Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2019, 11:32:43 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Reloading for AUG's
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Reloading for AUG's  (Read 495 times)
Forestrover
New Posting Member

« on: December 01, 2019, 06:54:13 PM »

Good evening from the UK.  I have recently purchased a straight pull man' op'  AUG with 20 " barrel.  (All we are allowed over here.)  & am looking to reload for it to improve accuracy.  I am initially looking to work up a Deer suitable load for smaller UK Spp. and also a load suitable for Fox.  Legal requirements for deer use Are 1000 ft/lbs and min of 50 grain. bullets which must be designed to expand.
  My current 223 is 1:12 twist  22" barrel and likes 55 V max giving me a sub MOA group easily.  I understand that the AUG (especially the trigger pull weight) is not designed for the same accuracy as a bolt gun but have already found a 55gr FMJ which grouped just over an inch  so it is attainable.  I am planning on 65 grain Sierra Game king to provide my  Deer Load   but am open to suggestions on a suitable fox /varmint load.
My question is as follows:  Having run a Hornaday OAL gauge with all my current suggested bullets into the AUG chamber I have the capacity to seat a lot longer than SAMMI spec's. ( My Barrel [20" 1:9 twist] is stamped 223 Rem, not 5.56x45 NATO but the readings suggest that it has a long throat capable of accepting heavier bullets.  To increase accuracy it is suggested to seat out closer to the rifling to reduce/ minimise jump.  Looking at the available length this would make most loads non cyclable through  the magazine.  E.G.  65 Gameking  provides me with a reading of 2.426" oal - even taking a few thou off this still gives me a considerably longer round than SAMMI spec.  Would a longer non lead   (either Barnes or Honaday 70 grain TTSX or GMX) provide the answer.  What are peoples thoughts / suggestions.
ttarp

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »

I'm afraid all I can offer is a welcome, and congrats on the AUG(pictures are always welcome too).
Forestrover
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »

Planning on taking some standard length reloads out for chrono/ group testing this weekend will get some pics then.  It is standard Black 20" now Gas port off the barrel .with 10 &32 rnd mags.

Only modifications so far are 3-18x50 /34mm tubed scope and a Trigger Tamer,  Wildcat moderator & Corvus Defensio fore grip replacement M-lok rail. with additional Piccatinney mounts for bipod and IR torch etc.  Still looking at swopping over to Lefty bolt and trying to obtain a  lighter trigger somehow.  I am used to my Austrian built bolt rifles which have good triggers  that are easily adjustable.  The AUG when I first got it was over 12LB! Much better with a Trigger Tamer in place dropping it to around 8LB but a bit lighter would improve things further.  I have looked at trying to obtain a Neu trigger but your export laws seem awkward . 

(We can buy Mags, accessories, etc. easily it is only pressure bearing parts e.g. bolt, receiver / extra barrel &  Moderators that are treated as items that require an open slot on your Firearm Certificate.  It strikes me that a bit of polished bent metal is not particularly dangerous or likely to cause any additional problem.
LazyEngineer

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »

For 1000 Ft/lbs (at the muzzle), essentially any .223 loading will exceed that in a 20" BBL, or even a 16" BBL.  

For deer hunting, I would imagine you'd want something heavy for good penetration and expansion, so something in the 62 to 69 gr weight range should work best in your 1/9.  Mk 318 Mod 1 would probably work, but there are many great choices.  I would avoid varmint bullets though, as those I think are designed to expand faster than may be ideal for larger game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:04:30 PM by LazyEngineer » Logged
Faolan

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »

+1 on mk318. Great penetration. Only round Iíve tested so far though.
Forestrover
New Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 06:59:39 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I had come to the same conclusion regarding bullet weights  and a heavier construction (thicker copper shell to reduce expansion speed.)  Hence Game kings.  Nosler Partition in .224" is only 60 grain, so not as heavy.
Is anyone able to provide further thoughts on seating depth and chamber throat to rifling?   I realise that most of you will not be looking for the same use as myself but some must use their AUGs in wooded country. ( it is great in thicker wooded undergrowth as it is so compact and maneuverable (compared with a 22" bolt rifle & moderator.)
sboone

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 12:50:07 AM »

Havent loaded em up yet but I have 62 grain speer gold dots i wanna try.  Probably over varget since thats the only powder I have currently besides H4350 and Reloder 16.  I usually only do 6.5 creedmoor but need to get a good 556 load developed
LazyEngineer

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 01:27:27 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I had come to the same conclusion regarding bullet weights  and a heavier construction (thicker copper shell to reduce expansion speed.)  Hence Game kings.  Nosler Partition in .224" is only 60 grain, so not as heavy.
Is anyone able to provide further thoughts on seating depth and chamber throat to rifling?   I realise that most of you will not be looking for the same use as myself but some must use their AUGs in wooded country. ( it is great in thicker wooded undergrowth as it is so compact and maneuverable (compared with a 22" bolt rifle & moderator.)

For seating reloading: in my experience AUG runs a very large chamber.  My chamber is so large it's outside of SAAMI .223 dimensions even, but is within 5.56 military dimensions.  This is probably by design so that the AUG runs reliable; though be aware that your brass is going to stretch and head-separate a lot faster if you keep resizing it down to .223 dimensions.  If you just resize it enough to fit in the AUG (i.e. run the headspace quite long), then you're brass life should be good.

And on the same note, the throat is going to be pretty loose too.  So I'd run seating depth out to the maximum length that will still fit reliably in in the magazine.  On all my ammo, even 55 gr FMJ with cannular, I run everything .223 at 2.250" now; as that's the max OAL that will fit in most AR mags.  I think AUG's mags might allow longer - but since I have both, I run my ammo compatible for both.
tsh77769

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Hello from Alaska and welcome to the forum.

I don't have anything to add to the above.

I'd like to PM you a question about the manual AUG and magazines if that might be ok>

Tsh77769
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length