Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2019, 04:15:11 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  K&M Arms M17S 5.56 and .308
| | |-+  Custom Aftermarket Barrels Now Available!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Custom Aftermarket Barrels Now Available!  (Read 306 times)
Tinglyfeet9

« on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »

Quick heads up for anyone interested in an aftermarket barrel for their K&M M17s.  Fink's Custom Gunsmithing in AZ: https://www.finksguns.com/ can spin one up for you.  Either you provide the barrel blank and parts purchased separately from K&M (just the barrel extension and gas block really) or you can have Fink's order them in for you.  Wait time is 6-8 weeks after they have the parts in hand usually.  You can send your rifle in to have the barrel fitted (necessary if you are doing a new cartridge or barrel length) or just have them send you the barrel and swap it out yourself which is pretty easy.  They are also partnered with a proper nitride outfit so they can nitride anything.

I have one from them which you can read more about in the other thread but the TL;DR is that is it a big accuracy upgrade over stock and working with Fink's was a pleasure.
Leadlobber

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 12:30:43 AM »

Okay - I have an M17s 308 and would like an improvement
In accuracy and velocity.  How much for an 18 inch
barrel installed. Nitrided of course.
ttarp

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 07:41:07 AM »

Cool, good to see a bit of an aftermarket start forming.  Thanks for spearheading this.
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »

So the extensions+gas block and related parts/pins from K&M is around $200.

The blank is whatever you want to pay for a blank.  I got a Rock Creek cut rifled 5R gain-twist for around $215.  But you can go ham and get a Bartlein blank for around $320, or get a Criterion blank for significantly less.

Then you have labor which is by the hour, shouldn't be much more than a few hours to get it done.  They told me it will be pretty cheap since they are all set up to do them now.

Then optionally you  have nitriding which is another $120 or so and a little additional labor for that.

So really it can be as cheap as around $400 or as expensive as around $900 depending on the blank you get and how you get it finished.

So really close to what it costs to get a quality AR10 barrel from someone like Craddock Precision.

Leadlobber

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 06:19:11 PM »

Another thing Iíd like is an AR style safety
Iím having trouble with the cross bolt safety. 
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »

Yeah I have large-ish hands and the safety is just within reach for me.  Easy to take off, harder to put back on.  Not an issue for me, but I agree it could be for others and an AR style would be better.  However, I do not believe there is space in the design unless it was a very small safety.  Would require a bit of a redesign of the grip/trigger guard area as far as I can see.

Also, forgot to mention on the barrels most smiths should be able to do this as the project isn't that difficult, Finks is just already set up so it will probably be a lot cheaper through them.
Leadlobber

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »

Thank you for the barrel data.  The trouble I have with the safety is
my trigger hand thumb looks for it - canít find it - then I remember
I need to use my support hand thumb. Very awkward. 
Leadlobber

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »

I watched Kenís video on removing barrel.  Looks very simple.
Iíve not removed my barrel yet - question is the diameter of the
gas block a standard .750? 
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:18:02 PM »

Not 100% sure.  Ken will send you the drawings if you want them.  It isn't a standard gas block, that is for sure.  But the journal may be.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length