Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 01:53:19 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr AUG AUG icon
| | | |-+  Rail-less 3.0X scope available?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rail-less 3.0X scope available?  (Read 259 times)
Sierra117
New Posting Member

« on: August 09, 2019, 06:25:00 AM »

I'm looking to purchase an AUG (FINALLY) but I fell in love with the more streamlined aesthetics of the older models. Is it still possible to buy new AUGs with the older style scope? If not, can I source one somewhere? I checked PJ's and while "Skinny STG77 Scope Assembly" is listed Here , but I'm not sure if that's what I'm after.

Thanks for the help; It's nice to (finally) be here!
Andygold

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/39298/Firearms/Rifles/Steyr+Arms/STEYR+STG77SA+AUGSTG77+223+20IN+W%2F1.5X

I'm not suggesting you buy from them.  It was just the first link I found with what I believe you are looking for.

It is an STG77 or STG77SA, a 40th anniversary model that has most of the latest updates to the original rifle, but with a scope that approximates the looks of the original scope.  The STG scope  does not sit as high as the original, as there is not as much empty space between the bottom of the scope and the top of the receiver compared to the A1/A2.   Thing is, I don't believe Steyr makes it in 3.0x.  I think it only comes with 1.5x.  STG77 models should come with the "bump" in the stock, just behind the optic, whereas most railed versions have had the bump ground away.
 I may be incorrect in this, but at first the anniversary editions were commanding extra money due to their rarity.  Then it appears that there were a lot more produced than people expected, and the price dropped.  They may not be as "Limited Edition" as one would first think.  Shop around on prices!!!

Another way to get the look, although probably more expensive, would be to purchase as A3M1, the STG77 scope you mentioned above, and then a 20" barrel to replace the standard 16" length barrel. Some pluses of doing it this way are that you get the rear-mounted bolt release that is not available on the 40th anniversary models.  You do away with the large 40th Anniversary emblem on the right side of the stock.  However, with the anniversary model you get the old style push button charging handle forward assist.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:38:33 PM by Andygold » Logged
ttarp

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:55:19 PM »

Thats what you're looking for, the "Skinny" scope is the one they used on the 40th rifles, 1.5x only.  Pete will set up a rifle how you want it when you order from him, I got a green stock 20" with the skinny scope, I would have just picked up a 40th, but I do like that bolt release.

I don't have an original to compare it to, but I'm pretty sure the new 1.5x skinny scope sits the same height as the originals, but due to the different mounting system the base is thicker on the new ones, leaving less space between the scope tube and base.

It might be possible to disassemble a railed 3x and put the tube in the 1.5x body, but I have a strong feeling even if it is possible that it would be more trouble than its worth.
Andygold

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 12:36:51 AM »

You're probably right about the scope height.  I saw the lesser space between receiver and handle on the 40th scopes, and automatically assumed it was lower than the A1 and A2.  I never took into account that it's probably the reciever stretching further upward.

The SF scopes though, I believe they are lower, as I've heard it's easier to keep a cheek weld, when using a red dot above, than it is with a standard A3 M1 scope which some have said is too high.
maleante
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 01:36:13 AM »

The scope tubes are not interchangeable.
gunhand

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »

I bought a slightly used A3 M1 locally, then I got an STG77 scope from Pete Athens to do my AUG-P tribute rifle
THX1138

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »

I don't have an original to compare it to, but I'm pretty sure the new 1.5x skinny scope sits the same height as the originals, but due to the different mounting system the base is thicker on the new ones, leaving less space between the scope tube and base.

Correct; same height.

The SF scopes though, I believe they are lower, as I've heard it's easier to keep a cheek weld, when using a red dot above, than it is with a standard A3 M1 scope which some have said is too high.

The SF scope is the M1 scope believe it or not. All exports of the AUG A3 SF come with the scope we get on the M1 in the US. It is standard scope height like all previous gen AUG scopes; 70mm over bore. The scope that is often considered the SF scope is actually a custom scope built for the Austrian military's STG77 A2 Kommando. The Austrian military is big on the piggyback sight setup, so the scope sits 10mm lower at 60mm over bore.
Sierra117
New Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 02:43:20 AM »

Thanks for the help all! What a great community.

As for me, It looks like I'll be going with the 3.0x scope on a black AUG.

I see the 1.5x has built in back-up iron sights. Any recommendations for backups to mount on the rail of the 3.0x?

I tried to buy mine today but PJ's is all sold out. See ya soonish!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:51:08 AM by Sierra117 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length