Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2019, 03:50:25 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  Mine Shipped
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Mine Shipped  (Read 2514 times)
jreffner

« on: August 17, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »

Just an FYI for those with an MDR on order:  I ordered a black 5.56 model on February 25, 2018 and it just shipped yesterday, August 16.  Perhaps this will give you an idea about how soon yours will ship.

Iíll also post my experiences with it ASAP.
Modat5
^

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »

Cool... good to hear.... I'm hoping to get contacted by Sgt_P sometime soon about my .223 pre-order.   

This gives me more hope.

jreffner

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:29:46 PM »

Well, are you ready for even more bad MDR news?  Here it is:

I got my 5.56 MDR about a week ago.  I immediately took it apart to clean it, and to learn exactly how to service it in the future.  After a cleaning of the barrel, piston/gas chamber, and BCG I started to put it back together.  All went smoothly except for the gas chamber.  Upon trying to put the piston back in its chamber it wouldn't fit.  The flat spring which wraps around it wasn't wrapped tightly against the piston.  This made the piston too wide to fit into the chamber.  I called Megan at DT and she was very nice and told me to use some force to tape it in.  As soon as I started the edge of the spring started to bend and I knew it wasn't going to work.  She sent me a new spring and told me to put it on when I get it.  A week later I did just that and immediately noticed the same problem.  I called and no one answers in the warranty dept.  They are always quick to answer in the sales dept though.  None the less I got no help and decided to try what I was told to do a week earlier which was to tap the piston back in.  Doing so was as I expected a bad move and just jammed the piston in so that it couldn't move.  Then I realized that this was probably unsafe to shoot so I tried to tap the piston back out.  Naturally the spring that was now bent made it miserable to tap out.  I never got it out, and now my punch is jammed in there as well.  To top it off I had my gunsmith put a muzzlebreak on in place of the flash hider.  So now it is really screwed up.

I haven't fired a single round out of this thing because cleaning it broke it.  They send me the same problem twice.  How can a company like this not disassemble their own guns for cleaning?  For that matter, how did they assemble it in the first place?  I'm not accepting a rifle I can't clean.  It will be a total piece of inoperable carbon-filled crap if I can't clean it.  Should I have to live with the fear of parts breaking every single time I clean it?  The flat spring wrapped around the gas valve is very tight looking and  appears to be without a problem.  So why is the spring around the piston so loose?  How does this pass inspection?  Are they all like this?  After all of the terrible crap I have read here, I know I shouldn't be shocked.  I told myself it was just the .308s.  Well, the 5.56's have issues too.  Who knows, if this problem actually gets fixed, it may still have issues that I'm not even aware of yet.  I'm so disappointed.  Here are some pictures for those that are curious.  I'd love to hear for other 5.56 owners.  Do you have a piston with a loose spring that won't fit back in the gas chamber too?  Thanks.

* IMG_3235.jpg (1234.2 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 83 times.)
jreffner

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »

The other pictures didn't upload.  Lets try again.

* IMG_3215.jpg (907.77 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 60 times.)
jreffner

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »

one more.  Please forgive my inability to attach multiple pictures.

* IMG_3236.jpg (1189.11 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 60 times.)
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:58:28 PM »

Did you try compressing the spring before pushing the piston back into the gas block?  Also, when you removed the gas ring, did you notice if the groove that it sat in was cut without any bumps or ridges in it?

Kurt
jreffner

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »

I tried compressing the spring but it was just a metal spring against a metal piston.  There was no compressing it.  I did not see any bumps or grooves.  Should there be some?  Megan was very nice but said a week ago she would send a video showing how to install the spring.  The video never came and no one was avail to help.  It looked pretty simple and that there couldnít be much to it.  I was very careful not to over stretch the spring as I put it on.  Then again, if it is a super critical operation then they should have just sent a new piston with the spring I already in it.  I told them I didnít know how to do it (hence the video offer that never happened).  Still they sent the spring even though I was concerned that we would be right back where we were a week ago.  Did I screw it up?  Iím not sure how I could have.  Thanks Kurt
JesseJames38

