Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 12:42:22 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Shotguns
| |-+  Panzer Arms BP-12
| | |-+  ATTN PW Arms: Mag release and drop free.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ATTN PW Arms: Mag release and drop free.  (Read 96 times)
flock
New Posting Member

« on: October 05, 2019, 06:43:21 PM »

Former owner here.

The Panzer BP12 is extremely reliable and the balance and maneuverability are fantastic. In the context of 3 gun competition, where speed matters, it has some serious ergonomic flaws.

1) The mag release is behind and above the magwell. Therefore the hand holding the weapon up during reloads can't do anything besides that, hold the gun.

2) Meanwhile, mags don't drop free. So one hand must do everything for each reload while the other hand stabilizes the gun:

- depress the release while yanking the mag free
 - ditch the empty
 - fetch a loaded one
 - insert
 - drop the bolt
- then get back to ready

All these things can be done with either hand, but it's all single stream, no parallel processing.

I would rather
 - simultaneously depress/drop free/fetch next mag
 - insert
- drop bolt
- return to ready

So even though it's nose heavy and more than 10" longer, I have moved over the Typhoon F12 Sport. Same mags, so no changes to the belt/rig, and I don't have to buy additional magazines. Most importantly, mags drop free, and the grip hand can depress the mag release with the index finger.

It may be possible to modify the mag follower by swapping in a softer spring in the bolt hold open tab. In fact, the mod worked for the vr80, but in my Panzer the softer spring made the bolt not hold open. I am certain that the right spring would do the job.

But the mag release should be moved to the index finger of the grip hand. This is non trivial since it's a bullpup, but think first Tavor to Tavor X95.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:46:17 PM by flock » Logged
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »

I fired 40 rounds through mine the other day and not a single FTF FTE.  Shot slugs, reduced recoil fragment slugs, OO and reduced recoil OO.  Mag release was a problem at first but no fault of the gun, more as just not used to it.  By the time I got around to the last 2 mags, I had no problem.  I had no problems with mad release or inserting the mAGS as some have stated on other forums.  I'll be getting rid of my other shotguns
flock
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »

Agree 100% with the reliability you describe, and the mag release works as designed.

It just isn't the design that's ideal for me in 3gun.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length