Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2019, 09:10:56 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Desert Tech MDR (Moderators: kfeltenberger, Heathsrow)
| | |-+  DT releases MDR panel upgrade/fix (video)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DT releases MDR panel upgrade/fix (video)  (Read 435 times)
Box

« on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »

https://youtu.be/V-Umdg6F5NQ
JesseJames38

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »

Yeah.  Seen the YouTube video.  Honestly not sure how this buffer is going to help with the covers being retained under fire. At the same time I wounded how much of a pain it will be to release covers after the upgrade.  Personally I would have liked to see a new latch that had a blocker so you couldnít slide the button back.   Maybe it will be much better then the thoughts in my mind. 

Never had the cover come off yet, itís just a matter of time

Jesse
newguy2k3

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »

Definitely a necessary change.

I wonder if they have a fix or at least explanation for the panels that have actually cracked and broken at the slots where the retainer tab slides through.
Zeiram3f

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »

Iím not sure why they didnít use tension latches. This would prevent the issue altogether, simplify the hardware, and with the added tension it would prevent added wear from dissimilar metals rubbing on each other.
kfeltenberger
Global Moderator
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:21:17 PM »

Iím not sure why they didnít use tension latches. This would prevent the issue altogether, simplify the hardware, and with the added tension it would prevent added wear from dissimilar metals rubbing on each other.

I've wondered about the spring loaded tabs since the beginning.  I think it could have been an issue of which design would provide the utility needed with the lowest profile.  Since they are spring loaded, it probably eases the tolerances for both the panel and the port, while a latch might have required additional precision.  That said, I think it would be very informative to have a round table discussion with DT to ask questions on why they made certain decisions like this.

Kurt
Zeiram3f

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:51:17 PM »

I think youíd be trying to herd cats at that point though - as fun as the idea sounds. Youíd be tracking down numerous hardware engineers, employed or otherwise. I could imagine most of management knowing nuance behind most design choices though. Perhaps Nick would open a new QA to exclusively discuss reasons behind design choices... but I donít see that happening either.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length