Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 12, 2019, 03:54:37 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  Manticore Tavor SAR butt pad question
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Manticore Tavor SAR butt pad question  (Read 554 times)
headband

« on: June 23, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »

At round count 636 I installed the Manticore butt pad on my SAR.  At my next range session I fired 165
rounds of Federal XM193 and experienced approximately 35 instances of short stroking where the fired round ejected but the bolt failed to pick up the next round in the magazine.  Prior to this range session the Tavor was malfunction free with a wide variety of .223 / 5.56. The rifle is cleaned and well lubricated after each range session.

In comparing the factory issued butt pad with the Manticore it is apparent the issued one has more open voids in its interior design whereas the Manticore unit is relatively flat internally.  Additionally the factory unit has what appear to be purposely designed vents or baffles which, on my rifle anyhow, show distinct evidence of directing gasses / powder residue within the body of the butt pad. 

As a test, I reinstalled the factory issued butt pad and have now fired 1,300 malfunction free rounds of Federal XM193. The only variable appears to be the Manticore butt pad.

While the Manticore unit is no doubt extremely well made, has anyone else experienced short stroking with a Manticore butt pad installed in a rifle that was previously malfunction free? 
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »

Interesting observation. I havenít had issues yet.
boscoman

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »

I have both an X95 & SAR with their butt pad & have run over 1000 rounds through both with no issues.
Very strange & interesting that you have had this problem.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
headband

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »

Thanks for the replies and good to know you've both had positive results with yours.   I really want to like the Manticore unit and will give it another try soon.

My other experience with Israeli weapons is limited to the Uzi so don't know if they over design their more modern weapons,  but to , me that factory butt pad just looks like those vents / baffles or whatever they are called are there for a reason but not present on the "cleaner" or more simplified design of the Manticore.  Can't imagine it would be significant enough though to affect whatever gas reaches the rear of the rifle and then influence bolt carrier travel / velocity.

Anyhow, another range trip to give the Manticore unit another try will be informative.

Thanks again for your input.
boscoman

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:18:26 PM »

You have to remember that at least with the x95 the butt pad that we get was to make the rifle long enough not to be a NFA Short barrelled rifle. They just have a flat piece of plastic.
As to the thicker pad on the SAR, I was once told that the reason for the thick pad had to do with the grenade launcher on it & reducing recoil feel from it.

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it
headband

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:54:53 PM »

In searching the net for others with a similar glitch it seems apparent mine is an anomaly which is a good thing.

Thanks again.
headband

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »

In searching the net for others with a similar glitch it seems apparent mine is an anomaly which is a good thing.

Thanks again.

Edit:  For what it's worth, range session today 6/27/19 with Manticore butt pad.  Used same magazines as when the short stroking occurred and fired 120 rounds of Wolf Mil. Classic .223, 60 rounds of Federal XM855 5.56, and 60 rounds of Federal XM193 5.56.   No short stroking or any other problem encountered. 
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length