Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 02:31:47 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Cleaning stubborn carbon from AUG gas plug - Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cleaning stubborn carbon from AUG gas plug - Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover  (Read 196 times)
Andygold

« on: March 11, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »

Just wanted to give a product endorsement.  My gas plug was blackened from use.  The piston looked almost as bad.   I tried to remove the discoloration and some stuck-on carbon in the groove surrounding the outside of the gas plug using a host of products (I'm a small bit of a chemical junkie, and have probably between 30 and 40 different cleaners, lubes, & protectants) but no luck.  Soaking, brushing, the careful use of a dental pick for the  groove, and plug still was blackened inside and on the outside surface where it fits into the piston tube.  I resigned myself to the fact that the gas plug was going to look "used" forever.

Someone suggested I try Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover.  I figured it was something to add to my chemical collection.  I soaked the plug in the C4 for about 10- 15 minutes, and the built up carbon inside and outside brushed right off, including the stuff stuck in the groove above the gas port holes in the plug.  A wipe with a paper towel brought the plug back to looking like factory new.

I queried Bore Tech as to how I was supposed to remove the C4 from the inner workings of the sliding parts of the plug since I cannot dissemble the plug parts.  Their response was that I could use either water, rubbing alcohol, or an evaporating degreaser to remove 100% of the Carbon Remover.  But, they said I didn't have to go crazy trying to remove it 100%.  They recommended I use compressed air to blow the stuff out from assemblies that cannot be taken apart.  As long as the bulk of the liquid is removed you can then lubricate the parts as normal and any small amount of C4 residue would be taken care of.  Again, the key is to just remove the bulk amount of cleaner so that it will not break down the oil you will use for lubrication.  This one is a keeper!

No, I have no affiliation with Bore Tech.  I'm just a happy customer, passing along some info to others.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:06:34 PM by Andygold » Logged
Faolan

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 04:26:35 PM »

Thanks for the tip
waterzap

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »

Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor Parts Cleaner works great too. But nothing plastic. No gaskets. No painted parts. Only metal. Piston will look like new.
Leonitus

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »

This stuff simply works.....

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-PM-3-Carburetor-Tune-Up/dp/B000NU6RG8
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length