Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2019, 01:29:22 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  Tavor Suppressed Issues
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tavor Suppressed Issues  (Read 907 times)
johnlewjohn
New Posting Member

« on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »

New to the forum, and I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed, but I believe that there may be some fairly intelligent individuals on here and I have a very distinctly Tavor issue.

Tavor Suppressed Issue:
Increasing Severe POI shift when shooting suppressed.
The POI shift starts at about 3-4” below POA, @ 100yds and continues to drop to 8, 9, 10+” below POA at which point I usually stop shooting with the can. Windage appears unaffected.

•   16.5” Black Tavor, with Geissele Trigger and Lightning Bow
•   Optic is a Trijicon ACOG TA01 4x32: I had the Mepro M21 on when I originally noticed the issue
•   Suppressor is a Surefire SOCOM 300 SPS and I have 2 of these – same problem with both cans
•   Suppressor Adapter is a Warcomp: Had the Muzzle Break originally, changed it to see it made a difference
•   Suppressor alignment verified with Surefire Alignment rods
•   No baffle strikes or tinging sounds
•   Alternated  Cans between Tavor and  three separate platforms yesterday with zero POI shift on the other three platforms –
        MR762, Colt 6920, Noveske DMR
•   62 grain M855 green tip - SS109, and Hornady Black 168 grain 7.62
•   Top rail was shortened for aesthetics, it does not extend to the front end of the handguard,
        still uses the rear two mounting holes (can’t see how this would matter) Israelis use it in that configuration
•   Happens with multiple shooters
•   I AM STUMPED

I reached out to Surefire last week and talked to them first. Realized I needed to isolate the problem with some good old-fashioned process of elimination troubleshooting, which we did yesterday.
I did reach out to IWI and am waiting for a reply.

I believe that the issue is indeed related to the rifle not the cans.
Starting to wonder if this is a gas pressure issue. I wanted to Chrono the shots, but do not have one.
I find it difficult to believe that hanging the can on the barrel would cause that much deviation @100yds unless there is an actual problem with the barrel/trunnion.
Has anyone else come across something similar to this?
TIA for any help in solving this issue.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:33:49 AM »

Tavors are picky with cans...yours might just not work with it.

The Tavor was not designed to be a suppressor gun...OSS works really well...
rolfl
^

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »

I have same issue on X95 300BLK

Rugged Razor: 4” low @25yd
OSS Helix QD 762: 3” low @25yd

Different ammo similar results.

IWI advice: adjust sights and keep can on all the time

Zeiram3f

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »

Valuable information. I never shoot unsuppressed, but this is great information to have on hand regardless. Thanks for bringing it up.

Guess I’m keeping the OSS on my x95 permanently.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:46:13 PM »

Valuable information. I never shoot unsuppressed, but this is great information to have on hand regardless. Thanks for bringing it up.

Guess I’m keeping the OSS on my x95 permanently.

OSS for the win on the Tavors...
sboone

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »

This isnt 100% apples to apples but ive got one of the old OSS Helix 762 cans.  On my AUG and my 6 5 creedmoor Tikka the POI drops 3-5" from POA at 100yds, just happens and it's a repetitive POI shift, thats whats important is that your POI change is consistent, my groups also consistently get smaller with the can on the end of both guns, more so with the Tikka. I think the big takeaway is that you should expect POI change, but it should be consistent and not adversely affect group size
prtr3210

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 03:38:46 AM »

I have POI shift on one of my AR's (a pistol) and my Tavor just the same when suppressed. three other AR's and my VZ58, however, doesn't have any noticeable POI shift when suppressed. Hanging a weight on the barrel pulls it down. just like when run-and-gun match shooting, if someone rests the gun by the barrel, it will typically cause major accuracy issues resulting in a lot of misses. 

barrel profile and rigidity, the system's tolerances, how the whole gun acts during firing, etc. all come in as big factors, I can imagine.

I agree that consistency is key. I need to go bench-shoot my AR pistol at some ridiculously close ranges (25 yards or less) and see if I can quantify the exact shift in POI with the suppressor vs. without at certain ranges - especially if it'll ever be used defensively.   trial and error familiarization with any weapon can't hurt!
Andygold

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »

Maybe I'm missreading the OP's post, but I'm reading it as it progressively gets worse with more rounds.  It's starts off low when suppressed and as he puts more rounds through it per session, it progressively gets lower and lower over the session.  It's not a static issue.
Omega Storm
New Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »

I run a YHM-3400 .308 can on my 16.5" barrel Tavor. I also have a consistent POI change but I host the can on the rifle so the Mepro RDS, MX3F 3X magnifier., and the flip up BUIS are all zeroed to the can. You are hanging a weight on the end of your barrel and that will change its POI but apparently it doesn't do it on some rifles. Perfectly normal. I run a .308 can to minimize back gassing and it functions very well with all ammo.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »

Sounds like it is a heat issue with the progressive nature of it. You did not specify the number of rounds you are shooting but keep in mind the barrel is a thin profile. It heats up quick and you added about a pound of weight to the muzzle. Once you see it start drooping, stop and let it cool off. Then try another group.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length