Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 05:56:35 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Mine Shipped
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Mine Shipped  (Read 2820 times)
Kublah

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »

My T7 will be strictly a ball round battle rifle...I don't care much to spend match ammo on a rifle that will never be used for outright accuracy...don't see the point personally...but I am planning on doing 5 shot group tests with M80 ball after my vacation...

After years of comments on the MDR, the irony of you saying this is amazing.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »

I never once said MDR needs to be a MOA or match shooter. I did state it needs to shot M80 ball well and to NATO spec...check the facts.

jreffner

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2019, 03:09:13 PM »

Well Guys,  I got my email yesterday and they found the problem.  If I'm understanding this correctly, it appears to be a step skipped in the manufacturing process?

Here is the relevant part of the email:

James,

I have your barrel ready to come back to you. I removed your punch and the piston. I changed out the barrel and moved your brake over to the new one. It looks like you were missing a chamfer on the gas block. I definitely see why you were having the issues you were having getting that installed. It should go a lot smoother now with the new barrel. If you have any questions let me know, but I am getting your barrel and punch packaged to come back to you today. Thanks so much.

Megan

So, I feel quite a bit better about this, and I really appreciate their honesty as well as their quick turn-around.  I have to say that even though a mistake was made originally, they have been wonderful about fixing it.

After I put a few mags through it as CBM suggested and sight it in, I'll be happy to let you know how it performs.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »

Looks like I was right CBM...

An out of spec part was the problem not user error.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »

Megan gave me Jim's barrel, I took a picture along side a new gas block. Both of them look basically just like every other gas block I have ever seen. Here is a picture for you to judge for yourself:

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
JesseJames38

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »

From what I can see,  the old one is still on the barrel and the new gas block does not have the barrel installed. 
For the gas block on the rifle.   I see all the rough edges on the gas block where it hasnít been finished yet.   The square cutout for the pic rail is sharp and not radius.  The front of the gas block has a hard line and not radiused.  The radius On the gas block for the piston does not look as smooth and pronounced either.  The radius appears on the gas block,  the gas block does not look like it was put in for the finishing steps prior to being sent out for coatings

The gas block that is not installed in the photo looks much more refined, polished and finished.   

This is just my opinion on the view of the photo.  Like all photos, optical illusion may play a part.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »

Megan gave me Jim's barrel, I took a picture along side a new gas block. Both of them look basically just like every other gas block I have ever seen. Here is a picture for you to judge for yourself:

If they are indeed "basically like every other gas block" why replace it?...per Megan it was out of spec...missing a chamfer is out of spec...its ok...you can admit you were wrong .... Jim didn't cause the issue on this .... Wink ... glad he got a replacement.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »

If they are indeed "basically like every other gas block" why replace it?...per Megan it was out of spec...missing a chamfer is out of spec...its ok...you can admit you were wrong .... Jim didn't cause the issue on this .... Wink ... glad he got a replacement.

I didn't admit I was wrong because the gas blocks are the same (it has a chamfer). I'm glad Jim got taken care of, but the parts are fine.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »

So why was it replaced if it was fine?

I mean even the red tag shown says missing chamfer....

Iím confused.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:07:12 PM by thehun » Logged
coldboremiracle

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »

Iím confused.
I dont know, That's why I said, judge for yourself.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:53:21 PM by coldboremiracle » Logged

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »

Iím confused.
I dont know, That's why I said, judge for yourself.

LOL...this is comical...is this how DT operates? I don't know what is wrong (even though it is written on the service tag its missing a chamfer), it "looks" normal...heck...lets throw some parts at it and see...it worked...but we have no clue what the underlining problem is nor take proper measurements to find out if the batch this gas block came from is ok or not that might effect other customers...Megan again proves she is the rock keeping DT service afloat...she somehow figured it out...something was out of spec and serviced it...

anyone? anyone? anyone? wtf wtf wtf
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:07:15 PM by thehun » Logged
spector762

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »

I didn't admit I was wrong because the gas blocks are the same (it has a chamfer). I'm glad Jim got taken care of, but the parts are fine.
after makeing about a dozen gas blocks useing the specs on dt block there's no decent way of getting a decent chanfer on that lower part mine look the same
jreffner

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2019, 10:12:16 PM »

was finally able to get my 5.56 MDR to the range today. Here is what I experienced for those that care:

I used four different types of ammo listed below. All of which performed just fine.

5.56 Winchester white box 55 grains
5.56 PMC X-TAC 62 grains
223 PMC 55 grains
223 Federal 55 grains

The magazines used are listed below. All of which performed perfectly, and which dropped from the mag well.

PMag gen 2
PMag gen 3
HexMag gen 2
Lancers!!!

