research and manufacturing concepts that everyone has shared in the forum and in personal messages. The design aesthetics and positives learned from this project have directly transitioned over to a new project which is already lightyears ahead of the stock concept.

The basic concept is a Bullpup that takes as many AR parts possible. It's a new design similar to the concept shown on page 2 or three of this thread. I'm not going to share any more details at this time, but it is absolutely sick and checks all the boxes on what people generally complain or rave on about bullpups, to include the feedback from this project.
Corrigan

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2020, 07:01:37 PM »

The basic concept is a Bullpup that takes as many AR parts possible. It's a new design similar to the concept shown on page 2 or three of this thread. I'm not going to share any more details at this time, but it is absolutely sick and checks all the boxes on what people generally complain or rave on about bullpups, to include the feedback from this project.
Someone beat you to that already. They've got a working prototype and everything:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13670.0

That said, I am planning on getting a 3D printer in the near future as part of a small business venture (hopefully within the next month, but COVID has f***ed up a lot of stuff), so I can pitch in to help with keeping the stock going as a long term project.
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »

Eh. Kinda.

* BAR15 A1.JPG (91.14 KB, 1608x726 - viewed 18 times.)
Mr.Tucker

« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »

Very cool what he's put together! As always, industry enthusiasm to chase a new project is the big speed bump here. I just need to quit my current job (which I really love actually) and get into the industry.

VMA-542 did some fantastic work though. Very detailed CAD work AND a working prototype. Awesome.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:20:38 PM by Mr.Tucker » Logged
Clarke-Sensei

« Reply #208 on: Yesterday at 12:54:07 AM »

That looks pretty interesting, it'd be fun to have a 6.8 SPC bullpup.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length