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »

I have taken my piston out of the gas block a few times.  I will admit that it was a pain to put back in a few times.  I never had to tap the piston into place. I did place some gun oil around the gas rings and then slowly pushed in on the piston. If I am not mistaken I kind of pushed it around in a circle  when I did it.  At the same time the gas plug selector valve can also be a pain to install from time to time due to the same rings.  If I was to suggest something to DT. It would be put a radius on the gas block opening to help compress the seal when installing. Also I would have Desert Tech send you a new piston with the ring already installed.  If I am not mistaken it even says in the manual that removing the gas rings will void the warranty

Jesse.
coldboremiracle

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »

Well, are you ready for even more bad MDR news?  Here it is:

I got my 5.56 MDR about a week ago.  I immediately took it apart to clean it, and to learn exactly how to service it in the future.  After a cleaning of the barrel, piston/gas chamber, and BCG I started to put it back together.  All went smoothly except for the gas chamber.  Upon trying to put the piston back in its chamber it wouldn't fit.  The flat spring which wraps around it wasn't wrapped tightly against the piston.  This made the piston too wide to fit into the chamber.  I called Megan at DT and she was very nice and told me to use some force to tape it in.  As soon as I started the edge of the spring started to bend and I knew it wasn't going to work.  She sent me a new spring and told me to put it on when I get it.  A week later I did just that and immediately noticed the same problem.  I called and no one answers in the warranty dept.  They are always quick to answer in the sales dept though.  None the less I got no help and decided to try what I was told to do a week earlier which was to tap the piston back in.  Doing so was as I expected a bad move and just jammed the piston in so that it couldn't move.  Then I realized that this was probably unsafe to shoot so I tried to tap the piston back out.  Naturally the spring that was now bent made it miserable to tap out.  I never got it out, and now my punch is jammed in there as well.  To top it off I had my gunsmith put a muzzlebreak on in place of the flash hider.  So now it is really screwed up.

I haven't fired a single round out of this thing because cleaning it broke it.  They send me the same problem twice.  How can a company like this not disassemble their own guns for cleaning?  For that matter, how did they assemble it in the first place?  I'm not accepting a rifle I can't clean.  It will be a total piece of inoperable carbon-filled crap if I can't clean it.  Should I have to live with the fear of parts breaking every single time I clean it?  The flat spring wrapped around the gas valve is very tight looking and  appears to be without a problem.  So why is the spring around the piston so loose?  How does this pass inspection?  Are they all like this?  After all of the terrible crap I have read here, I know I shouldn't be shocked.  I told myself it was just the .308s.  Well, the 5.56's have issues too.  Who knows, if this problem actually gets fixed, it may still have issues that I'm not even aware of yet.  I'm so disappointed.  Here are some pictures for those that are curious.  I'd love to hear for other 5.56 owners.  Do you have a piston with a loose spring that won't fit back in the gas chamber too?  Thanks.

I never understand why people feel the need to clean a brand new gun. Out of the hundreds of MDRs Ive shot and thousands of rounds through them, Ive never needed to remove the piston. But when you do, it can be a PITA to get straight. To add insult to injury, it is much easier after being "fireformed" from shooting. If you just shot it, it probably never would have been a problem.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
coldboremiracle

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »

If I was to suggest something to DT. It would be put a radius on the gas block opening to help compress the seal when installing.

It does have a radius, for that reason.

The first shot, is worth all the rest.

