Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 09:30:09 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  IDF short top rail project for X95
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IDF short top rail project for X95  (Read 705 times)
BellatorInvictus

« on: July 04, 2019, 05:37:58 PM »

Well I got bored the other day so I started modeling up a copy of the IDF short top rail. Here are some screenshots. Most dimensions were taken from the regular rail that comes standard on the US X95; other dimensions were scaled or eyeballed to the best of my ability using reference pics. I'm 3D printing a prototype and will post pics of that installed on the rifle when done. After that, I'll machine it properly out of aluminum when time allows. After years of requests, IWI still won't sell these parts, so I'm going to make them myself. Round handguard is next.

* toprail1.png (342.31 KB, 1583x774 - viewed 149 times.)

* toprail2.png (158.89 KB, 1587x774 - viewed 135 times.)

* toprail3.png (290.63 KB, 1584x776 - viewed 132 times.)

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »

Below are some pictures of what I'm trying to convert my X95 into. SBR Form 1 is already submitted. It's basically a standard IDF-style X95. This is the version I've always wanted--the original Micro Tavor. I'm planning to do an integral suppressor setup for 9mm and 300BLK, so the round handguard will be a necessity. Having the top IDF-style pic rail will allow easy swapping between optics (M21, MOR, M5, ACOG, etc.).

* 61145615_430041254242786_4915495814091708298_n-1.jpg (43.17 KB, 1080x760 - viewed 93 times.)

* 57471993_2272588819668263_3817062390307159684_n.jpg (78.6 KB, 1080x829 - viewed 104 times.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:41:56 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

Throughout all history, there has been one class of people who have been ordinarily prohibited from bearing arms: slaves.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
MajorKong

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 06:59:04 PM »

Thought I would post this for your topic.  A while back I mentioned the possibility of finding some IDF parts on the surplus market.  I found a surplus dealer in Israel.  I am sure that there are others but this one has a website in English instead of Hebrew. 

http://contact-kalia.com

Maybe someone can work something out to get some IDF handguards and rails. 

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »

Thought I would post this for your topic.  A while back I mentioned the possibility of finding some IDF parts on the surplus market.  I found a surplus dealer in Israel.  I am sure that there are others but this one has a website in English instead of Hebrew. 

http://contact-kalia.com

Maybe someone can work something out to get some IDF handguards and rails. 

Thanks for the link. I don't know the legalities of importing parts though with respect to ITAR.

MajorKong

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »

If we could find a US-based retailer and get a sufficient group buy together.  Just an idea. 
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »

If we could find a US-based retailer and get a sufficient group buy together.  Just an idea. 

Sign me up. Know of any retailers out there willing to take up the challenge? Any super-Tavor aficionados?

In the meantime, if anyone has any reference or suggestions about the IDF rail project, feel free to post. I have a lot of good reference material already but I'm always happy for more. Same for the round handguard, but I'll be starting a separate thread for that once I have a working model going.

On Arfcom there are thousands and thousands of pages dedicated to clone threads for the Mk. 18, M4A1, M16, etc. etc. Why don't we start some similar research threads over here on Arfcom for the Tavor and X95? At the very least we can collect info and serve as a resource regarding the development of these weapons. Tavors have been around for a while now--there's plenty to research.

Zeiram3f

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 11:15:18 PM »

I have no suggestions, but color me interested in the rail.
DubageL

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »

Looks good. That photo is the 2nd version of that “closed top” type short rail. There was an open top rail prior to these versions. Wish we could get the round handguards. FYI, You can make that short rail out of either the full length x95 top rail or the shorter SBR top rail. Just cut them to length and touch up finish. You probably won’t have the BUIS rail peep sights but it won’t matter because even on that short IDF top rail in your photos they are covered by the optic. There are also like 3 different versions of that “short” closed top rail. Depending if the x95 has those early integral rear sights and meprolight proprietary magnifier QD mount on the tube or the “slick” tube like civilian x95s that allow more picantiny rail space to the rear.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:50:46 PM by DubageL » Logged
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »

Looks good. That photo is the 2nd version of that “closed top” type short rail. There was an open top rail prior to these versions. Wish we could get the round handguards. FYI, You can make that short rail out of either the full length x95 top rail or the shorter SBR top rail. Just cut them to length and touch up finish. You probably won’t have the BUIS rail peep sights but it won’t matter because even on that short IDF top rail in your photos they are covered by the optic. There are also like 3 different versions of that “short” closed top rail. Depending if the x95 has those early integral rear sights and meprolight proprietary magnifier QD mount on the tube or the “slick” tube like civilian x95s that allow more picantiny rail space to the rear.

