Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 02:42:41 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Bolt gap
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bolt gap  (Read 133 times)
waterzap

« on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »

This has probably been asked before. Anyway....
With the Tavor, if you put in a new bolt, you have to send the rifle to the factory for fitment.
The AUG does not seem to have this requirement?
Is it safe to change bolts or barrels from one AUG to another? Or a new and old bolt / barrel? Mix and match?
Also, do the barrel lugs wear out if you take the barrel out too much?
Leonitus

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:06:39 AM »

Its best to always measure headspace. I believe Steyr states itís a requirement.  I have seen done swap barrels without checking. Personally, itís just a good idea and not that hard to do. I certainly would keep a bolt married to a barrel.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:09 AM »

I've done 4 bolt/barrel swaps on Tavors with "non-matched" bolts...all of them have come back with good headspace.

Tavor's service manual doesnt even state that it is required to check head space when changing bolts.

The requirement was made by IWI, from what I heard, after IDF found out that the American public wasn't required to send it in and they had to. Lawyers got together and made the requirement...I bet the other problem was that some people jacked up their rifles and IWI fixed them on their own dime...yes...if you don't possess mechanical knowledge...take it to IWI.

Riddle me this, we were able to DIY swap barrels and bolts no problem for the like two years...during those two years the Tavor was one of the best selling non-AR rifles in US selling over 60K+ units. Not once did we get a report of a kaboom or bad headspace...now think...you honestly believe that headspace changes so much that each Tavor rifle is "hand" picked for a matched bolt...IWI would literally have to custom build each barreled action...that is not happening I can assure you. As any good company, they do check headspace before shipping a rifle out to a customer...

Headspace is done at the factory when the barrels are mated to the extension...the extension is pinned by a massive pin that is hydraulically pressed in...there is no way to adjust headspace on the Tavor and IWI does not produce bolts with different dimensions...Just FYI if a Tavor owner reads this post.

On most modern semi auto rifles...headspace is not an issue and really cannot be adjusted.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length