Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 10:43:37 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Bore sight questions
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bore sight questions  (Read 376 times)
Andygold

« on: June 11, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »

Just picked up a cartridge-style bore sight on Amazon.  It's in .223 with a red laser. I purchased it for use in an AUG.

In hand, at a few feet from a wall, I can see that it is putting out a straight line as opposed to a dot.  The line does not appear to get any larger over distance as far as I can tell.

I don't know if a line is what it's supposed to put out, but when in the barrel, I guess the length of the barrel causes the line to look like a round dot at distance.

When I place it in the barrel, the bolt will not close all the way. I can see a gap of about 1/2 inch.  I haven't let the bolt slam it into the barrel as I was afraid to damage the sight.  I've ridden the bolt home, and tried to use the charging handle to push the sight in further, but no luck.

With the barrel removed from the receiver, the sight appears to sit in the chamber with an almost snug fitment... Just like an actual cartridge.  I had to shake the barrel to get the sight to Fall out. And it looks like it is going in to the proper depth, so I'm unsure why the bolt won't fully close.

I installed some irons on the extended rail, and adjusted windage and elevation to put the dot just above the front post at about 60 feet (length of hallway with a bedroom at each end).  I then pulled the bore sight out, reinstalled it a few times and the dot was still on top of the post each time... Even though the bolt won't close fully.

As this is my first time using a bore sight, I have absolutely no clue as to whether any of this is normal or not.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:30:42 PM by Andygold » Logged
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »

I seem to remember when I saw my dealer use one that it presented a dot.  However, that could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and I'd check the documentation to be sure.

Kurt
whiskey91lima

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:53:34 PM »

Honestly, bore sights are overrated. They help you get an initial sight in so your within the ballpark but they won't be much good for accuracy.
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »

Honestly, bore sights are overrated. They help you get an initial sight in so your within the ballpark but they won't be much good for accuracy.

Completely agree with this!  I watched my dealer/smith try to educate some young know-it-all who just couldn't understand that just because his AR's optic was "bore sighted" that he would still have to refine its zero.  He just couldn't grasp that the laser puts a dot that theoretically in the middle of the barrel's bore and completely parallel to it, and the optic is then zeroed to that dot...but nothing in that process accounts for the actual ballistics and how the barrel stabilizes the bullet.

I think the guy was in for a rude awakening when he didn't get instant headshots at 100m...

Kurt
Andygold

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 01:51:11 PM »

Can anyone else possibly comment on my original questions?

Thanks
kfeltenberger
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:54:25 PM »

Have you contacted the manufacturer to verify the product's behavior?  Without knowing the brand, model number, specific part number, etc., all that can be offered is speculation...the manufacturer can offer answers. 

Kurt
Andygold

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 03:44:32 PM »

Chinese manufacturer.  No paperwork included in package other than for batteries.

I was just curious if anyone else out there had a cartridge-style bore sighter and if it fully chambered when installed properly.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length