Follow me on FB, IG, YT
Kublah

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »

Yikes. I have cleaned my rifle dozens of times now, about every 100-250 rounds (each range trip) and make a point to clean the piston too. Is that truly a spring or is it a gas check? I always put a little dab of oil there. I would hope that maybe you can talk to them and they would just replace the piston, provided you send back the one you currently have... replacing those gas checks would be quite a pain.

https://deserttech.com/media/download/Desert-Tech-MDR-Manual.pdf

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:13:22 PM by Kublah » Logged
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »

Jreffner...does your gas block have a radius...
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 09:21:47 PM »

I never understand why people feel the need to clean a brand new gun. Out of the hundreds of MDRs Ive shot and thousands of rounds through them, Ive never needed to remove the piston. But when you do, it can be a PITA to get straight. To add insult to injury, it is much easier after being "fireformed" from shooting. If you just shot it, it probably never would have been a problem.

some prefer to clean and lube their new firearms prior to shooting - to their preferences, not a new concept and nothing wrong with it either...easy to understand.  the MDR manual illustrates disassembly of the gas block assembly for cleaning and maintenance.  nothing in the manual indicates it's a PITA to reassemble.  implying he should've left it alone and nothing would've happened is one thing, but with all the defects being reported on youtube and users here and lackluster QC...it's quite possible there was an issue to begin with.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:23:48 PM by HBeretta » Logged
Kublah

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:28:36 PM »

Mine is ever so slightly radiused, but i have not had any issues with assembly/disassembly.

* IMG_20190826_202006.jpg (2872.05 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 42 times.)

* IMG_20190826_202416.jpg (2935.56 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 35 times.)
Box

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »

some prefer to clean and lube their new firearms prior to shooting - to their preferences, not a new concept and nothing wrong with it either...easy to understand.  the MDR manual illustrates disassembly of the gas block assembly for cleaning and maintenance.  nothing in the manual indicates it's a PITA to reassemble.  implying he should've left it alone and nothing would've happened is one thing, but with all the defects being reported on youtube and users here and lackluster QC...it's quite possible there was an issue to begin with.  

This.  I always clean a new gun before shooting.
jreffner

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »

Apparently it does have a radius (CBM says so)

I put a dab of oil on it as well.

Taking the spring off does void the warranty according to the manual, but Megan told me to do it since it wouldn't fit.  That is also why she sent me another spring.  Again I didn't remove the spring from the piston until AFTER it didn't fit back in, and until I was told to do so.

CBM, the reason I cleaned it is because I felt it would be wise to learn how to take it apart to learn how to clean it since I will have to clean it eventually.  Based on my experience with other piston rifles, and especially my AUG, it gets pretty filthy in there.  It makes sense to me to clean anything that gets dirty.  Plus I was taught to clean and lube anything new, as well as after each shooting session.  I have done this on dozens of firearms over the past three decades and never had a problem.  Putting the piston in the AUG is no big deal, and therefore I didn't expect it to be a big deal in the MDR either.  If it shouldn't be removed until "X' number of rounds have been shot (so it may be "fireformed") then maybe it should be stated in the manual.  Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your taking the time to write, as well as all of the videos you have made, and all of the posts you have made in the past, but I don't think it is fair to criticize me for cleaning a gun.  Especially on a part that is supposed to be cleanable.  If you never clean it, eventually those holes in the gas valve will plug with carbon wont they?  I have no idea if the piston has to be that tight in there or not, but obviously other manufactures such as Steyr have managed to do it without making it something the consumer can easily screw up.  Sorry for not having more knowledge on the MDR or even in general, but I still don't think my actions are unreasonable.

Respectfully,

Jim
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »

Don't feel bad...I take apart every new gun I get as well...
jreffner

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 09:48:29 PM »

Thank you Sir (hun)
Kublah

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »

I have always taken apart and cleaned every new firearm, MDR included. I have had my MDR since one of the first, so unfortunately that was not advertised to leave it, let alone the break in period. I thought that was just a general good practice as you can look the firearm over for defects, clean out any manufacturing crud, and many firearms are shipped after being generously dipped in oil to prevent rust.

However, I am quite satisfied with my MDR after getting rid of that s*** Malaysian ammo.
jreffner

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »

I appreciate your comment.  I want to love mine too.  Hopefully They will fix it and I will be able to clean it without issues.  Apparently it is possible.  Some here say  they havenít had a problem. Still though, if it was that easy for me to screw up, I donít think it was designed well. At least The piston. Finish and fit in every other aspect however, is absolutely beautiful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length