Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 10:14:27 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  A Tale of Two Companies (IWI and Desert Tech)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Tale of Two Companies (IWI and Desert Tech)  (Read 529 times)
Landroverman
^

« on: September 11, 2019, 12:38:10 AM »

Returned from Gunsite and called IWI today to arrange to return my new Tavor 7 for a minor repair. The call went promptly to a knowledgeable person, who had an RMA number and shipping label for me in less than 10 minutes. I then called Desert Tech to send the MDR back for upgrades and a minor fix. No one would answer the phone in the warranty department and messages left and emails sent have never been acknowledged or answered. If you are trying to decide which of these two $2,000+ guns to buy consider service after the sale (or the complete lack of it) when you make a decision.
KMcPheron

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:59:09 AM »

Honestly, with the stuff stirring around DT the past few days, I'd hold off on sending any MDR's out to them. Even if it's just the building being seized and DT's still functioning, I'd rather not have the chance of $2k getting lost in translation somewhere.

Though, it is good to hear IWI's service is quality.
AF Gunner

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »

After reading some fairly positive posts last week I though it was about time to try to reach DT warranty by a warranty email. Here is the email I sent.

9/4/2019
"
DT Warranty,

What would it take to get the updated hand guard with the cut out for the gas block. I'm getting ready to send my bolt and barrel off to Carolina's First Defense for the 2019 gas block and the extractor upgrade and they said they can't get me the hand guard.
"

I had talked to the owner of Carolina's First Defense and was going to send them my barrel and bolt for the extractor and gas block upgrade. But I had to pay for round trip shipping and had no idea what to insure my parts for. Also if they did get lost in shipping I figured I would be screwed. So after further talking to Megan I decided to send them the whole gun. Mostly because they want to go through the whole rifle and check for any other issues. This was decided on 9/5/19 just one day after contacting warranty. I was pleasantly surprised on how fast I got a response. It did not go this smoothly last year when I returned it for accuracy issues. Not even close.

So on 9/5/19 I was set to go and just needed my shipper and RMA# and then I was ghosted by Megan. No response to daily emails on my shipper request. This is almost identical to what happened to me last time I returned my rifle. So I don't know if it has anything to do with their current legal issues because the exact same thing happened last year.

* Email screen shot.PNG (79.41 KB, 939x817 - viewed 45 times.)
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »

Landroverman you should really go for the trifecta and get the K&M M17s 308 as well to compare to the others.  I can attest that A.) you won't have to send it back in and B.) if you ever did Ken's CS is amazing.
Landroverman
^

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »

Does K&M have a finished product to buy? I went to the companyís website and all that I found was a ďtaking ordersĒ option.
Landroverman
^

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:05 PM »

Honestly, with the stuff stirring around DT the past few days, I'd hold off on sending any MDR's out to them. Even if it's just the building being seized and DT's still functioning, I'd rather not have the chance of $2k getting lost in translation somewhere.

This is excellent advice. If DTís is close to bankruptcy and its creditors move in to seize the companyís assets then whatever is physically present in their facilities may possibly be tied up for some time. I once had a boat in a marina in New Jersey that was forceably taken over by its creditors. In addition to the companyís inventory they tried to seize all of the boats on the premises, most of which, like mine, merely rented slips there or were in winter storage. (Several of us descended on the place at night and quietly moved our boats elsewhere.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:06:22 PM by Landroverman » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »

For clarification.

We donít know DTs financial position. The only thing we know is that Jacob Kingston forfeited DTís building in a plea deal to the feds. The feds did ask DT for their financials...but that is it. I donít think itís fair to say they are close to bankruptcy as we just donít know.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:18:48 PM by thehun » Logged
kfeltenberger
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:41:49 PM »

Folks,

I think we're getting out in fantasy land with the comments about DT's financial situation and what the Feds might/might not do.  You might not like some of the people involved, but there are a lot of good people at DT who are trying to do right and do a good job...each one of these unfounded (and rather unlikely) speculations impacts them as well.

If you have proof, post it.  So far all that's out there is speculation and opinion.  The only bit that's been acknowledged is that the building where DT does business might be under forfeit, but even that seems to be in question based on someone's comments "from the inside".

Kurt
INV136
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »

OK, so I haven't been paying attention, but, what are these so-called allegations? What federal law violations are being alleged, by the US Attorney's Office for the District of Utah? Have they indicted anyone from DT or is all of this just "rumors?" Inquiring minds want to know, especially since someone here has made the claim that these are facts.

ETA: I ran a Google search and came up with an article about a so-called whistle blower and a small mention (with no details) about a federal raid. All of this is related to an energy company that the whistle blower claims committed all kinds of financial fraud against the U.S. Again, no specifics mentioned in the article and no indictments. Just a lot of speculation. 
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:19:23 PM »

OK, so I haven't been paying attention, but, what are these so-called allegations? What federal law violations are being alleged, by the US Attorney's Office for the District of Utah? Have they indicted anyone from DT or is all of this just "rumors?" Inquiring minds want to know, especially since someone here has made the claim that these are facts.

ETA: I ran a Google search and came up with an article about a so-called whistle blower and a small mention (with no details) about a federal raid. All of this is related to an energy company that the whistle blower claims committed all kinds of financial fraud against the U.S. Again, no specifics mentioned in the article and no indictments. Just a lot of speculation. 

Yes. Jacob Kingston and another Kingston has entered a plea deal with the feds. Within that plea deal DTís building is listed as one being forfeited. Court will end mid to late October (supposedly). Jacob and the other Kingston tried to strike a deal with Turkey because they are a non extradition country.

Again, this has to do with the building that DT is in...not particularly about their financial position or status.

You can see the official plea agreement online. 
Landroverman
^

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »

An event like this certainly doesnít inspire confidence in the Kingston clan. Letís hope that it is unrelated to DTís operations.
whiskey91lima

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 11:57:39 PM »

An event like this certainly doesnít inspire confidence in the Kingston clan. Letís hope that it is unrelated to DTís operations.

This is the bottom line for us as the consumers.
Tinglyfeet9

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »

Yes, the K&M M17 308 has been shipping since 2017.  Here is the live order page: https://www.kmarms.com/order.html  They are made to order and take about 9 weeks when I waited on mine.  Well worth the wait IMHO, your comparison would be invaluable Wink.
Landroverman
^

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:04:11 AM »

Thanks for the info. I will check out this system.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length