Out of 200 rounds (120 were Federal), I experienced one double feed, zero failure to feed, zero failure to extract.  This was all with the chute on the entire time. I was very impressed.

I also put some Magpul offset sights on the rifle. The front sight is on the forearm. I removed the forearm and then reattached it. I did not lose my zero on the iron sights in doing this after reattaching. It might be worth noting though that I was very careful to tighten the two screws on the forearm very well and very evenly. 

The left side of the charging handle slapped very easily, the right side is slappable, but you have to hit much harder. Being a right hand guy, I don’t really care but the left-handed users may want to know this.

It is a heavy rifle, but to be honest it doesn’t feel that heavy when it is shouldered. Since most of the weight is in the back my arms do not fatigue when holding it up nearly as quickly as a typical rifle.  yes, I am weak.

I did not find the recoil to be bad at all, and the recoil pad was just fine.  I did replace the flash hider with a Faxon muzzle break.

When compared with my Steyr AUG, the MDR has more weight in the back versus the Steyr which has more weight forward in my opinion. I personally think the MDR shoulders better than the AUG.

Taking it apart and cleaning it was fairly easy. I did not remove the piston because it did not slide very easily and I was worried that I will not be able to put it back. This is of course due to my earlier experience with the incorrectly manufactured part, but I am obviously a little gun shy to touch it.  perhaps I will pull it out and properly clean it after I shoot it next.

I sighted it in at 100 yards with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 power scope. I used an Aero Percision ultra light mount. After I got it sighted in, it shot about 2 MOA.  I think I could do better with a better rest ( I used a foam one Sootch always uses) and better ammo, but I was busy and also had to sight in a a Faxon ARAK as well.

I agree with most of the other people that the trigger on this is pretty damn good for a bullpup. In fact, I would say it is a little bit better than your average AR. There is a little bit of gritty take up and I was able to measure the trigger pull at 6 lbs. 11 oz. 

All three mag release buttons are not too stiff. They’re not exactly easy to push, but they are not as bad as earlier reports I have read. They all work and all work just fine.

The bolt release works just fine and very easily.

The ejection chute panel comes off fairly easy but the opposite chute on the side where it does not eject is very difficult to remove due to the heavier spring they just added. I suppose if this is what they need to do to keep it from popping off then fine, but it is not easy to take this chute off.

I had no problems with pins walking out.

Some people have reported the safety it’s not having a very positive click when you flip it. I found it to be just fine. I can both hear and feel the click.

Overall, I think this is an extremely impressive rifle. Yes it is expensive, but if it holds up, I will be very happy with my purchase. The testing and evaluation and the pain and suffering that went into the 308’s really did pay off for the 223’s.  Those of you who are worried about getting a bad rifle, I don’t think you need to worry. True, I did get a defective gas chamber on my barrel, but they we’re very quick to fix the problem, and none of the other reported problems appear to exist. Keep in mind though, I’ve only put 200 rounds through this and shot it one day. So far, I am extremely satisfied.

A big thank you to Megan and Cold Bore Miracle!

Jim

I also forgot to mention that the gas setting I used was four.  I tried setting three and it did not work at all. On three I got several failure to extracts and a nasty double feed.  Setting 4 worked great.

And.... I just saw the discussion about my original gas block versus the second one they sent me. I don’t remember being able to see the chamfer at all, but I did not know what I was looking for at the time. I can tell you very clearly though that the gas plug went in to the second gas block very easily whereas the first one did not go in at all.  There absolutely was a very noticeable difference between the two parts. Either way, I don’t really care because they fixed it. They fixed it for free, and they fixed it well. I cannot complain.

* image.jpg (2220.14 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 71 times.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:24:17 PM by jreffner » Logged
JesseJames38

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2019, 02:14:06 AM »

Itís good to hear your rifle is working out well.  Seems you are enjoying the MDR.   I am waiting on getting mine back from the company, so far it has been there about two weeks.
AF Gunner

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »

Itís good to hear your rifle is working out well.  Seems you are enjoying the MDR.   I am waiting on getting mine back from the company, so far it has been there about two weeks.

Same, I'm at 3 weeks since they received it. Mine is just in for the updates, no issues.
jreffner

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »

I put another 100 rounds through my 5.56 MDR last weekend and didnít have a single issue.  I used Federal ammo and Hexmag gen 2 and Magpul gen 3 mags.

No jams, misdeeds, walking pins, etc.  oh yeah, I also pulled the piston out and cleaned it all really well.  I had no problem putting the piston back in the gas block!

I really couldnít be happier with it.  Next post Iíll provide some accuracy info.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »

Nice. Good to hear.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length