Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 06:53:01 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  US Military Dog Tag Questions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: US Military Dog Tag Questions  (Read 214 times)
Andygold

« on: July 08, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »

I'm looking to get a set for someone who will not wear a medic-alert bracelet, but will wear dog tags...

I've seen aftermarket dog tags sold online by multiple vendors and they vary greatly from each other.  I'm trying to determine which is closest to the real current issue.

Are the letters supposed to be embossed into the tag, or are they raised from behind?

Is the hole for the chain supposed to be to the left of the wording or to the right when reading the tag?

Is their supposed to be a metal edging surrounding the tag?  I've seen a separate piece of metal affixed on the edge...and I've seen a rolled/embossed edging, and I've seen a totally flat tag with no edging.

Is the slot in the edging, if it has one, truly supposedly there for shoving between the teeth of the deceased?  Do current tags still have this slot?
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »

How current are you looking for?  I don't recall the slot you're talking about on mine, but I was Army in '88.  If you don't mind them being that old, I'd be happy to answer your questions.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure there is a more recently separated (or even active) member on this forum.  You may want to specify which branch, too.  There may be subtle differences between them.

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
techparentz.com - Learn, Share, Teach.
Andygold

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:28:59 PM »

It doesn't have to be super current.  I'm just looking for something that won't come off as a joke.  Online, there's a ton of tags, with lots of variables.  I'm just looking for something that's close to the real deal, and doesn't look super phoney.
bravo619

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 01:16:35 AM »

Army surplus used to stamp tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/bravo619/458.gif
Plinker
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:55:00 AM »

I went looking for my old tags, but can't find them.  Sorry, Andygold.  If I run across them, I'll let you know.

The next time you think everyone should be equal in outcome, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".  If you don't fear that kind of world, please don't vote.
techparentz.com - Learn, Share, Teach.
DOWNS

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:57:53 AM »

I got out in late 2016.  The notch in the tag hasnt been a thing for a long time.  A very long time.

My first sets i got in 2003 from boot camp were embossed the other direction.  Not sure if that makes sense or not.  All of the tags i got when i made it to the fleet looked like the one pictured below.  

Just a note may not matter in your case they stopped using social security numbers on dog tags in the late 2000s.  After that big security breach by the dod employee of socials on a laptop, and gave everyone a DODID number instead that got stamped on tags and printed on id cards.

This website makes good ones.  

https://www.dogtags.com/

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length