Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 12:32:35 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  ACOG zeroing prob
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ACOG zeroing prob  (Read 592 times)
unorthodox

Oy!

« on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:41 PM »

So I slapped the taller rail on my SAR.  Then slapped the ACOG 4x32 on top of that.  Then slapped the RMR on top of the ACOG.  Then I started having issues.  Went to zero the ACOG and it was shooting almost over the targets.  After scores of clicks it is just barely heading down and I must be getting near the end of the range of adjustment.  And to rub salt in the wound, the RMR is dead-on! Ran out of daylight.  Has anyone had this issue who could lend some guidance?  Is it the taller rail causing it?  I've had several ACOGs and they are usually very near right from the factory for an AR style rifle. 
Thanks!
Unorthodox

the unorthodox
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »

Remember...height over bore...you are probably running into that...especially if you are zeroing less than 100 yards....

So if you are 25 to 50 yards...you probably won't be able to zero....

I ran into the kind of the same effect...except reversed with my AI bolt gun with 20 MOA rail....I wanted to zero at 50 but couldn't do jack...I forgot I had a 20 MOA rail....moved to 100....hit dime size target after a 10 rd zero..... Grin
unorthodox

Oy!

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »

Thanks for reminding me of that important lesson.  That is likely the problem.  Maybe those Israelis are onto something with the low rail and Meprolight M21 units. 

Not sure of my range but well under 100 yds.  First sunny day, I'll back out to at least that and try it from there. 
Thanks again.

Unorthodox

the unorthodox
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »

In order to help you properly we need some more info. First, we really need the yardage as precisely as you can measure it. A guess will not help at all. Guns like this are normally sighted in at either 100 or 50 yards. The BDC in your ACOG is calibrated for a 100 yard zero.

Second, we need to know how many clicks you've taken. I'm not being mean when I say that "scores of clicks" doesn't really tell us much. Some might think 10 clicks is a lot where another might think 20 isn't that much. When I mounted my current ACOG, it took 15 clicks down to get it zeroed.

Yes, height over bore is a factor, but shouldn't make it impossible to zero the gun. Even so, measuring the height over bore would help us help you.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
unorthodox

Oy!

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »

Remember...height over bore...you are probably running into that...especially if you are zeroing less than 100 yards....

So if you are 25 to 50 yards...you probably won't be able to zero....

Thehun, you nailed it.  I just got back from the farm and stretching it out to the 100 yd marker did the trick.  This unit makes six ACOGs that I own and it is the first one to take me more than a handful of rounds to zero.  The others are on MSR platforms mostly so I should have caught the issue.  I appreciate you saving me another pile of ammo. 

Be safe!

Unorthodox

the unorthodox
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »

No problem...glad I could help.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length