Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2019, 03:51:11 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Mechanical limitations of the AUG NATO?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mechanical limitations of the AUG NATO?  (Read 648 times)
mig1nc

« on: October 21, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »

Hi team. I was wondering, I have over the years seen occasional reference to the AUG NATO being mechanically inferior to the AUG Austrian mag version.

Can anybody explain that to me?
mpd3285
^

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »

To each his own on that debate. The NATO stock only uses a single point of contact of the trigger bar to the hammer pack/sear.  I don't think its inferior. While it lacks the bolt release button, it adds a side mag release button to the standard mag release.  NATOs are also not switchable to left side eject, but that value is debatable (except with lefties). I would say the variety and abundance of AR mags available make the NATO stock a valuable part of any AUG owners accessory gear.

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
mig1nc

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:26:47 PM »

To each his own on that debate. The NATO stock only uses a single point of contact of the trigger bar to the hammer pack/sear.  I don't think its inferior. While it lacks the bolt release button, it adds a side mag release button to the standard mag release.  NATOs are also not switchable to left side eject, but that value is debatable (except with lefties). I would say the variety and abundance of AR mags available make the NATO stock a valuable part of any AUG owners accessory gear.
Thanks, man. I appreciate the explanation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JK919

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »

Supposedly a NATO stock with a bolt release is in the works, but nothing on the market yet.
mig1nc

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:57:13 PM »

Supposedly a NATO stock with a bolt release is in the works, but nothing on the market yet.
Yeah, I've called Steyr twice. The fist time this summer they said they were hoping for the fall, but couldn't make a commitment. The second time they were hoping for early next year.

The guy basically said they were at the mercy of the Austrian side of the house.

I do have to believe that there is a difference of the feel in a single vs dual trigger bar configuration. Even if reliability isn't impacted.

tsh77769

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »

I own and run both the standard stock and the NATO stock as I have more tan one AUG and one of them is pre-86 NFA and FA stocks are currently only available for regular mags.

I can tell you with a high degree of certitude that the alleged difference in the trigger is just that, alleged. The lack of a left hand ejection port is certainly an issue if you are left handed. Do be ware that the Corvus Defensio brass deflectors are different between the standard stock and the NATO stock. The side mag release button of the NATO is nice but far from earth shattering. Interestingly on the AXR TPD rifles they made the side mag release button larger and cone shaped and I do like it.

As a previous reply mentioned Steyr may be working on an improved NATO stock.

Until then, one solution that works well is to use an MSAR E4 stock (and MSAR pack) on the AUG. Seriously, it works great! I wrote a post on these forums about it.

tsh77769
JK919

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »

Yeah, I've called Steyr twice. The fist time this summer they said they were hoping for the fall, but couldn't make a commitment. The second time they were hoping for early next year.

The guy basically said they were at the mercy of the Austrian side of the house.

I do have to believe that there is a difference of the feel in a single vs dual trigger bar configuration. Even if reliability isn't impacted.

Good to know that they’re trying at least. I’m upgrading mine the second it releases.
steelrain82
New Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »

Until then, one solution that works well is to use an MSAR E4 stock (and MSAR pack) on the AUG. Seriously, it works great! I wrote a post on these forums about it.

tsh77769

Will the MSAR E4 stock work on an A3M1?
tsh77769

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »

I'm sure it will as the part of the receiver that interfaces with the stock is still the same.

tsh77769
7n6

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »

I own both sets of stocks for my rifles. I don't honestly know which ones I like more. I guess being stateside, I'd rather have a NATO stock since everyone and their mouth breathing brother has an AR but other than that- I guess the standard is fine.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length