Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 05:01:45 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Tactical Flashlight Review
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tactical Flashlight Review  (Read 248 times)
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: October 14, 2019, 03:23:38 AM »

I recently acquired a Fenix PD35TAC LED Tactical Flashlight, and wanted to give you all my thoughts on it.  I'm a big fan of EDC, and cycle through a variety of quality blades regularly.  I've had a small flashlight on my keychain for years, but it's a pretty pathetic little thing, and I wanted a better light that was small enough to carry, but put out a good amount of light.  Along came the PD35 Tactical Edition, and I said, "Sign me up!"

First, this thing is bright.  REALLY bright!  Even though I had read that it's a 1000 lumens light, and thought I was prepared for it, I was still surprised at how such a small package could deliver such a large amount of light.  It uses a single CREE XP-L LED, powered by two CR123A non-rechargeable lithium batteries, and is just begging to be mounted to my ZK-22, or crossed over my wrist like a LEO clearing a darkened building.

That brightness comes at a cost, which is heat.  The anodized aluminum body transmits heat rapidly, and that CREE LED gets noticeably warm.  This being my first experience with this type of LED light, I was surprised at how warm it got after being on a few minutes.  I used my non-contact IR temperature gun and ran a quick test, taking the temperature just forward of the side switch.  Here are my results:
77F   (ambient/start)
93F   (1 minute)
97F   (2 minutes)
103F (3 minutes)
106F (4 minutes)
110F (5 minutes)

I'm guessing that this is not alarming, since I've seen other LED light sources with heat sinks built into them, but it was a surprise to me, since I thought that LEDs were supposed to be so much cooler than traditional incandescent bulbs.

As to color, to paraphrase Henry Ford, "You can have it in any color you like, as long as you like black."  It's a tactical flashlight.  Is there any other color it could be?  The black anodizing is has a semi-gloss finish, and a nice grippy, textured body.  It comes with a ballpoint pen-style pocket clip, but also has a nice sheath with a velcro cover and a belt loop that will easily accommodate a 2" wide belt.

It has several modes (tactical and outdoor with adjustable light levels and putting it in the outdoor mode engages the side switch versus just the tail-switch), a strobe feature, and an IPX-8 waterproof rating.  Mine will most likely always stay in tactical mode, since I don't camp very often, but the outdoor mode could certainly come in handy if and when I do eventually camp again.  If I ever come across a bear in the woods, the strobe feature may be enough to scare him off.

The only thing I think that this flashlight is missing is an adjustable beam diameter.  It's fixed at flood, and it would be nice to really dial it in to a narrow-spot from time to time.  All in all, though, it's a great little powerhouse of a light!

If you want to give this light a look, here's a link to it:  https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35tac-led-flashlight-tactical-edition/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:30:08 PM by Plinker » Logged

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
techparentz.com - Learn, Share, Teach.
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »

with winter coming - I should buy 2 - one for each pocket  Grin
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 02:23:25 AM »

with winter coming - I should buy 2 - one for each pocket  Grin

Haha!  Definitely a good hand warmer!  And with the light this thing throws, wear sunscreen!   Grin

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
techparentz.com - Learn, Share, Teach.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length