That's true--there are multiple rails used on the IDF X95s. The primary one has rail area for an optic and has the rear sight built into the rail, but doesn't cover up where the MX3 magnifier mount is on the gas block. That's the version I've recreated above. There are other versions such as on the X95L, which doesn't close the top and has a section of rail going all the way back over the gas block.

Currently the issue for me is that the proper gas block for the IDF rail I've replicated above is unobtainium. There are two versions of the IDF gas block which feature a proprietary optics mount for the MX3, grenade launcher sight, etc.: version A is for models with the integral sight, while version B is for models with a removable sight--the difference being that the version for the removable optics does not have the rear sight built into the gas block itself, but rather into the rail as described above. What I have is the IDF gas block for integral optics that I stole from my IDF16 SAR. In light of that, I went ahead and made an even shorter version of the IDF top rail that allows me to use the gas block from the IDF16. I like this a lot actually as now I can swap optics, but still pop up the rear sight with the M21 since it isn't blocking it by being on top of it. I'll attach some pics. I have a QD mount on the way for my M21 and will post pics when that arrives too.

There was a guy on here a few years ago who cut down the long top rail. I thought about doing that, but it would sacrifice some important details. Since I'm a machinist, it's pretty easy for me to just make the thing exactly as the original was, so that's what I'll be doing--CNC milling it out of T6061 and sending it off for milspec black anodizing. It will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing when I'm done. I'll be making both versions--the original design as an exact replica, and my own shortened version so I can still use my IDF gas block (unless IWI decides to offer the IDF gas block for removable optics HINT).

We will get the round handguards somehow. It makes sense for IWI to sell them because they allow integral suppression, which is a great way to set up an X95 either in 9mm or 300blk. Not everyone wants or needs miles and miles of quad rails. I only use the top rail on my X95 handguard for my Streamlight TLR-2 HL G. By having a lower rail on top of the handguard (Magpul rail currently), it keeps that light/laser combo from obstructing my optics. The reasons for wanting the round handguard aren't just for aesthetics (although that does matter); that handguard is really necessary for certain setups. Hopefully IWI will come around and see that. If not, I'm confident that we'll find a way as a community to make it happen.

* FullSizeRender 3.jpg (441.8 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 73 times.)

* FullSizeRender 2.jpg (452.1 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 68 times.)

* FullSizeRender.jpg (422.41 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 75 times.)

* IMG_0692.JPG (442.65 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 48 times.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:23:14 PM by BellatorInvictus » Logged

BellatorInvictus

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 08:20:57 PM »

Here's the IDF rail for the X95L, btw. Notice that it doesn't fully close the top of the weapon, unlike the current issue rails, as well as the short rail for the old issue 13" round-handguard versions. Also, it is a riser rail, which is meant to help with using the ACOG on it. There are multiple riser rails for the X95 and Tavor available here in the States--it's one of the more popular mods people make. The other thing I'll point out is that the rail extends all the way back over the gas block, because obviously no one needs to mount a magnifier or launcher sight directly behind an ACOG.

* תבור של הפלחה''ן.JPG (2717.66 KB, 3944x2769 - viewed 95 times.)

DubageL

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »

If you want message me on FB and I’ll send you the photos I have of the x95’s from the idf museum in Tel Aviv and stuff from my factory IDF Armorer manual.
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »

If you want message me on FB and I’ll send you the photos I have of the x95’s from the idf museum in Tel Aviv and stuff from my factory IDF Armorer manual.

PM sent.

DubageL

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »

Check your inbox 😉
BellatorInvictus

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »

Check your inbox 😉

Thank you for the great reference pics. Definitely saw things I haven't before!

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length