Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 06:50:20 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI TAVOR
| | |-+  IWI Tavor SAR & X-95
| | | |-+  X95 shooting in 500 yards?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X95 shooting in 500 yards?  (Read 553 times)
xiaohan

« on: June 18, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »

Going to a local service rifle match/practice, not sure if Tavor/X95 would be suitable for distance over 300 yards? Will be in standing, sitting and some prone position too. Seems others are using AR style semi-auto rifle with scope to shot.

I heard Tavor kind of bullpup is more like a CQB rifle, not really designed for anything over 2-300 yards, especially at 500 yards, the accuracy will be dramatically dropping.

Any comments?

Thank you.
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »

It is really design to be a 400m gun....
DyeF9

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:57:54 PM »

Based on the design alone, it wouldn't be my first choice. It's built so that small movements are easy and transition is fast. As a long range shooter, I would opt for something else. I'm sure it's capable of it, 16 or 18" version.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MajorKong

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »

It is easier to shoot prone or from a bench with a 10 or 20 round magazine because of the bullpup configuration.  The x95 is certainly capable of shooting out to 500 yds, but what kind of targets and what are your expectations?  The X95 is not well suited for long-range varmint or benchrest shooting.  At 500 yards wind is going to play a much larger factor than at 300 yardsr.  You should be fine with shooting USPA man-sized silhouettes or maybe even med-large sized pizza pans.  
thehun
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 05:21:35 PM »

It is easier to shoot prone or from a bench with a 10 or 20 round magazine because of the bullpup configuration.  The x95 is certainly capable of shooting out to 500 yds, but what kind of targets and what are your expectations?  The X95 is not well suited for long-range varmint or benchrest shooting.  At 500 yards wind is going to play a much larger factor than at 300 yardsr.  You should be fine with shooting USPA man-sized silhouettes or maybe even med-large sized pizza pans.  

I use a podium bi-pod...one of the best mods to a SAR...clears full mags prone
RebellionOnIce

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:48:49 PM »

There are videos on Youtube of competitions shooting out to 500 yards with Tavors. Take a look at their success rate and decide for yourself. It certainly can be done. 
xiaohan

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 10:57:34 PM »

Would be using this kind of military practice style target:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/electricfield/works/9991274-figure-11-military-gun-range-target?p=photographic-print

Or something with at least half meter in square size.

I think the course of fire would be like shoot, move the line to the next 100 yards, then shoot again. Simulating in a war, you move the line forwards. I am not sure what kind of sight I need, something fixed magnification like 3x or 4x would be enough?

I was thinking using a bolt action, but I guess the course of fire won't give me much time to load.
xiaohan

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »

There are videos on Youtube of competitions shooting out to 500 yards with Tavors. Take a look at their success rate and decide for yourself. It certainly can be done. 
Thank you. I will check that out.
Incognito
New Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »

I have never been a long range shooter but I just recently finished building my shooting platform that is 9' off the ground and allows me to shoot out to 800 yards over the top of the tall prairie grass.  On my first outing I shot my Tavor SAR 5.56 at 500  yards with a Vortex Spitfire 3x scope.  There was no wind.  I put up a piece of cardboard 36" wide by 60" tall and painted a black 24" dia. circle.  I shot two 5 shot groups to get the scope dialed in.  Then I fired a 5 shot group for accuracy and was able to get a 9.5" group.  This exceeded my expectations for a first try.  I think the Tavor SAR is very capable at these ranges.  If I can do sub 2 MOA groups then a more proficient rifleman could do even better.
xiaohan

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »

I have never been a long range shooter but I just recently finished building my shooting platform that is 9' off the ground and allows me to shoot out to 800 yards over the top of the tall prairie grass.  On my first outing I shot my Tavor SAR 5.56 at 500  yards with a Vortex Spitfire 3x scope.  There was no wind.  I put up a piece of cardboard 36" wide by 60" tall and painted a black 24" dia. circle.  I shot two 5 shot groups to get the scope dialed in.  Then I fired a 5 shot group for accuracy and was able to get a 9.5" group.  This exceeded my expectations for a first try.  I think the Tavor SAR is very capable at these ranges.  If I can do sub 2 MOA groups then a more proficient rifleman could do even better.
Thank you.

So a 3x or 4x fixed magnification scope is capable for 500 yards or less distance shooting, correct?
Rastoff
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »

I do some long range shooting. I shot this at 700 yards:

Of course I was using a precision rifle and match grade ammo.

As far as I'm concerned, the X95 is a 300 yard or closer gun. Bench rested and with cheap ammo, my X95 shoots about 2.5MOA. That means at 500 yards I should be counting on groups not better than 12.5" diameter. Change that to shooting unsupported and a man size target becomes challenging at 500 yards.

I can do much better with my 1MOA AR.

Remember, you can post here because they died over there.
Freedom isn't free.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length