Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 10:00:05 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  All Other Bullpup Rifles
| | |-+  The Army is working on a mini assault rifle
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Army is working on a mini assault rifle  (Read 818 times)
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: July 07, 2019, 06:43:46 AM »

< https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28349/the-army-is-working-on-a-mini-assault-rifle-that-performs-like-an-m4-but-is-half-as-big >

Bullpup design, tapered bore.  I'm in !
whiskey91lima
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:56:59 AM »

I've read elsewhere that they explicitly looking for rifle length (18-20") velocities out of a 8-10" barrel with terminal ballistics of rifle length 5.56.

Obvious if this is achieved in 5.56 size round, they will won't the same for a larger bullet that can shoot longer ranges. 
mpd3285
^

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »

Is this that much different than what NATO wanted when FN designed the P90 and SS190? Shoot through soft armor at 200M. Sure 5.7 isn't going 5.56 fast, but it's doing pretty good for a 10.4" tube.

Steyr AUG= Austrian combat Legos since 1977.
Why SBR when you can AUG?! - Haven't we been taxed enough already?
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:38:46 PM »

Meh...it will never take off...exotic rounds hardly ever do once procurement steps in...and the HK MP7 is already in use and fielded by USSOCOM....

Honestly...US Army should just adopt the Micro X95...
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 01:22:03 AM »

. . . Obvious if this is achieved in 5.56 size round, they will won't the same for a larger bullet that can shoot longer ranges. 

Thanks whiskey91lima,

Indeed, the crux of my interest in this Report is based on this reasonable assumption. Fact is: Back in 1974, I put together a concept drawing which incorporated, among other design features, tapered bore ---

Sawdustshot

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »

Thanks whiskey91lima,

Indeed, the crux of my interest in this Report is based on this reasonable assumption. Fact is: Back in 1974, I put together a concept drawing which incorporated, among other design features, tapered bore ---
There's a reason there have only been three implementations of the squeeze bore principle, four if the little John adapter is included. They gain nothing over saboted projectiles at the cost of greater chamber pressure, accelerated barrel wear, and more expensive manufacture.
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:18 AM »

Sawdustshot, thanks for chiming-in.

There's no doubt about the relative practicality of saboted ammuniton over tapered-bore barrels. Indeed, I investigated the former back in the 1970's --- both my own designs, as well as Remington's Accelerator:

< www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?8275-Alternative-to-6-5-Grendel&p=90863&viewfull=1#post90863 >

That said: I'd like to see how the patented breech-related designs by ARL engineer, Alex Michlin, work in this interesting development. Overall, I see it as a welcome step forward.
Sawdustshot

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »

I'm a bit skeptical of that screw breech's ability to cycle or tolerate fouling. That said, some development is going to have to happen if the army wants its 100 ksi chamber pressure super rifles.
Barrels will also have to be improved. I don't remember where I read it, but someone suggested making barrels out of tool steel to resist wear. Might allow for lighter LMGs as well.
I don't know if it's even feasible, but could propellants be formulated to significantly stretch the pressure curve? I got a muzzle velocity of about 1300 m/s a while back when I did some napkin math on if a 5.56 maintained chamber pressure for the entire length of the barrel. While that is clearly an undesirable extreme, there could be something there.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length