Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 04:05:26 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  .308 Battle Rifle Trials by InRange Part 4 - 1-5 Drill Modified
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: .308 Battle Rifle Trials by InRange Part 4 - 1-5 Drill Modified  (Read 871 times)
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: August 30, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FeXl8GM9LA

G3: 8 out of 8
M1A: 7 out of 8
FAL: 6 out of 8
MDR: 5 out of 8
XCR-M: 4 out of 8
SCAR: 3 out of 8
Mk10: 2 out of 8
BRN10: 1 out of 8

I let you guys listen to their comments about the .308 MDR so that I don't get labelled again as "toxic"...

I don't believe...the MDR has beat any of the "inferior" rifles it set out to conquer...

Wish they would have waited a couple of weeks and include the T7 for a comparo....
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »

Quote from: thehun link=topic=14086.msg150076#msg150076
Wish they would have waited a couple of weeks and include the T7 for a comparo....

I wish that a YouTuber would design several standardized stages to test rifles on. Practice them as many times as they need to get the best time possible for a given gear setup. Then rank rifles/gear against each other.

Basically, something like Top Gear set up with the test race track and the stig. You would need a high end shooter who is experienced in military combat and competition. Stages would be short field courses that could test different aspects of weapons deployment.

This type of approach, well documented could help test equipment. If the stages were published, people could rebuild them and test on their own.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »

This actually has crossed my mind...one of the biggest issues is ammo costs right up front for an unknown YT person...
ttarp

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »

I'm not surprised the G3 is last, but I'm truly shocked how poorly they ran it.  Maybe they haven't had nearly as much time with the rifles as I had thought.

Also would have figured the XCR to place higher.
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »

This actually has crossed my mind...one of the biggest issues is ammo costs right up front for an unknown YT person...

YTs like Garandthumb seem to shoot a lot of ammo for T&E
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »

True..and they get free ammo...I wanted to actually try and do that...
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »

True..and they get free ammo...I wanted to actually try and do that...

There is definitely room to start a channel but it would be a lot of work and require a lot of fronting the cost before companies send rifles and ammo for testing. But it could be done.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:19:55 PM »

I've also tossed the idea of creating an independent small arms testing facility...but again...requires $$$$$$
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:48:26 PM »

What is important to note about InRange's videos is that the MDR consistently placed between older rifles and what we would consider modern rifles (AR10, SCAR, etc).

Is the MDR better than a SCAR as a battle rifle?

No

Is the MDR better than a modernized AR10 as a battle rifle?

No

Is the MDR better than a M1A as a battle rifle?

Yes

Is the MDR more accurate than any of the above?

Untested

Is the MDR better than 1980's battle rifles (G3, FAL) as a battle rifle?

Yes (if yours is reliable)

Is the MDR a softer shooter than other battle rifles?

No.

Is the MDR the best battle rifle on the market?

Definitely No

Is the Tavor 7 as good or better than the MDR?

Unfortunately, untested.

Is the MDR the most accurate battle rifle?

Untested. See elsewhere

Is the MDR the most reliable battle rifle?

Untested. See elsewhere

Are bullpups better than AR pattern rifles?

Undetermined. The average shooter is familiar with AR pattern rifles. Without sufficient training, the average shooter WILL shoot AR pattern rifles better.

kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »

One comment that I one of the three made seems to have changed from the start of the exercise to now.  In the beginning, they said that the shooters weren't exceptionally experienced with the AR and this video they said they were all accomplished and experienced AR shooters (or something to that effect).  Also, if you look at the raw times that they've posted, even those that weren't at the top were only a few seconds out.  IMO, with training on the specific rifles, I think those times would tighten up.

Kurt
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »

One comment that I one of the three made seems to have changed from the start of the exercise to now.  In the beginning, they said that the shooters weren't exceptionally experienced with the AR and this video they said they were all accomplished and experienced AR shooters (or something to that effect).  Also, if you look at the raw times that they've posted, even those that weren't at the top were only a few seconds out.  IMO, with training on the specific rifles, I think those times would tighten up.

I also think that they should have also included the T7 and M17S and made more diverse stages. All of the their stages were QCB and basic bill drills. Something like their 2GAM would give more interesting data.
ddavis

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »

I've never shot an MDR, but I believe the K&M would suffer from the same ergonomic issues as the MDR but with possibly worse recoil.  The insanely long LOP makes the gun pull sideways under recoil and I'm 6'1".  Some of those shooters would find it more difficult. 
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 06:27:50 AM »

I agree with you on this one. Seems like AR style muscle memory played major role here. The times in the top 5 were very close to each other. Training and trigger time on the specific platforms would produce different results.
semper paratus
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »

deleted comment
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:50:41 PM by semper paratus » Logged
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 10:13:04 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FeXl8GM9LA

G3: 8 out of 8
M1A: 7 out of 8
FAL: 6 out of 8
MDR: 5 out of 8
XCR-M: 4 out of 8
SCAR: 3 out of 8
Mk10: 2 out of 8
BRN10: 1 out of 8

I let you guys listen to their comments about the .308 MDR so that I don't get labelled again as "toxic"...

I don't believe...the MDR has beat any of the "inferior" rifles it set out to conquer...

Would like to see them take it out to expected military qualifications ranges too for “battle rifle” testing (300-400 meters). And what no AK platform in the mix?

And for the test protocol mentioned above
Would love to see a standard mill spec (FN/Colt) AR carbine as the base line for other platforms.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »

This is regarding .308...not 5.56 rifles...or 7.62x39...
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 03:32:40 AM »

The Galil ACE has a 308 variant.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »

The Galil ACE has a 308 variant.

It is a sweet shooter
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length