Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2020, 04:23:07 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  At what point do you think you would confidently buy one
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: At what point do you think you would confidently buy one  (Read 1400 times)
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 10:53:44 PM »

Given what Iíve read, I wouldnít trust it for my go to gun.  I really was hopeful and was initially on the GB but backed out.  Itís a shame as I really was optimistic before they hit the streets.  But, just too many issues for me to trust my life too.

The MDR of 2017 is not the same as it is today.  Pretty much every report on current guns shows that they run fine, are reliable, and accurate.  Do what makes you comfortable, but at least do it with current data, not data from two or three years ago.  Mine have been reliable except for one feeding issue (20th round out of rifle 2) which could have been ammo or mag related.

That said, given the fact that my MDR's each have a current replacement value (rifle, suppressor, and optics) of about $4k each, I'm not sure I'd use one as my "first grab" if the door was kicked in at 0'dark 30.  I'd probably use a cheapo AR that I built and have about $600 in...a lot less of a financial hit if the police confiscate it as "evidence".

Kurt
photog22740
^

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 11:20:01 PM »

Given what Iíve read, I wouldnít trust it for my go to gun.  I really was hopeful and was initially on the GB but backed out.  Itís a shame as I really was optimistic before they hit the streets.  But, just too many issues for me to trust my life too.

The MDR of 2017 is not the same as it is today.  Pretty much every report on current guns shows that they run fine, are reliable, and accurate.  Do what makes you comfortable, but at least do it with current data, not data from two or three years ago.  Mine have been reliable except for one feeding issue (20th round out of rifle 2) which could have been ammo or mag related.

That said, given the fact that my MDR's each have a current replacement value (rifle, suppressor, and optics) of about $4k each, I'm not sure I'd use one as my "first grab" if the door was kicked in at 0'dark 30.  I'd probably use a cheapo AR that I built and have about $600 in...a lot less of a financial hit if the police confiscate it as "evidence".

Certainly good points.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 03:41:14 AM »

If I ever trust DT or believe DT will actually do what they say I would not consider buying an MDR until 2021.
I sold my FS2000 to have cash on hand to buy an MDR but ended up with an RDB which has performed perfectly. For about 1/3 the price I have a bullpup that has done all I expect from a rifle. Actually not even sure I would buy an MDR at the current price point since it does nothing better than my RDB.
Desert Tech just totally failed, so far, with the MDR in my opinion.

^^ This.  The RDB is the best 5.56 bullpup, imo. Mine does everything one could ever hope for from a fighting rifle. It's lightweight, quick in my hands, best stock trigger on any 5.56 tactical rifle, easy controls, it's Kalashinikov simple to strip down and put back together, reliable. It's everything I ever dreamed of in a bullpup fighting rifle. I think SWAT teams should start fielding them. And I consider it to be on par with my Colt 6920, which also happens to runs like a clock. Keltec also offers an unlimited lifetime warranty for all original owners. All that, and they can be easily found for like $900 NIB. The RDB is the little underdog that is quietly winning the race, but noone notices because everyone is watching all the big names out there. I recommend it 100%
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:45:34 AM by Frostburg » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »

This is what I tell guys with $3000 Gucci CCW guns...
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »

If I ever trust DT or believe DT will actually do what they say I would not consider buying an MDR until 2021.
I sold my FS2000 to have cash on hand to buy an MDR but ended up with an RDB which has performed perfectly. For about 1/3 the price I have a bullpup that has done all I expect from a rifle. Actually not even sure I would buy an MDR at the current price point since it does nothing better than my RDB.

^^ This.  The RDB is the best 5.56 bullpup, imo. Mine does everything one could ever hope for from a fighting rifle. It's lightweight, quick in my hands, best stock trigger on any 5.56 tactical rifle, easy controls, it's Kalashinikov simple to strip down and put back together, reliable. It's everything I ever dreamed of in a bullpup fighting rifle. I think SWAT teams should start fielding them. And I consider it to be on par with my Colt 6920, which also happens to runs like a clock. Keltec also offers an unlimited lifetime warranty for all original owners. All that, and they can be easily found for like $900 NIB. The RDB is the little underdog that is quietly winning the race, but noone notices because everyone is watching all the big names out there. I recommend it 100%

Tavor SAR for me....RDB/AUG would be second choice...all of them have solid track records...so really...you can't go wrong...if one is on a budget...the RDB is a steal for what you get...my only reason I didn't pick the RDB for SHTF rifle is malfunction (if they happen)...it is a pain to figure out what is going on...with a Tavor...much easier...
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »

I had a lot of problems with my RDB.  Had three trips back to Kel Tec before it was gtg.  And it sends gas right up your nose suppressed cause it comes out of the ejection port and goes up.  Overall an OK rifle, but not amazing.

