Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 02:10:42 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Wanted to show off my 3D printed RDB handguard
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wanted to show off my 3D printed RDB handguard  (Read 209 times)
pat_bcr

« on: August 09, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »

Hey all,

I just started getting into the RDB, and while I like the gun, I hate the stock handguard. I had a 2D sketch turned into a model and then a prototype printed to test the proof of concept.

I like the slimmer lines of this handguard but there are definite areas to change and improve. I'll update when I can, but this is just a hobby project for me at the moment.

* IMG_20190807_165449_208.jpg (984.82 KB, 3213x1682 - viewed 81 times.)
BullPop

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »

nice

magpul slots?

hot barrel an issue?

Illegitimus non carborundum...
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »

Looks nice and clean. What material? What printing process?

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
pat_bcr

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »

Yes, they're MLOK slots. I definitely need to do some tweaking to the layout but it's a huge improvement to the original handguard. I wanted to see if I could design a lightweight, low profile MLOK version that wasn't as 'tall' as the Lucky Irishman or the KelTec MLOK version.

This was an FDM print and I think it's just ABS plastic. I didn't ask the printer lol. I don't think it'd stand up to major heat loads in its current format unless I change some materials or alter the way it locks into the gas block. Ideally, I'd like to get the final version made out of Aluminum but that's very expensive.
waffenmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »

Did you test with 100+ rounds in 1 hour? Can you share STLs?
pat_bcr

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »

I haven't put any rounds through it just yet, but I wouldn't expect much in this iteration. The one advantage is that it's secured to the gas block using an aluminum spacer that runs where the original push pin used to be. Two screws are used on opposite sides to clamp down onto the gas block.

I'm hesitant to release an STL just because I'm considering getting the design made up in aluminum and I don't want to potentially complicate any future business arrangements. If I change my mind and decide not to go the manufacturing route, I'll be happy to share it publicly.
waffenmeister

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »

Aluminium is the past century. Aim to composite materials like carbon fiber
pat_bcr

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »

I don't disagree with you, and I was thinking of doing a second print after making my design changes in carbon-fiber reinforce nylon.

However, I am poor and only have so much coin to throw at a passion project, so I'll be lucky if I ever get one made out of aluminum at this rate lol
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length