Doesn't hold a candle to the K&M M17s 5.56 which has a nicer trigger, is more accurate, has better ergos, and is less gassy suppressed.  RDB can weigh less in some configurations I'll give it that.
mig1nc

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

Tavor SAR for me....RDB/AUG would be second choice...all of them have solid track records...so really...you can't go wrong...if one is on a budget...the RDB is a steal for what you get...my only reason I didn't pick the RDB for SHTF rifle is malfunction (if they happen)...it is a pain to figure out what is going on...with a Tavor...much easier...

That's the only reason I didn't get an RDB.

Regardless of how reliable your gun is. Eventually you will get a bad round or a bad magazine. If you can't clear it immediately and get back into action it's a no go for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »

I never really had much in the way of malfunctions with my RDB, but when I could induce them, I never had any issues clearing them. Most of the time you just pull the charging handle back, and gravity assists in the clearing of any stoppages. There isn't much room up in the receiver where brass or debris could get stuck. It's pretty open in there. Anything stuck will just fall out once you pull the charging handle back. If you do need to, you can flip the rifle upside down and see into the chamber using the chamber window near the ejection port. Not only that, locking the bolt open requires just one hand because you can lock it back using the charging handle like an AUG or MP5.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »

Yeah...but truth be told...its much easier to just look in the action like you can on a AUG/TAVOR/AR type platform...makes things a lot easier...

Not bashing the RDB at all...I'd take one over a MDR any day...just stating why I didn't stick with it and kept the SAR around.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 08:00:49 PM »

I knew a guy at a club I belonged to who had a $3500 Wilson that was his "carry gun".  One day he had to use it and off to the evidence locker it went.  Took him almost six months to get it back...and it had been "well tested".   After that, he started carrying a Glock or M&P depending on his mood.

Kurt
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »

I knew a guy at a club I belonged to who had a $3500 Wilson that was his "carry gun".  One day he had to use it and off to the evidence locker it went.  Took him almost six months to get it back...and it had been "well tested".   After that, he started carrying a Glock or M&P depending on his mood.

Yup, don't carry your trophy gun.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 02:16:56 AM »

Yeah, I can't wait to be buy myself a handgun, in the future. I have zero familiarity with them, so I would have to learn from scratch. Unfortunately I can't own one where I live (technically I can, but my city makes the process extremely unappealing). So I will have to wait until I move.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »

Yeah, I can't wait to be buy myself a handgun, in the future. I have zero familiarity with them, so I would have to learn from scratch. Unfortunately I can't own one where I live (technically I can, but my city makes the process extremely unappealing). So I will have to wait until I move.

Wait what...your city won't allow you to have a handgun? Why aren't you guys protesting and suing the crap out of the city?
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »

I think he lives in DC where even the hoops have hoops to jump through.

Kurt
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 02:45:39 AM »

Yeah, I live in North West D.C. So I really can't have any guns here without jumping through a bunch of hoops and registration. You need to provide the addresses and dates of residence of every place you lived and worked in the past 5 years, names of employers, pay lots of fees, pass a few tests, go through multiple registration processes, etc. Funnily enough, D.C. is the first place I've lived where I've felt that owning a firearm might actually have some necessity outside of hunting. If I could get away with moving to Northern Virginia and still live my current lifestyle, I would. But having a 7 minute commute to work is awesome. I'm never late. And there are beautiful women everywhere.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »

Well I won't buy the Gen 2 MDRX/SE. It still needs a redesign of the lower.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 07:52:05 PM »

Redesign in what way?

Kurt
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »

Redesign in what way?

• The pistol grip mount should be compatible with the AR aftermarket.
  • The trigger guard is too thick messing up the ergonomics of the pistol grip. (I have larger than average hands and the trigger guard digs into my middle finger because the trigger guard is essentially two fingers thick.)
  • The safety retention sucks.
  • The mag release system sucks. It is double camming, has lots of slop and flex; this is why it's so damn stiff.
  • Reported issues with pin retention.
  • Larger trigger mag release (read release), though this could be solved by the aftermarket.

I do like the following:
  • Mag block/caliber conversion
  • Bolt catch/release
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 07:59:27 PM »

Most of these are perception issues, subjective rather than objective.  The pins could be a design issue, but the rest is more subjective opinion rather than objective need.

Kurt
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »

None of those are "subjective."  Those are all 100% objective ergonomic and in some cases reliability improvements that could be made to the lower. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length